FZ6 or R6 ?

Thread: FZ6 or R6 ?

Bike
    Dumptruck

FZ6 or R6 ?

Can anyone give some input on what bike would be more suitable, an '03-05 Yamaha FZ6 or an '03-05 R6. My bro has been riding about 2 seasons now, started on a cruiser, now he wants to get a sportbike and is thinking about starting on a '05 FZ6. Anyone had experiences with both?

PS: What was the first year R6's were fuel injected?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    05 Yamaha FZ6
    I have a 05 FZ6, great bike, easy to ride and comfortable. I'm 52 so I like the more upright position which is what I've been used to. Looks real sharp, especially from the rear, I've added a fender eliminator and a seat cowl which really cleans up the looks. I ride it to work daily. The blue one is the best!

Bike
    2005 Yamaha R6

R6

I have an 05 R6, Its a sweet bike but its not ment for long rides. Its a great starter bike i think. Its only my second bike. Solid bike to start on and definetly will grow with the rider as you get better. Plus look at it.

Registered User Array Krazy_j604's Avatar
    Bike
    turbocharged scooter
    03 was the first year the R6 used fuel injection

Super-Fast Redneck Array jschapansky's Avatar
    Bike
    99' Yamaha R6 turned Streetfighter
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy_j604
    03 was the first year the R6 used fuel injection
    i second that
    2 wheels or 4 wheel drive

No bike for now... Array Betamax's Avatar
    Bike
    Honda Civic
    If he's used to cruiser ergos, tell him to get the FZ6, no question. If he buys the R6 he'll think it's a torture rack after a cruiser.

Registered User Array SilverSV650S's Avatar
    Bike
    2009 Suzuki Gladius
    I'd say have your bro sit on both and see how he feels. I understand that the FZ6 is tuned for everyday riding whereas R6, more sportsbike riding. I was eyeing an FZ6 but good luck on finding a used one, not too many around. Plus look at this:

Je ne suis pas Francais Array nutcracker's Avatar
    Bike
    none at the moment
    Quote Originally Posted by Betamax
    If he's used to cruiser ergos, tell him to get the FZ6, no question. If he buys the R6 he'll think it's a torture rack after a cruiser.
    I agree with that , there's too much difference in the riding position between the R6 and a cruiser , tell him he get the FZ6 , it's an awsome bike although it's a yamaha.
    2010 can't affort a bike anymore
    2006 Husqvarna 610SM
    2004 VFR
    2003 R1
    2002 KTM LC4
    1998 ZX6-R
    I'd rather be scared to death than bored to death.

Got Crazy? Array crazycharlie909's Avatar
    Bike
    2012 Diavel Carbon
    Its funny to hear people say the r6 isn't meant for long rides, or its not meant for everyday riding. I ride mine as much as possible, and I've gone on some 6 hour( or longer rides) Its all to do with the person I think, your brother might find it quite suitable for his needs, or he might not, but the R6 is easily an everyday rider if it fits you good.

P.S. I'm 6'4" 215 pounds and mine rides like a beauty
    Suck it Trebek!!!

Shiftless clutcher Array ZoomaFoo's Avatar
    Bike
    '01 GSX-R600 race bike
    I haven't ridden an FZ6, but although Yamaha claims to have tuned its R6-derived engine for more mid-range driveability, several road tests I've read claim that it's still rather peaky and you still have to rev it for best power... FZ6 owners will be able to confirm or deny that, however.

It really comes down to what type of riding he plans to do. IMO, the R6 is quite comfortable for a race-rep 600, at least for me (I'm just under 5'8"). Like others have said, he should at least sit on each one (if he can't arrange a test ride) to see which fits him best. Remember that an uncomfortable seat can always be replaced with a Corbin or the like.
    "When in doubt, FLAT OUT!"

Bike
    05 Yamaha FZ6
    I'm 5'9'' and 180 lbs and I feel comfortable on it, newer riders may want a lower bike ??? Slow speed handling is a breeze.
    Things really start to happen over 9000rpm and it howls very nicely! I've never ridden an R6 but I'm pretty sure I could not it through it's paces here on these roads in Vancouver. I'm from London. U.K.( been here since 76) and the level of car driving over here is unbelievable...seems like everybody has a broken left arm and cannot use their turn signals.....still keeps the old grey matter working and the blood pumping!
    So to get back to topic.....FZ6 Great bike, I almost brought a cruiser last year, phew! sure glad I didn't. But I do miss my Triumph Speedtwin.

Bike
    2004 R1, 2005 DL1000 V-Strom
    I'd suggest an 2 - 5 year old YZF 600. It's a better bike than the two listed IMO.

Reformatted to fit your screen.

Bike
    '03 Yamaha R6
    Have your bro sit on both for awhile. See if either cause him discomfort, but you wont really notice any unless you ride it 200 kms.

If he likes the crusier stance, then I would say FZ6 would be a better fit.

Tell him to get which ever one he likes the best.

2003 was the first year for fuel injection.
    2004 had a remapped FI
    2005 has quite a few improvments.

P.S. - Tell him to get the blue one!
    Bender: Aw, I think I got whiplash.
    Leela: You can't have whiplash, you don't have a neck.
    Bender: I meant ass whiplash.