F2 chain size?

Thread: F2 chain size?

Bike
    Black F2, 01 GSXR 600 - Race

F2 chain size?

OK, I'm kind of new to the whole chain thing! so teach me some stuff, would ya!

- Is there a way to tell if your chain is an O or X ring?
    - Is there a way to tell if it's a 520 or a 530 Chain?
    - most chains come in a 120 link format is that normal? Do you usually have to cut the chain down to fit?

I'm not sure on my rear sprocket size.. will this make a difference in chain length? (im betting yes..) (I'll count later)

- What is a good chain company to go with?

- How often do you have to replace the front/rear sprocket? ( I know you look for ware... but, around how many kms will a rear sprocket last on a older 600?)

Thanks for anyhelp you can give!

Damn chain bit the dust today!

Maybe i'll get a nice green one or something!
    hehe, ok, bye
    Lets Jump

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Jackie Chan's stuntdouble Array Motorcycle Man's Avatar
    Bike
    CBR600 F4
    O vs X ring: you can't tell just by looking
    520 vs 530: 520 chain has 2/8" wide rollers, 530 has 3/8" wide
    cutting chain: yes, you normally have to cut it
    sprocket size: yes, larger sprockets need longer chains
    brand: is usually not significant
    sprocket life: depends on maintenance and type, you should be able to get more than 35,000 km

doug
    your rear sprocket should be marked in some way as to size and teeth. should say something like 530-43 or 45/520.

Bike
    04 Kawi Z1000,
    Quotes from the original post are printed in green below because I own a Kawasaki and it pleases me to flaunt this fact........

- Is there a way to tell if your chain is an O or X ring?No. It doesn't matter anyway. Just buy anything with rings in it.

- Is there a way to tell if it's a 520 or a 530 Chain?
    Yes, use a ruler and measure it. The middle number refers to the number of 1/8 inches width. So a X20 is 1/4 inch, X25 is 5/16 and X30 is 3/8 wide. And if you only understand metric you're out of luck as we don't sell metric chains in Canada despite the pussy lawmakers and silly minded Euro Common Market layabouts wearing suits and drinking bleedin' Whatney's Red Barrel and singing "Tarrey Malina, Tarrey Malina" and hanging out at the hot tub in speedos......

- most chains come in a 120 link format is that normal? Do you usually have to cut the chain down to fit?
    Yes. Grind it off with a bench grinder, an angle grinder or, if you're bloody patient and have an evening to kill, a Dremel. Grind through the peened over pin and down to the link plate and then a little more and you should be able to punch it out relatively easily with a pin punch..... or if you're some shadetree mechanic that thinks baleing wire was sent down by the Gods of Mt Olympus for the edification of the common man then a nail and a hammer will do.....

-I'm not sure on my rear sprocket size.. will this make a difference in chain length?
    Not really unless you try to calculate the lengths using higher math or buy your chain off a bulk roll. The precut stuff is all long enough with 4 or 5 links left over. Just wrap the chain around the sprockets and with the adjusters set to a short lenth find where the plates meet up with the minimum slack. Then mark and grind off the pins on the outer plate of the overlapping link, add your master link and adjust the slack..... MILLER TIME! (why yessssss, thankyou i will have another....... HIC!

- What is a good chain company to go with?
    DID has sexy looking gold colored stuff... I like the way it shines in the sun........HIC!

- How often do you have to replace the front/rear sprocket? ( I know you look for ware... but, around how many kms will a rear sprocket last on a older 600?)
    That's W_E_A_R!...... but I won't tell if you don't.... HIC!
    Usually once the chain wears out the sprockets are toast as well. On a street bike it's normal to change the whole lot in one go. Even if the sprockets don't LOOK bad the wear on them will shorten the life of the new chain. If you MUST go cheap at least change out the front sprocket at the same time as a new chain as with fewer teeth it wears faster than the rear sprocket and will have more effect on the life of the new chain. But it's far better to change them both along with the chain. And how long it lasts is up to you and how well you clean and lube it. But 30,000 kms is doable with no problem. 40,000 if you're fastiduous with the cleaning and lubing. And if you build a carbon fiber shell and seals around it and run it in an oil bath 250,000 kms is not an unreasonable expectation..... or was that supposed to be expecTORation....... HIC!.....DAMN... I always get those two mixed up...
    A backyard mechanic without a service manual is just like a hooker without a lamp pole.... they are both in the dark.

Bike
    Yamahas
    Curtis. I think I have a chain for you. Used that is.
    Iron Butt Member