BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Front End "Shudders"

1K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  janesee 
G
#1 ·
Hi guys,

So i went for my morning ride, 6 am is a good time for me to build up some skills without worrying about too many others on the road.

As i was heading home i took both hands off the bars, in less than 1 second the handelbars started to "shudder", i quickly regained control and continued on.

My questions:
Is the "shudder" a normal occurance ?
If it isnt what should i be directing the mechanic to look at ?

The bike is going into the shop tomorow for a complete service, inculding valve adjustment and carb tuneup.

#5 ·
Tire balance can be off drastically. There is a reason the weights on my wheels are on the centerline. Either way, take it to a competent mechanic. This is something that could be a repeat visit at $$$$ for them to find.

Next step, don't take your hands off the bars.

G
#7 ·
Thanks guys, as i stated its going into the shop tomorrow.
At least now i have some directions to point them in.

My hands are on the handle bars 95% of the time, the other 5% are for streching itching and signals.

G
#9 ·
You definately don't want to experience that in full shake... It could hurt you and your bike.. My old 87 gsxr 1100 got it bad after a shop resprung my forks/ It scared me 3 times then i tore it apart and sold it in pieces before it killed me.

#10 ·
Sometimes it's also bad tires as well. Depends on the bike but it is definetly worth having it checked out by a reputable mechanic.

PS: if the bike belonged to someone that tried to lighten the handling by raising the rear or lowering the front then they may have gone too far and made it unstable.

All of which goes to show that it could be due to any number of possible causes or a few of them together.

#12 ·
Q. Do you have weights in your handle bar ends? did you remove them? if they were suppose to be there and they aint put them back....other wise your fork springs are starting to sag thus changing your fork ride height....bike probably feels like it flops in the corners too when your not on the gas....if you have preload adjustment wind it in two lines if not try 3-4 clicks of compression...lastly slide the forks down into the tripple clamps 1/8 of an inch..this is all assuming the bearings are propperly adjusted.
if you don't know what i am telling you get a friend or take it to a shop with a mechanic who races and knows how to set up suspension...Troy at carter should know....Jeff at Pacific...

G
#14 ·
Seems like I just wrote this one up for someone......

Start with the really simple shit, ie check your tires. Don't get fixated on the front tire. Some of the worst front end shudders can come from rear tires that are past their best before date. Avoid any bolt on fixes at first unless they consist of new tires or new balance weights (if yours have flung off somewhere along the way). Good luck...you shold be able to take your hands off without it going nuts. Unless its an older K100 BMW, then you are out of luck :D :D :D

#15 ·
one of my instructors told me that if you're coasting hands-free and in too low of a gear, your front end can also shudder as a result of you being in too low a gear, and the inertia/momentum of the bike isn't being carried on. if you're in a higher gear or neutral when you cruise with no hands, this shouldn't happen, becuase there's nothing trying to slow down the bike without you balancing it. i've tested it and its true, but then again, i'm a girl... what do i know ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.