Thread: Grrr!

95 Ninja ZX600C

ok, need some help. i've had the bike insured for months now and it started running rough at low revs recently. so it turned out that it was a flooded cylinder. i cleared the cylinders, rode it, and turns out it flooded again. so i figure my float valve was sticking, so i took the carbs off the bike.

when i pulled it apart, turns out that one of the float heights was a little out of spec, so i adjusted it. sprayed the jets with some carb cleaner and made sure there was no bits clogging anything up. i also adjusted the idle jet to 2 1/4 turns out, like the manual says. put the carb back on and everything was hunky-dory.

fired her and went on my way. she was running a little rough, but i figure that's cuz the carbs are still filling up. about 15 kms into my ride, i stopped at a light. my revs started going down and it stalled on me. i tried starting it but no luck. the only way i could get it started was with the throttle on.

what's wrong with it? HELP!!!

2. Remove Advertisements

Out to pasture in the 'Wack
    04 Kawi Z1000,
    Usually it's not the float that sticks. Instead the most common flooding problem is a bad float needle or seat or the O ring that often seals between the seat and the body of the carb.

You'll have to strip the carbs out again and this time gently remove the floats and the float needles. Inspect the rubber tips of the needles with a strong light and a powerful magnifying glass (a 50 mm SLR camera lens makes a great magnifier). Also remove and replace the O rings or paper gaskets and check the seats for signs of corrosion or crud buildup. A gentle cleaning with a Scotchbrite pad that only removes the crud and smoothens the surface may get you back in business. Don't try to polish it back to bright brass or you may change the roundness of the seat area with the amount of metal removed to restore a shine. Just smoothen out any buildup roughness. Reassemble and try it out. If it's a vacuum operated petcock check the vacuum line from the one carb's manifold to the petcock for gas dripping out that line. Often the control diaphram inside develops a crack in the rubber membrane.
    A backyard mechanic without a service manual is just like a hooker without a lamp pole.... they are both in the dark.