geeks out there

Thread: geeks out there

Je ne suis pas Francais Array nutcracker's Avatar
    Bike
    none at the moment

geeks out there

I just reinstalled XP on my laptop (Dell latitude d600) and I can't seem to connect to the internet. All my connection seems fine , no yellow marks on the device manager ,even my wireless gives me a good connection (my other connection being Shaw) but when I click on Internet Explorer it just doesn't want to open the page , it gives me the "page cannot be displayed" message for some reason. I'm going on vacation so I may not look back at this message for a while so thanx for your input.

Thanx geeks
    2010 can't affort a bike anymore
    2006 Husqvarna 610SM
    2004 VFR
    2003 R1
    2002 KTM LC4
    1998 ZX6-R
    I'd rather be scared to death than bored to death.

Bike
    vtwins
    i heard with shaw, that sometimes you have to phone them and they can re-assign you an ip or something. sorry i cant really help you max

where is inferno when you need him?
    10 KTM rc8 r
    03 Yamaha R6 (track)
    97 HD Sporty 883

martian
    [QUOTE=R6 Jono]i heard with shaw, that sometimes you have to phone them and they can re-assign you an ip or something. QUOTE]

you don't need to call shaw to get a new ip. just cycle power on the modem...hitting the reset button doesn't do it, you have to unplug/replug it.

Bike
    sold
    was there any disk (s) you need to install to get your wireless network card to find your router?

Bike
    Canon 1ds3 1d4
    have you setup your wireless network on your new windows install? iguess this step doesnt mater if you left your router settings factory set.

have you tried any other program outside of IE ?
    no

Posing with conviction Array heisenberg9's Avatar
    Bike
    anyone I can lean against
    Quote Originally Posted by nutcracker
    I just reinstalled XP on my laptop (Dell latitude d600) and I can't seem to connect to the internet. All my connection seems fine , no yellow marks on the device manager ,even my wireless gives me a good connection (my other connection being Shaw) but when I click on Internet Explorer it just doesn't want to open the page , it gives me the "page cannot be displayed" message for some reason. I'm going on vacation so I may not look back at this message for a while so thanx for your input.

Thanx geeks
    Just a hunch. Could be a lot of things. Try this...

Launch "Command Prompt" app and type in

ipconfig /all

With this you should see all the different network connection types and addresses. Look at the IP addresses that have been assigned. Sometimes WinXP won't pick up the DHCP address doled out by the router.

Your IP address should start with either a 192. 168.xxx.xx or 10.0.xx.xx
    address range. If it doesn't then your machine hasn't properly picked up the DHCP address from your home router.

If this is the case. Shut down your machine. Unplug your home router and unplug your cable modem. If you have other machines on shut them all down. Even unplug them as some ethernet cards have "Wake on LAN" settings that keep them alive even after the machine is off. Leave everything off for about 30 seconds. Then plug in your router. Give it a good minute to cycle and grab an IP from the Shaw network [you probably know this]. Then plug in your router and wait until it cycles, usually about 30 seconds. Then startup your laptop and let it boot up. Do not turn on any other computers. Hopefully this will fix your problem.

If it doesn't I would suggest phoning Shaw as they can and often will help you diagnose networking problems. The night staff is often good as they have ubergeeks on shift from their head office in Calgary that can diagnose and "see" if your network cards are on the net or not.

Good luck.

Je ne suis pas Francais Array nutcracker's Avatar
    Bike
    none at the moment
    I did what you said and it seemed to have fixed the problem for now. I think I screwed up the settings when I tried to plug the desktop to the laptop so I can upload files to the laptop.
    Last edited by nutcracker; 06-19-2005 at 01:38 PM.
    2010 can't affort a bike anymore
    2006 Husqvarna 610SM
    2004 VFR
    2003 R1
    2002 KTM LC4
    1998 ZX6-R
    I'd rather be scared to death than bored to death.

Posing with conviction Array heisenberg9's Avatar
    Bike
    anyone I can lean against
    Quote Originally Posted by nutcracker
    I did what you said and it seemed to have fixed the problem for now. I think I screwed up the settings when I tried to plug the desktop to the laptop so I can upload files to the laptop.
    I am confident that your assessment is right. Your TCP stack in Windows probably stubbornly hung onto the IP that it got when you hooked up your laptop and desktop machine together.

Another trick you can do with "ipconfig" in the command prompt in the machine that is giving you jazz is to get it to release the IP, router and DNS that it is associated with and then get it to grab the info anew. Here is how you do it.

Fire up the Command Prompt app. then type, like before:

ipconfig /all

this will show you the info you got -- not necessary but you might as well do it to be informed then type this:

ipconfig /release

this will ditch all the network associations to your router and Shaw's network.

then type:

ipconfig /renew

All should be fine after this unless something else is amiss. In doing this you won't have to reboot your machine or recylce your router or cable modem. However, the first method I mentioned about shutting everything down and then bringing everything systematically back online is the safest and often least problematic way of dealing with home network problems.

Bike
    Looking for a 600
    make sure that your Internet explorer isn't set to work offline... under the file menu in the explorer window

if not that, try all the other stuff :P
    I <3 Photography