BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

KM's on a bike... Where do you draw the line???

2K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  FJRpilot 
#1 ·
Hey guys,
In the car world 30000 K isn't much at all, but it seems like a lot of people freak out about high milage on bikes... May I ask why?

Do bikes not stand up as well? Where abouts would you draw the line on KM's when buying a used bike? And if you wouldn't where would be a good line to draw to start bargaining on the price because of "high Milage"

G
#2 ·
people think seasons when they think bikes. you don't ride in winter, you put the bike away in fall, and don't bring it out until late spring. that should mean low mileage.

but on the west coast, the riding season is almost year round, so mileages should be higher. look at maintenance done on a high mileage bike, not the odometer.

#3 ·
That really depends on the make of bike and how well it's maintained.

If you're buying a, say, VFR, having 30k km is nothing, if it's well maintained. The bike is designed for long distance riding.

If you're buying a, say, RR, having 30k km may seem somewhat on the higher side to me. Still, if it's properly maintained, I wouldn't worry about it.

I bought my old CBR at 46,000 km, but it runs great coz it was well maintained. Now it's at 60,000 km and still running great.

What bike are you looking at?

G
#5 ·
Hershey said:
I would also guess that people ride the crap out of bikes a lot worse than you would drive a car. Red line, wheelies, clutching, burnouts, all of this stuff just seems much cooler on a bike than a car I guess :?

but a bike is designed to rev that high. cars? not so much, unless its of the "for track only" variety

if the bike has been put thru hell, as long as its been maintained, it will be ok.

#6 ·
i've been thinking of a sportbike but I have had my eyes paticularly on a couple R6's and ZX6r's....

The maintenance thing seems to make since, but I've had soo many good deals fall through on me just cause of my work schedule and not being able to get to see the bike before someone else. The only ones I have had left to choose from that have been interesting and in my price range have had higher mileage. Thanks to those replied. I appreciate the input!

#7 ·
In the lower 48 states, having the equivalent of 60,000 kms on a bike is no big deal. There are so many myths around bikes it gets me down sometimes. There is a guy on gixxer.com with 230,000 kms on his 03 gixxer 1000 (courier). Runs like a top.

I draw the line at the engine smoking.

G
#10 ·
Yeah I was pretty curious about this too.. Because when I was looking at bikes the kms can completely vary considerably, if they just drive it for just a few months in the summer for pleasure or if it was their main source of transportation..

But what is the average kms that a bike usually lasts for engine wise? (If yes it was regularly maintained) Does it make a difference between Suzuki, Yahama, Kawasaki which one you have seen lasted longer?

Since most cars usually last 200-300,000 kms before they die even if they were well taken care of before rebuilding the motor, tranny etc... ( Even though I have heard of exceptions of course)..

#15 ·
The main thing is if the owner has been keeping on top of the maintenance. Higher mileage can mean wear in bearings, suspension, rotors....this stuff can add up fast--especially if it's put off and you need to pay to have it all done at once. My bike is at 165000km and runs really well. Steering head bearings and fork rebuild coming up...

#16 ·
Grip72 said:
what about an 2001 F4i with 27-29,000kms?....i want to call the guy and ask some questions about it soon
That's not a lot of mileage. I'd suggest taking it to a shop for an inspection if you're not completely comfortable with inspecting it yourself. Money well spent for peace of mind, and it might save you plenty down the road.
:thumbup

#17 ·
It's definitely all in the maintenance. A friend of mine rides a LOT, lots of long distance trips etc. He routinely rolls over 100,000 kms (last one was 170,000 I believe) before he buys another bike. Even then I don't see whyt he buys others - but I'm less picky about odd noises from my old Yamaha (a year round bike) than I am when it comes to my VTR. Yet he maintains his bikes impeccably and does most of his own work.

The kicker: he keeps buying the same model bike, usually off ebay, and he puts each 'new one' together such that nobody really notices he has a 'new' bike at all. Worthy of note: He rides year-round, in all weather, and not slowly ...he just takes care of the bikes and they live long lives.

It's definitely all about maintenance.

#18 ·
IMO most problems with bikes in this climate are not milage related; they're more age related. Get an old scoot... it'll run great ... but the shock is crap, the brake lines are stiff and cracking ...the brake pads are rock hard; it still runs but it's OLD! It's all OK for a first bike if you just ride it and enjoy it. If you want perfection don't put money into it - just buy something newer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.