BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

dB limit change at Mission!

6K views 83 replies 30 participants last post by  jonathan 
#1 ·
The big news at Mission today was that as of Round 3 all bikes must meet 90 dB. Now I know everyone will be up in arms about this but remember the WMRC is only a renter of the track and this new rule has been passed down on us and we have to meet it or we are gone. You can thank the Mayor and the residents of Mission for this. They got on the CCCBC and this is the result.

Dig out those stock cans! Or hook up with Hank Visor and get one of those plugs he makes that will cut your dB level. You should get on this for the next round as you will be better able to see were you sit and not have to worry about being DQed. Back to the garage fellow racers....

#6 ·
lowprofile said:
Are you talking about the baffle plate (circle with holes drilled in it) I see safety wired to a few exhaust outlets at mission?
That's the one. Hank has been building them for a few years now and they do work. Graham Buck says that on a SV he dynoed there was a small boost in power when the plug was used and the noise dropped a few dB. Worth trying as they are cheap and quick.

#8 ·
It's the "not in my back yard" shit that got the Westwood Track shut down. People are so goofy. They move into an area that has a track or airport and then want it closed down.

Still we are there now so let enjoy.....

#9 ·
ZoomaFoo said:
I'm quite familiar with the situation, I'm just looking for some numbers.
The deal with the dragsters is that they put out a short blast of noise and then it takes them ten minutes to set-up again. We just go on for 12-15 minutes. Ok, Now here's the kicker. I work across the street from the track in the Mission Junction and some of the drag races go to 11:00 pm! I heard they get complaints about those too. People just love to complain. At least it's like Dave said we tried to do something about it on Saturday by picking to top 6 noisiest bikes and fixing them. Now as Stefan says the limit has been lowered.

#10 ·
Good old Pete said:
It's an issue bigger than WRMC can handle, and I'm certain the coming years it will get more restrictive in mission.
You are right Pete, apparently someone has it in for the WMRC & motorcycle racing at Mission and has made it their personal mission (no pun intended) to complain like crazy to try and shut us down. Even when we are within their guidelines of sound limits that they set for us, we are at risk of being banned from the track - lovely.

Good times, good times. :thumbup

#12 ·
Rainman said:
I urge everyone to do every possible thing they can to make their bike the quietest on the track. Perhaps free racing for the quietest bike? We'll see.

Thanks, Al
Free? Did I read free? woo!
Seriously though, Stock bikes go pretty good and a stock bike with race gas goes even better, or so I've been told ( I run 87 octane so what do I know).
If you don't have a stock pipe for your bike and don't want to bolt a 15 pound muffler back on, try this- phone up your local bike shop and offer a case of beer or two for a stock GSX-R 1000 muffler that has come off an ICBC crasher and is headed for the dumpster. The newer ones are titanium, light and have a nice 4 bolt flange that your local welder should be able to adapt fairly easily. The one I have on my 1100 flows well enough that I did not have to re-jet from the Muzzy that you could hear in Misson while I was still in Abbotsford! There should be lots of stock cans laying around that are scratched and dented and would work good on a race bike. Remember, BEER.

#13 ·
just measure the sound from farther away. if the mayor doesn't remember that 95 dB was what was agreed on, he surely won't know at what distance the measurement is to be taken.

oh, so were some records kept from yesterday as to what everyone was blowing? I'd like to know where I stand with my stock F4. Jayson, you said maybe 89 dB, can I get a confirmation?

G
#14 ·
Al, I'm not sure if this has been done yet or not (sounds like it hasn't) but either the club or Ron should get this "agreement" in writing before they take us to court and claim that the "original" deal was 80db.
Get them to sign it too. I bet you anything they won't do it. Not because they don't want the noise but because they don't want us there.

#15 ·
i know cg's rs 125 blew 96db at the testn tune,we went and bought a new stock muffler for it and brought it down to 88-91 for this weekend but i really dont think we can get it any lower.lets hope we dont get meatballed while in the lead,that would suck.I'll see what else we can do.

G
#16 ·
Were the DB's recorded for each bike? Or were just the ones over 95 recorded? If the club could post on the WMRC website our DB's, it would help us all to figure out who needs to make changes and how drastic they need to be.

#19 ·
uh oh that sounds dangerous. my bike with a Stock Pipe was dangerous to blow over and I was told to be prepared.

I even got hank to make me a cover, though I havent picked it up yet.

Now I'm scared that even with the cover I wont be able to race. Do they bring the meter to all days so that I might be able to find out just how high I'm blowing?

disapointing for sure, I hope I can get my bike down that low.

#20 ·
arai said:
uh oh that sounds dangerous. my bike with a Stock Pipe was dangerous to blow over and I was told to be prepared.

I even got hank to make me a cover, though I havent picked it up yet.

Now I'm scared that even with the cover I wont be able to race. Do they bring the meter to all days so that I might be able to find out just how high I'm blowing?

disapointing for sure, I hope I can get my bike down that low.
I ran my crf this weekend with stock exhaust and no plug. I wasn't bothered at all. However, a year and a half ago when the bike was new, it blew over at mission. Maybe our mufflers are quieter to the db reader after all the packing is blown out. It's a mystery, the moral is be prepared to modify at the track if yopu want to ride, no back up plan could mean watching instead of riding.

#21 ·
Rainman said:
I urge everyone to do every possible thing they can to make their bike the quietest on the track. Perhaps free racing for the quietest bike? We'll see.

Thanks, Al
I was being bugged by a couple people that they couldn't even here me on the straight.

Sweet! Free racing here I come!!! :D:D:D

#23 ·
Taters said:
Between this and the kink, Seattle is looking pretty good right now.
Here we go again!

Every track has issues. It's your choice were you race. Have fun at PIR.

Personally I have never found Mission any worse than PIR. Lets just all continue to work towards making it better and safer. The event this weekend was not the norm for the WMRC. We had a few moments throughout the two days that we all could have done without. Still at the end of it all we had a lot of positive feedback. Some even claim it is the most organized the club has ever been. (Way to go Allen Beck!) Let's keep this momentum going rather than throwing away all our hard work. Stef

G
#24 ·
NFG said:
Here we go again!

Every track has issues. It's your choice were you race. Have fun at PIR.

Personally I have never found Mission any worse than PIR. Lets just all continue to work towards making it better and safer. The event this weekend was not the norm for the WMRC. We had a few moments throughout the two days that we all could have done without. Still at the end of it all we had a lot of positive feedback. Some even claim it is the most organized the club has ever been. (Way to go Allen Beck!) Let's keep this momentum going rather than throwing away all our hard work. Stef
The unfortunate reality is that as the club grows and as the grids grow along with it, these unnusual events will become usual. This weekend was a demonstration of just how lucky everyone has been so far. The kink problem must be addressed, someone WILL be very seriously injured if it is not.

I agree that rather than throwing away all this hard work we must keep the momentum going by finally dealing with the major safety issues on this track. One sure fire way to throw it all away is too leave it as it is. Word of something like the crash at the kink spreads like wildfire and very rapidly results in people saying forget racing here, or even worse yet, forget racing!

On a side not NFG, PIR is in portland.

#25 ·
Wasn't SIR renamed Pacific Internatinal Raceway (PIR)?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.