Accident Witness... Opinions?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Accident Witness... Opinions?

Meet you on Sedna! Array MaverickPrince's Avatar
    Bike
    CBR

Accident Witness... Opinions?

Short story here. So I'm sitting in my cage (parked) in the rather empty part of a large parking lot at a Costco. Just then, I hear a loud BANG and see some smoke coming from a car that just backed into the concrete base of the lamp pole in the middle of the parking lot.

Single car/driver accident. No one to blame but this poor sucka who probably didn't see the pole on his blind side as he was backing up rather quickly.

Decent damage (rear quarter panel is crunched, tail lights shattered) and I sit there perplexed as I watch him get out, examine the damage then look around nervously then drive away.

So my first thought is... hmm... this guy is maybe contemplating a hit-n-run claim to save his major screw up. Or not. Who knows. But seeing as I saw the whole thing... would you:

a. report it to ICBC as some sort of good samaritan eyewitness to make sure he does the right thing (and not affect all of OUR soaring insurance rates, mind you)... yes, this reeks of "snitch" somewhat.

or

b. STFU and let the chips roll where they may.

Final point on (a). Wouldn't ICBC be better off to establish some sort of snitch system with a reward to the whistle blower to keep some of the fraud cases at bay... but food for thought I guess.

I welcome your comments, while I sit back and digest em.

3... 2... 1... Blast off, baby!

Registered User Array marksport's Avatar
    Bike
    sport bike
    Do you account the $18 million bonuses into the soaring insurance rates? I personally would STFU, karma. And ICBC can be pretty good at judging what really happened.

Bike
    2004 R1, 2005 DL1000 V-Strom
    How was the fatty you smoked while sitting in your car at the rather empty part of the Costco parking lot?

Here's a good emoticon to answer your question.
    Reformatted to fit your screen.

rd.guy
    hey costc=billion dollar company. vs. poor white trash. Kick back smoke a spliff and relax. It all comes out in the wash

No bike for now... Array Betamax's Avatar
    Bike
    Honda Civic
    he's going to claim that a pole hit him and ran? don't think so...

WMRC Past Prez three time Array NFG's Avatar
    Bike
    Yamaha RD350LC Race Bike (Sold!)/ Yamaha XS1100 /YSR 50 Street and Race / Two 50cc Pocket Bikes / Honda Z50/ Yamaha BWS 50 (Sold!) /Yamaha MX100/ Yamaha YZ250/ Husqvarna 430 / a few projects in parts....
    They will know it was a pole by the paint left on the car. They do this shit for a living. If this guy con's them they will find him out.

Now if the wanker had hit an other car and left. I say call it in. But a pole and being a dumb-ass I would let slide......
    Stefan Medlicott
    NFG Racing

"I guarantee that it will start, and I guarantee that it
    will blow up. I cannot guarantee the time between those two events."

"....those who go for broke often get there...."

"Buy in Haste, Repent at Leisure."

Bike
    CBR600F4i SOLD!
    Call me a bastard, but I say report it. Could have easily been a bike or a car. You screw up and you accept whats coming to you. It won't be the end of the world for the guy.

How'd we all feel if this is the same guy who's not paying attention and turns left in front of you.

EDIT:
    Hey, I just re-read your post and realized he didn't appear to wreck anything other than his car. For some reason I had an image of a messed up light standard or something and other damage to the property. In this case, I'd leave him to his own as ICBC will figure it out if he tries to BS them.
    Last edited by Madman; 05-27-2005 at 10:04 AM.
    My Photo Gallery!

R.I.P. Danimal

builder of bikes Array cosworth's Avatar
    Bike
    bah
    jesus this province is sure communist.

Mind your own beezwax.

Registered User Array scubaphil's Avatar
    Bike
    99 R6
    ICBC is smarter than u thnik.
    somehow my brohter hit something and tried to claim on icbc
    next thing u know ICBC calls bullshit and says that the car was in motion when the car hit the 'object"

nowmy brother is being quoted $ 10000 a ywear in insurance
    (due to few other previous accidents)
    If jack helped you off a horse would you help jack off a horse??

You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

doug
    Quote Originally Posted by MaverickPrince
    Short story here. So I'm sitting in my cage (parked) in the rather empty part of a large parking lot at a Costco. Just then, I hear a loud BANG and see some smoke coming from a car that just backed into the concrete base of the lamp pole in the middle of the parking lot.
    operative word is hear. if you heard the bang and then looked up, you didn't see the whole thing.

and you would be asked that in court.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Betamax
    he's going to claim that a pole hit him and ran? don't think so...
    I know that pole, it keeps moving around,
    it hit me at future shop last year

Meet you on Sedna! Array MaverickPrince's Avatar
    Bike
    CBR
    Actually Doug I did "see" it too... as in car + pole, connnected as one. But sure, whatever...
    3... 2... 1... Blast off, baby!

Architeuthis
    I don't like the idea of using Cosco's property to trash a car unless it really did no damage (very possible if concrete is large and hard enough) but I wouldn't say anything.

I've had police take a lot of interest in some of my cars which I would trash for fun, jumps, rollovers, driving on two wheels, endless burnouts and donuts. As long as the car is still legal (lights, brakes, ect ect) there isn't any problem.

I'd say it would be a waste of everybodies time to report it.

Now I've got to go fix my own car that was damaged by some druggie and not covered by the 'system'.

Bike
    2002 vfr800a 2003 duc ss1000ds
    Quote Originally Posted by scubaphil
    ICBC is smarter than u thnik.
    somehow my brohter hit something and tried to claim on icbc
    next thing u know ICBC calls bullshit and says that the car was in motion when the car hit the 'object"

nowmy brother is being quoted $ 10000 a ywear in insurance
    (due to few other previous accidents)

this is calle fear tactics. they will make a statement saying without a doubt you are lying. if they do not have irrefutable proof and you call the bluff, they will back down. yes it has happend to me.

although i guess it depends on the severity of the accident. was it a pretty big collision? my rear bumper corner was taken off in a parking lot and they tried to claim i backed into something, but the damage to the brackets and surounding metal clearly indicated that the bumper came off the other way, as in ripped off toward the rear.
    Last edited by avocet; 05-27-2005 at 12:11 PM.

Bike
    None right now...
    Quote Originally Posted by doug
    operative word is hear. if you heard the bang and then looked up, you didn't see the whole thing. and you would be asked that in court.
    True, but the probability of ICBC asking you to appear in court is about nil. ICBC would just take the info as given, that you hear a bang, looked up, and saw the car rolling away from the light standard.

It's probably all they need to get the guy to confess if he tries to claim a hit and run.
    ---
    My Picasa Album