Question

Thread: Question

ride98

Question

I was wonderin if anyone here can tell me how to debadge my car PROPERLY without damaging any of the paint. Thanks.

Bike
    05 Gixxer 1000 LE Supermoto: 07 DRZ400SM Dirt: 09 Kawasaki KX450F Monster Ed. 07 Custom Chopper
    Are you talking stickers or what?

Stickers I just use my thumbnail and lightly pick at an edge and try and work my way across to start rolling the whole thing in on piece. Then use adhesive remover thats safe on paint and plastic to get rid of excess or left behind glue. Dont use a razor blade! You'll just fuck up your paint.

If your talkin about a badge, badge like an emblem... first find out if its attached via glue, or riveted on. IF its attached by glue you can get a flat phillips screwdriver and wrap it in a towel. Try and work it under the emblem without touching the paint surface and work it under and try and pry the emblem off. Using a air dryer or heat gun helps alot. Then use adhesive remover to get rid of the glue. Also be sure to wax the surface after your done as adhesive remover tends to strip wax too.

If its riveted on your screwed. Cuz removing it will leave 2 small holes which a body shop will have to fill in and spray.
    Last edited by PUREVIL; 04-23-2005 at 07:31 PM.
    Mayor Of "Poserville"

<----- Current Avatart Is *NWS*

Kawi=Junk™, Honda=Boring™, Suzuki=Wannabes™, Yamaha=Posers™, Ducati=Overrated™, Aprilia=Insecure™, BMW=Compensation™, Harley Davidson=Garbage™, Buell=See Harley™

Bike
    tiz Red.
    Quote Originally Posted by PUREVIL
    Are you talking stickers or what?

Stickers I just use my thumbnail and lightly pick at an edge and try and work my way across to start rolling the whole thing in on piece. Then use adhesive remover thats safe on paint and plastic to get rid of excess or left behind glue. Dont use a razor blade! You'll just fuck up your paint.
    Can also heat it up (ie: hair dryer/heat gun) will help remove loosen the adheasive.

If the emblems are mounted, you can pull them straight off, however you will be left with holes and little rubber grommets in place of. You would need to have a body shop fill and paint them to get rid of them.
    BCSB- Moderator
    Spink.ca

Bike
    05 Gixxer 1000 LE Supermoto: 07 DRZ400SM Dirt: 09 Kawasaki KX450F Monster Ed. 07 Custom Chopper
    I said that already asshat..... trying to play off my genius!
    Mayor Of "Poserville"

Kawi=Junk™, Honda=Boring™, Suzuki=Wannabes™, Yamaha=Posers™, Ducati=Overrated™, Aprilia=Insecure™, BMW=Compensation™, Harley Davidson=Garbage™, Buell=See Harley™

Bike
    tiz Red.
    Spink posted: Today, 06:29 PM

J edited at: Last edited by PUREVIL : Today at 06:31 PM.

pwned hardcore.
    BCSB- Moderator
    Spink.ca

Bike
    WRONG I was in my train of thought.... so my train is slow today I've been sitting in the sun working my tan.
    Mayor Of "Poserville"

You like popsicles? Array Hogie's Avatar
    Bike
    huh?
    if by badge you mean emblems, then a lot of them are just held on with double sided tape. use a putty knife to pry it off. push the knife between the emblem and the body.just make sure you put any pressure on the emblems not the body. then to get the tape of the car you can just rub it off with your thumbs, it sucks, but it works. Or buy a pinstripe eraser. it's just a rubber wheel that looks like the same sort of material that rubber erasers are made out of. you can put it on a drill and it works not too bad.

but like others have said it could be held on with rivets or just alignment pins. in which case you'll have holes. don't worry if you break the alignment pins either, if for some reason you ever decide to put them back on the car....

ride98
    thanks for the replies.

Greeneyes
    Here's another way i found to work for removing glued-on badges-plastic straps. you know, the narrow white ones they use for packaging boxes and what-not. heat up the badge somewhat and work the strap under it. not as quick as a knife/screwdriver/puttyknife, but zero chance of it snapping off and gouging your paint. used this way many times, i'm a detailer.

Registered User Array Boondock Saint's Avatar
    Bike
    2006 Honda CB 599
    I've heard that the heatgun method works well (provided the badge is just stuck on). Rather than risking scratching your paint with a screwdriver or puttyknife, try heating up the badge, and use fishing line to take the badge off (make a "U" shape with the line at one end of the badge, and pull with both hands towards the other end...make sense?). You can then use a product like "Goo-Gone" to get rid of the adhesive...but MAKE SURE ITS PAINT SAFE.