BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Just a noob question...

2K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  NV HondaGurl 
#1 ·
Hey all, I've been lurking around for a few days now and decided to post.

I've looked around at a few things, found a couple of bikes I'm considering purchasing (as soon as I can get a line of credit)... And am now looking at insurance rates.

There seems to be a lot of talk about it, but it's hard to find someone who can help me understand how much I will pay cause most have way more experience...

Anyhow, I'm looking at a 600cc and I've got 2 years safe driving and I live in Kelowna. I'm 18 at the moment and I am curious how much a month insuring a bike of that size would be with 1mil liability, comprehensive???

Thanks a lot guys...

#5 ·
ShizaBrotha said:

I've looked around at a few things, found a couple of bikes I'm considering purchasing (as soon as I can get a line of credit)... And am now looking at insurance rates.

There seems to be a lot of talk about it, but it's hard to find someone who can help me understand how much I will pay cause most have way more experience...

Anyhow, I'm looking at a 600cc and I've got 2 years safe driving and I live in Kelowna. I'm 18 at the moment and I am curious how much a month insuring a bike of that size would be with 1mil liability, comprehensive???

Thanks a lot guys...

I just moved here from Ontario and was quoted $1900/year for my Ninja 1200 (full coverage) and $500/year for my DR200 enduro (with the bare minimum coverage) with 10 years clean riding record... just to give you an idea of the price range. Apparently, anything above 400cc there's a big jump in price, regardless of the type of bike.

G
#6 ·
biggest affecting issues seem to be
a) displacement.
b) declared value
c)your discount / premium

My '89 CBR600 (decl. $3500) was 125ish/month with 20% disco.
My '98 CBR900 (decl. $6000) is 210ish/month with 25% disco.
same coverages extra mill, specified perrils(sp?) no comp, no coll.

#8 · (Edited)
Schoey said:
dont forget about the private insurance option. I use Megson & Fitzpatrick. It seemed to be cheaper than ICBC.
He won't qualify for any private insurance as he has less than 10 years driving experience and no riding experience. Stick to something small right now. As has been said already, 400cc and lower is much less insurance.
For example:
1988 RZ 350
I have 43% disc.
800 declared value
2 million liability
No comprehensive or collision
On the Autoplan 12 I pay a whopping 34 bucks a month for that bike.

And damn is the RZ fun to ride.

#10 ·
cyclestarter said:
Coast Capital private insurance is good for riders with minimum 3 years experience.
On average, 6 months of ICBC rate is what a year at CC will run you with the same coverage.

thats my 2 cents ...

Thanks a lot... I will definately check that out... I'm just working on my third safe driving year right now. As I have said, I've ridden dirtbikes since I was a little gaffer and I've ridden streetbikes before to (hmm hmmm ummm I will just say in parking lots ;-)

Anyhow, Great to get the replies... Just hoping to pass my learners now, and then get a loan to cover the rest of the bike!

#11 ·
ShizaBrotha said:

Thanks a lot guys...

Hey there, Just to give you and idea

Insuring my 2001 R6 when i live in Kamloops BC, last year..
first of all, I dont know what these ppls are talking about monthly insurance. Everytime I have insure my bike I ask if there monthly insurance, but they tell me there isn't...You have to insure either 3months at a time, 6months or a year...I insured my bike 3months at a time for a cost $650. Thats w/ Full Coverage,n w/ 35% discount, declared at $9000.

But if your only 18, I could be wrong but expect to pay proly a lil' more...But living in Kelowna will def. help you out, cus insurance rates there are lower, jus like in Kamloops, In Vancouver there freaking really high, cus of all the accidents. Neways hope that help you out.

Oh and I would pick a older Carb R6 any day over a F4i, Im only getting a newer fuel injected R1 cus there now fuel injected....Yamaha rocks Hondas any day, unless its a RC51, thats a diff. story. YAMAHAS LOOK SICK and Ride and feel even Sicker, AGREE?

#12 ·
SouthEV said:
Hey there, Just to give you and idea

Insuring my 2001 R6 when i live in Kamloops BC, last year..
first of all, I dont know what these ppls are talking about monthly insurance. Everytime I have insure my bike I ask if there monthly insurance, but they tell me there isn't...You have to insure either 3months at a time, 6months or a year...I insured my bike 3months at a time for a cost $650. Thats w/ Full Coverage,n w/ 35% discount, declared at $9000.

But if your only 18, I could be wrong but expect to pay proly a lil' more...But living in Kelowna will def. help you out, cus insurance rates there are lower, jus like in Kamloops, In Vancouver there freaking really high, cus of all the accidents. Neways hope that help you out.

Oh and I would pick a older Carb R6 any day over a F4i, Im only getting a newer fuel injected R1 cus there now fuel injected....Yamaha rocks Hondas any day, unless its a RC51, thats a diff. story. YAMAHAS LOOK SICK and Ride and feel even Sicker, AGREE?
Oh but I soooo AGREE ;-)

They look way sicker, but the fact that they didn't fuel inject them until 03 pisses me off.... But I've ridden the R6, it is SICK, nutty ass power, and LOOKS LIKE A SEXY WOMEN grrrrr

#13 ·
I am a newer rider in a similar situation as yourself, I also live in Kelowna.
I've been shopping for a new bike for a long time and have a deal pending on an 02 r6 right now.

I have been getting insurance quotes every few months for the past year. Changing options here and there to see how it will affect my monthly payment.

Last time I checked:

- 2 Million Liability (wouldn't go lower)
- 600cc bike
- Declared value of 6500
- 6 month term
- Comprehensive (theft/fire/vandalism)
- No collision
- 35% discount

Works out to roughly 109 bucks a month.
Add collision and the price goes up, check with your autoplan broker to see what the brackets are for declared values. 7501 - X is one bracket whereas X-7500 is a lower bracket, and thus cheaper.

#14 ·
SouthEV said:
first of all, I dont know what these ppls are talking about monthly insurance. Everytime I have insure my bike I ask if there monthly insurance, but they tell me there isn't...You have to insure either 3months at a time, 6months or a year...
Your choice of terms is limited to three months, six months or a year, but ICBC does offer the option of financing the insurance to pay it off monthly over the length of your term (I did a year at a time, so I don't know if the financing option is offered for three- or six-month terms). There is a financing fee for that arrangement. That's what people are meaning by "monthly."

#15 ·
$160 for a 97 750cc with 15% , million liability, fire and theft, and no collision

good tip
get fire and theft instead of comprehensive

comprehensive is fire, theft, windshield and vandalism

its cheaper, and its unlikely ull need windshield or vandalism coverage

#16 ·
thehump said:
good tip
get fire and theft instead of comprehensive

comprehensive is fire, theft, windshield and vandalism

its cheaper, and its unlikely ull need windshield or vandalism coverage
When I insured mine the difference between fire/theft only and comprehensive was only about $5. It's the theft part of it that makes it expensive. I would rather pay the extra few $$ than be screwed if someone kicks the bike over.

#18 ·
NV HondaGurl said:
When I insured mine the difference between fire/theft only and comprehensive was only about $5. It's the theft part of it that makes it expensive. I would rather pay the extra few $$ than be screwed if someone kicks the bike over.

When I insured, comprehensive was actually cheaper than specified perils by 50 bucks...go figure.

I think a lot depends on the amount of deductible you choose.

#19 ·
masonjarz said:
When I insured, comprehensive was actually cheaper than specified perils by 50 bucks...go figure.

I think a lot depends on the amount of deductible you choose.
I have no idea how it works...I just wanted to point out that going with fire/theft only or specified perils rather than comprehensiveis NOT necessarily cheaper. With this you should definitely check before you assume. I don't know anyone personally who has found it cheaper than comprehensive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.