Serious Question/Looking For Serious Answer On Helmets!!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Serious Question/Looking For Serious Answer On Helmets!!!

1st name basis with Death Array Ghost's Avatar
    I'm the one in front of you.... ZIPPERLIPS!!!
    Bike
    2014 BMW S1000RR in MF'n BLACK!!!

Serious Question/Looking For Serious Answer On Helmets!!!

I'm in the market for a new lid!!! I currently own a 2000 Arai RR4-Edwards and have been fairly happy with it!!!

I have my choice narrowed down to 4 manufacturers;
    1) Arai-RX7, Edwards (2005)
    2) Shoei X-11, Bostrom
    3) Agv Ti-Tech, Rossi
    4) Suomy Extreme, can't remember the rest of it!!!

My biggest complaint I have with my Arai are the sideplates!!! I understand they've made them even better now, but I dunno!!!

I'm really liking the AGV helmet, but I'm concerned about the vents on the jaw... are they always open???

If anyone here has some advice, or owns any of the current models, I'd really appreciate the feedback!!!
    i'M a BcSb PaGe 11 RoCkStAr...
    '08 1098S in NERO, of CORSE!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Registered User Array Commuter Boy's Avatar
    Bike
    Suzuki Bandit
    Buy one that fits, is light, and quiet.

Arai has different sized cheekpads you can get, if that's what you mean by sideplates.

Bike
    2002 SV650S Ghost
    I've had the side plate on my Arai pop off. They just pop right back on. I like it. Never tried any of the ther helmets on the list. I doubt they suck, but I'm an Arai fan. Good luck in your search.

Bike
    The Mighty One
    I've tried on all of those and the Arai and Shoei had the best feel out of them. Go for the best fitting helmet and find the color scheme you want.

BBQ Squadron Member Array Dark()Knight's Avatar
    Bike
    Batcycle
    Have you tried the Shark RSV line ??? They fit just as well as my Arai's.
    I find them lighter and the shield system even easier to change. You should check
    out the thickness of the shields. Almost twice as thick as Arai's.
    D():
    PS... I'd go with the Arai if those were your choices.
    Be Happy for this moment.... This moment is your life.

It is not about Anger,
    It's about Peace.
    It is not about Power,
    It's about Grace.
    It is not about knowing your enemy,
    It's about knowing yourself.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    We got both the arai and shoei in stock and on sale pm me if you like

Crabalocker
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost
    I'm in the market for a new lid!!! I currently own a 2000 Arai RR4-Edwards and have been fairly happy with it!!!

I have my choice narrowed down to 4 manufacturers;
    1) Arai-RX7, Edwards (2005)
    2) Shoei X-11, Bostrom
    3) Agv Ti-Tech, Rossi
    4) Suomy Extreme, can't remember the rest of it!!!

My biggest complaint I have with my Arai are the sideplates!!! I understand they've made them even better now, but I dunno!!!

I'm really liking the AGV helmet, but I'm concerned about the vents on the jaw... are they always open???

If anyone here has some advice, or owns any of the current models, I'd really appreciate the feedback!!!
    Have you tried all of them on already?

Bike
    Big and slow
    Again fit is totally dependent upon the head that goes in it. Don't get hung up on the name but focus on the fit. I have an X11 but over time the fit has loosened enough that it bothers me so I picked up an Aria Quantum2 today which fits nice and tight. Head shape should be the deciding factor.
    Flowbie- Mellowing with age...

Stolen from Atom:
    Being a road crayon sucks....put your gear between you and the pavement.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by flowrider
    Again fit is totally dependent upon the head that goes in it. Don't get hung up on the name but focus on the fit. I have an X11 but over time the fit has loosened enough that it bothers me so I picked up an Aria Quantum2 today which fits nice and tight. Head shape should be the deciding factor.

I have a shoei rf-1000 and after 3 months, it loosened enough that
    it bothers me too. But changing the shield is really easy.

On my next new helmet, here are some of the things i'll be looking for:

1. fit
    2. shield (easy/hard to change)
    3. removable cheek pads (do they come in different sizes)
    4. cleaning (machine washable removable liner)

You're welcome to add more to my list.
    Last edited by 888; 06-11-2005 at 08:05 PM.

Bike
    Thank's for the responses guys!!! I really liked the fit of my Arai over the last 4 seasons, but I just didn't care much for the sheild release!!! I just felt that a helmet worth that amount, shouldn't have such a cheesy release mechanisim!!!

I would buy another Arai for just the way they fit, but I'd really like a closer look at some of the other top brands before I do!!!

If anyone has any good info on that AGV TI-Tech, I'd love to hear it!!! I'm kinda leaning toward that one right now!!!

Bike
    1972 CL350 Scrambler
    The Rossi lid is very hi-vis ... which is very good for being seen by cagers. I have heard it's a good helmet too.

I went with a Arai Corsair RX-77 Hayden 2004... picked it up brand-new on Ebay for $455 CDN...all taxes, duty and shipping in. I love it

Bike
    ZX10r
    I tried on all 4 of the lids you speak of, but didn't ride with them. The Rossi helmet didn't fit my head well, it was too tight at the very top, kind of pinched the crown while being loose on the face. The Shoei X-11 and Arai RX-7 were both winners, I think the Arai fit me a bit better, but like you I don't like the arai shield system as much as the Shoei. Suomy was a very narrow fitting helmet, was not comfy. Best thing is to try them all on to see how they will fit your skull.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Holyrain
    I tried on all 4 of the lids you speak of, but didn't ride with them. The Rossi helmet didn't fit my head well, it was too tight at the very top, kind of pinched the crown while being loose on the face. The Shoei X-11 and Arai RX-7 were both winners, I think the Arai fit me a bit better, but like you I don't like the arai shield system as much as the Shoei. Suomy was a very narrow fitting helmet, was not comfy. Best thing is to try them all on to see how they will fit your skull.
    Thank you very much, Holyrain!!!

Bike
    600RR Yeeeellllooow
    Quote Originally Posted by Holyrain

Ditto... I had the same with the AGV (Rossi fan here) ... couldn't get a good fit... the top pinched... and as Darknight said... have you considered the Shark?? I found them extremely comfortable... I'm a super Arai fan and after Arai, I think the other best fitting helmet is the Shark for me... like most of the other replies... go for fit/comfort... it's better to feel cool after having a helmet on for 2 hours than look cool and have a headache afterwards~ Also... safety concerns regarded as well~~

IMHO - out of those 4, I'd choose the Arai as well~~ kekeke
    We rode our bikes together, we laughed together, we cryed together, we even lived together. All our friends said we were a the perfect match. I can tell the world that I know I'm the luckiest person alive because I got to live my dream for 3 years 7 months and 11 days.

Bike
    K5 GSX-R600
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark()Knight
    Have you tried the Shark RSV line ??? They fit just as well as my Arai's.
    I find them lighter and the shield system even easier to change. You should check
    out the thickness of the shields. Almost twice as thick as Arai's.
    D():
    PS... I'd go with the Arai if those were your choices.

I love my Shark - very comfortable, good shield size and nice ventilation. Not to mention that it rarely seems to fog up. Definitely worth a try.