Shifting

Thread: Shifting

Bike
    S

Shifting

I'm not sure if I'm understanding these numbers properly. It says I should shift at those speeds? Why so low?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Jackie Chan's stuntdouble Array Motorcycle Man's Avatar
    Bike
    CBR600 F4
    Quote Originally Posted by coolio
    I'm not sure if I'm understanding these numbers properly. It says I should shift at those speeds? Why so low?
    Those are minimum speeds for shifting. Just ignore that and shift when it feels right.

Bike
    S
    My redline is at 14k. Is half-way good? Like do most of my shifts at 7k? I want to prolong my engine.

poseur. Array
    Bike
    :)
    Sounds good. My redline is at 12k and I shift at 5k on the street...just shift when it feels right...its different for each situation when you need power

Registered User Array
    Bike
    2005 Kawasaki ZX6R
    That list may also be for "break in" they usually want you to take it easy and not ring it out for the first while.

Registered User Array kamen rider's Avatar
    Bike
    Honda
    Quote Originally Posted by coolio
    My redline is at 14k. Is half-way good? Like do most of my shifts at 7k? I want to prolong my engine.
    I usually shift when it feels right. When I'm on the street or just cruising, I shift at around 5000-6000.
    When I am very busy traffic or caught in rush hour, I tend to shift at a higher rev just in case I need the extra power to get out of any risky situations. You never know when you have to dart into that opening when a careless driver decides to move into you....

Bike
    2002 SV650S Ghost
    Shift at 10.

You'll hear 10 people give you 10 different answers. All ranging from 5G to red line and beyond! If you switch within your powerband, you'll have no problems in traffic. You'll always have power to get out of hairy situations. I tend to ride in 2nd in the city. 3rd once I hit 50 and above. It's also because I have a twin with a pipe and I "try" to keep it quiet.

I'd shift when you are just into the powerband. A quick shift down is very simple. Helps more if you know how to powershift. Learn to shift first before any sort of clutchless shifting.

retired panda racer...~_~ Array HydeNobuyuki's Avatar
    Bike
    It's big and heavy.. must be a sport tourer
    I agree with Dru...

and like i told you before, coolio, don't shift based on your speed... shift based on your rpm and the situation you're in... (uh.. you probably don't want to be staring at your gauges anyways)

and on your bike (and mine) you have to keep it revved up above 7k!
    or you're way outta the powerband (into absolute no power country) and apparently it'll contribute to carbon buildup faster...

i shift 9-13 depending on the situation, but usually around 10.
    when your rpm drop down to 7-8 it feels like that's low RPM anyways... you don't need to go lower than that unless you're stopping or slow speed riding...

with regards to the ZZR 250... i think they told us at action, not to be afraid to rev the ... out of it
    Last edited by HydeNobuyuki; 04-30-2005 at 10:52 AM.

Bike
    '07 BMW K1200R
    The shift speeds in your manual are bullshit. They're only there for legal purposes. The manufacturer would look pretty stupid in court if they printed the real shift speeds.
    My Gixxer 1000 manual says to shift to 6th at 60km/h. I'm going faster than that when I shift into 2nd, and that's when I'm puttering around town.
    What was it all about?

Registered User Array Commuter Boy's Avatar
    Bike
    Suzuki Bandit
    Ride it like you stole it. The little buggers don't have any power down low.

Come to think of it, they don't have all that much at 13,000 either, but
    they do get more entertaining up there.

More importantly is smooth shifting, missing shifts is really hard on the tranny.

Bike
    08 KLR
    Look more closely at the first column. Those are the recommended SHITTING speeds. You can shift whenever you like.
    Transportation is serious business.

Bike
    '07 BMW K1200R
    Quote Originally Posted by r1100s
    Look more closely at the first column. Those are the recommended SHITTING speeds. You can shift whenever you like.
    They're still pretty low for shitting speeds. I usually shit when my speedo hits 280.
    What was it all about?