Noob needs a supervisor
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Noob needs a supervisor

Motorbike Noob Array JetSpeedJamez's Avatar
    Bike
    2005 GS500F

Noob needs a supervisor

ya im in the same boat as punkyboy, no money and need someone to help me learn im planning on getting a gs500f within the first week of june, i have monday, tuesday, thursday, friday after 6 off, and all sunday, so if anyone wants to impart there motorcycle knowledge to me please do, and im more for safety than speed and tricks (i can do those on my DH mountain bike)

Thanks, James

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Registered User Array
    Bike
    04 R6
    if your so short on cash then why buy a new bike? i would say buy a used gs500 for your first bike and use the money left over to buy good gear as well as take lessons at pro-ride, action, or bc safety council.
    in any sense i would stay away from buying a brand new bike to learn on... you'll just have to pay more to fix it.

Yup, bin' on a holiday... Array SkipTkt's Avatar
    Bike
    1 Honda, 1 Suzuki, 1 Yamaha.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by OvErKiLL
    if your so short on cash then why buy a new bike? i would say buy a used gs500 for your first bike and use the money left over to buy good gear as well as take lessons at pro-ride, action, or bc safety council.
    in any sense i would stay away from buying a brand new bike to learn on... you'll just have to pay more to fix it.
    I agree 100%. The difference between new and used is HUGE on so many levels.

That's a fair bit of coin you really could use elsewhere if you're serious about getting into sportbikes & street riding in general. Good gear wins-out over a new bike every time. Gear might save your life one day - just read related forums for proof. And lessons win-out over parking-lot training every time. As for new/used, dude, nothing sucks more than dropping a bike -new or used- and it happens to all of us. You have every reason to buy 'used' ...and no good reason at all to buy new.

It's impressive when a new rider shows up for a ride in gear, having taken a course, than showing up in jeans on a new bike. Fewer riders are gonna want to ride behind you or in front of you. That said, if you buy a used bike, register for a course and shop this site for starter-gear (there's lots!)... I'd be happy to ride with ya, from L to N and beyond. I suspect you'll find a lot of riders who would do the same. Sorry to be crass, but it's easy to spot a potential organ-donor VS a welcomed future fellow rider. Decide which route to take and let all of us know. You'll be surprised at the response.

Peace.
    It's not the number of breaths you take but the moments that leave you breathless.

nick900
    Quote Originally Posted by JetSpeedJamez
    ya im in the same boat as punkyboy, no money and need someone to help me learn im planning on getting a gs500f within the first week of june, i have monday, tuesday, thursday, friday after 6 off, and all sunday, so if anyone wants to impart there motorcycle knowledge to me please do, and im more for safety than speed and tricks (i can do those on my DH mountain bike)

Thanks, James
    HEY MAN I KNOW WHERE YOUR COMING FROM.MY NAME IS NICK I BOUGHT 2001 ZX9 BUT CAME UP A LITTLE SHORT FOR A TRAINING COURSE.MY BIG THING IS I WORK SO MUCH AND MY LOCATION "CHILLIWACK" I NEVER GET TO GO OUT GET SOME STREET TIME WITH ANYONE.I ALSO HAVE MY LEARNERS BUT IM READY FOR SKILLS TEST.IM TOTALLY FOR LEATHERS I ORDERED A PAIR OF JOE ROCKET 2PC LEATHERS.BETTER SAFE THAN SORRY.KEEP ME IN TOUCH ON YOUR RIDING PROCESS GOES, AND MAYBE US TWO NEWBIES WILL RIDE.

email nlaka@shaw.ca

Bike
    2005 GS500F
    parents gave me $8500 for my 20 birthday for a car, i rather get the nicer bike and relitively nice gear, and save up for the course, im gonna do it at the end of august i just want someone to help me till then.

smokie
    wow... can i have your parents?

Registered User Array
    Bike
    04 R6
    i honestly would say use the money now for the bike course... learn the basics from a bike school... trust me if you learn to ride from other people and ride the whole summer without taking school, you won't be taking bike school in august.
    take the school, they will help you build your skills, if you drop the bike then it is ok because it is their bike and everything. they will do you MST for you on site. and they will also provide you with a bike to take your road test on i believe. so after you have learned all that you will be more inclined to know what kind of bike you can handle and have more bike knowledge of what bike to get and what will suilt your riding style the best...
    ...riding is all fun but trust me it can get pretty scary on the roads. between when you get your bike til august you'll have many close calls with cagers. are you going to have the road knowledge as well as the bike control to get out of these situations safely... i am not trying to ass or anything. just make sure you think things over throughly before you jump into it....
    everyone wants a new bike. but there is nothing worse then getting a brand spanking new bike and putting road rash on it the next week...
    like others have said if you go throught the course and need people to ride with there are going to be more willing people to help you out and to ride with you...
    ... even with my best friends i was scared outta my mind to ride with them until they had taken the school...
    think it over... check out the local riding schools and what they can provide... good luck with your riding future

Yup, bin' on a holiday... Array SkipTkt's Avatar
    Bike
    1 Honda, 1 Suzuki, 1 Yamaha.

Cool

parents gave me $8500 for my 20 birthday for a car, i rather get the nicer bike and relitively nice gear, and save up for the course, im gonna do it at the end of august i just want someone to help me till then.
    PS: I hope you do see that everyone here does want to help you. Really . In case it sounds otherwise, it's just that we're starting the 'help' from 'Day 1', looking at (and offering opinions on) today & the coming weeks ...so you'll actually make it to August. Most of us have crashed; many of us have known new riders who've died or been seriously injured for life. Some of us have even been there -at a crash site- to move the body of a dead young rider. Eventually we -all- come to the realization that 'help' really does mean 'help today'. Coincidentally, you're making decisions 'today' as well.

Let the help/input continue and you'll see the offers & opinions are with your very best riding future in mind.
    It's not the number of breaths you take but the moments that leave you breathless.

builder of bikes Array cosworth's Avatar
    Bike
    bah
    Buy a used SV 650 and take a riding course. spend $500 on a helmet. $3-400 on a jacket and some boots and gloves to your liking.

Buying new is nice but save that new bike smell for your second bike. My third bike was new and it was a smart move.

Wear proper gear pls ;) Array R1 GIRL's Avatar
    Bike
    2003 BMW R1100S Boxer Cup Replica
    Quote Originally Posted by cosworth
    Buy a used SV 650 and take a riding course. spend $500 on a helmet. $3-400 on a jacket and some boots and gloves to your liking.

Buying new is nice but save that new bike smell for your second bike. My third bike was new and it was a smart move.
    Excellent advice and it falls within the budget that your parents gifted to you for your birthday.
    Jody - R1 GIRL
    R.I.P. Ethan, Bog, Dan, Cody, Ralston and my angel in the sky, Julia - my friends, all of you will be loved and remembered forever

Bike
    2005 GS500F
    heh too late, i already bought my bike and gear, im planning on doing the course end of summer and trying not to go on any roads till then, or at least not any busy ones. I guess i should have spent a little less on the bike and got the course, but too late and i promise all those people lookin out for new riders that i will take it easy till i get my course done!!

Bike
    1999 VFR 800
    Dude i paid $2200 for my vfr and i'm lovin it...save your money buy the gear and take a coarse, i had a buddy who was off work and could spend alot of time riding with me so i was lucky, but again CHEAPER BIKE AND A COARSE.

The Comedy is in the Back Array Saturnin's Avatar
    Bike
    bro, do you even ride in a straight line? #1 asshole
    u guys are haters and jelous..ahahha...the kid got soem cash..let him spend it how he likes.......fuck..i'd prolly buy a car for a 1000 bucks and the rest i'd spend on a rebuilt 600cc bike ....fuck i'd have the best of both worlds..... but hey thats just me.... i'd rather have two forms of transportation..cuz u just never know when u need to pack a car full of girls...
    Throttle Trauma 3 - Stunt riding documentary - digital download - visit Asphaltjunkiez.com
    The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.

Bike
    I'm just here for the intelligent conversation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saturnin
    u guys are haters and jelous..ahahha...the kid got soem cash..let him spend it how he likes.......fuck..i'd prolly buy a car for a 1000 bucks and the rest i'd spend on a rebuilt 600cc bike ....fuck i'd have the best of both worlds..... but hey thats just me.... i'd rather have two forms of transportation..cuz u just never know when u need to pack a car full of girls...
    Start dating asian girls. you can almost fit 4 of them on ONE bike!

Bike
    2005 GS500F
    ya i tried my bike out today and its awesome gear fits like a glove (literally) ya im still saving for the course if you read my posts at all, it will only take like a month or two to get that much so like i said i only need a supervisor for those months