carb disection

Thread: carb disection

modern day cafe racer Array neo's Avatar
    Bike
    mc28 sp

carb disection

was wondering if someone could take the time to point out each part below. Hopefully it can help me newbs like me.

on another note, would someone know why brake pads would end up in this condition:

these parts are:
    dennislo.com | PHOTOGRAPHY

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

ssblade
    if you're takin pictures instead of cleanin them then maybe take them to a shop

Bike
    I can answer the brake question.
    It is call normal wear & tear, also it gets very hot that's why it's
    peeling off on the back side.

Bike
    mc28 sp
    Quote Originally Posted by ssblade
    if you're takin pictures instead of cleanin them then maybe take them to a shop
    oh really? i thought taking pictures would automatically clean them

Bike
    mc28 sp
    Quote Originally Posted by 888
    I can answer the brake question.
    It is call normal wear & tear, also it gets very hot that's why it's
    peeling off on the back side.
    i doubt it. I've gone through a dozen packs of brake pads and have never seen this. You'll notice the pads on the right are from the front brake, which dont have a pealing backing, where as the pads on the left are the rears, and are all pealing.

Tabb
    Pis #2 is of the carb float with it's needle and seat and the main jets.

#3 top looks liek a fuel filter and the bottom looks like a either a cam or crank sensor. probably the latter.

888's right. Normal wear'n tear and heat from braking will make pads look like that.

this is my...boomstick! Array CrotchetyRocket's Avatar
    Bike
    click, click
    The peeling is partly corrosion, exacerbated by the brake glue used by the PO to hold the pads in place.

Picture one shows slides, idle and main air jets

2 shows main jet, pilot jet, the float and the bottom of the emulsion tube.

CR

doug
    the pics of the brake pads shows you use a lot of back brake.

Bike
    N/A
    The bottom pic is a fuel pump and and that small cylindrical part w/ the wire is an oil level sender from a Yamaha is this bike an fz 400 or fj 600? and yes I said oil level sensor stupid Yamaha put those on the fz, fzr,virago,fj,and pretty much most bikes from the early to late 80's I would have rather had an oil pressure light.

Bike
    04 Kawi Z1000,
    In the first pic the tops of the carbs are covering the slide diaphragms. Under those flat tops is a soft and very fragile rubber diaphragm. Be careful you don't rip them. Looking into the carb throats you can see the black plastic slides. In the open gap you can see the slide needles that will come out when you lift out the slides. The brass bits are the needle seats. These are where the main gas supply comes up and into the throats to mix with the air.

In pic two the others ID'd the floats on either side. The three bits in the middle are.... the big one is the main jet. The littler one to the left is the low speed jet and the other to the right is .... er.... something to do with mixing gas... That one could be a few things depending on where it feeds to. Most likely something to do with the starting enrichener circuit (bikes seldom have real chokes these days).

Those carbs are grungy as hell. You've got a big cleanup ahead of you.
    A backyard mechanic without a service manual is just like a hooker without a lamp pole.... they are both in the dark.

Bike
    crf250r
    the pads on the left may have a bit of brake fluid on them at one point,check the seals make sure there ok.have fun dont break nuttin.check the diaprhams to.