Restuffing rider seat

Thread: Restuffing rider seat

Registered User Array
    2002 CBR 954RR

Restuffing rider seat

Has anyone tried this with their bikes? I know I could go and get a Corbin seat for $300, but I'm sure you can find the same foam they use in a Corbin seat for a lot cheaper, and shave it down yourself. Obviously there is a lot more work involved than that, but can it be done? Or should I just save myself the trouble and break the bank? Let me know what you think. If anyone's got some pics of results (good or bad), post up.

2. Remove Advertisements

It's a Honda!!!
    a suggestion would be a place that specializes in upholstery. They may have the materials that you need to put a seat together. And maybe a couple of hints to make sure you do it right.

Out to pasture in the 'Wack
    04 Kawi Z1000,
    Found this question while looking for the Luimoto link in another thread.

I've done a few saddles myself and it's not that hard to do the shaping but it IS hard to find the right foam. The Corbin stuff is very special. It's supposed to be a memory foam used in aircraft seats.

I'm just doing a new saddle for my Z1000 to replace the butt buster they call a saddle. After trying a few foams I finally went with multiple glued up layers of a blue camp pad foam that is sold by MEC. It's firm but pliable and feels nice to sit on with a couple of layers to coddle your cheeks. It cuts well with a razor sharp knife and sands down nicely using some 36 grit garnet paper. 3M spray 77 glue works nicely to bond the layers together.

To modify a stock saddle to make it a bit more comfy I would suggest you just modify the stock foam. It's actually darn good stuff. Start by cutting a horizontal slit from the nose back to about the mid point. Or a little further if you're tall and want the sweetspot further back. Then using some of that sleeping pad foam make up a curve topped wedge that is about 2 or 3 layers thick at the front and slopes down with a concave curve on the upper side and flat on the bottom. Spray adhesive in the slit stock foam and onto the wedge. Get it in place as well as you can. Now you want to turn the crown where you sit into a bit of a dish and blend that dish into the now raised nose. For rough trimming a wire cup wheel and an angle grinder is like a laser beam on the foam. A light and very careful touch is needed. Get it roughed out and then use the sandpaper to do the final shaping.

With any luck you can recover it with the stock stuff.

Here's my Z1000 saddle. Yes it's thick but it's actually very thin at the rear center (the white you see is the seat pan itself) but the dish shape and desire to have the sweet spot well to the rear forced a very thick nose. This is a fully custom build up version. There's still the final 1/2 inch layer to go on and some final shaping to be done.
    A backyard mechanic without a service manual is just like a hooker without a lamp pole.... they are both in the dark.