bcsb newbie question

Thread: bcsb newbie question

Bike
    i think so...

Question bcsb newbie question

ok, not so new to bcsb since i've been lurking for a while. been riding since march (what a rush!!!) and i thought i'd post up now.

i have a lowered gs500 and i want to get it up on the center stand so i can try cleaning/lubing the chain myself. i hear it's a weight transfer thing...what does that mean?!!??! any suggestions/instructions on how to do this safely without hurting me or the bike? or am i SOL b/c i'm short and weak?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Cooolio
    Put your right foot on the stand and make sure that both sides touches the ground,
    Grab the bike with your right hand close to your body.
    Put all your weight on your right foot while lifting
    the bike with your right arm.
    Lift your bike with your arm instead of pulling back.
    Your energy will be spent more efficient and it will be a piece of cake.
    I weigh 125 Lbs and I don't have a problem.

Bike
    i think so...
    thanks!
    i'll have to try it when i can rope some unsuspecting passerby into standing on the other side of my bike.

uhm...one more thing...once the bike is up (assuming i'll be successful), how do i get it down?!?

Registered User Array Jester666's Avatar
    Bike
    1966 Honda Dream305 1976 Honda CB550
    the easiest way to get it back down would be to sit on it and push forward.

Else you just push it by the handlebars, just make sure they're turned just a hair AWAY from you-i.e. if you're on the left side of the bike, turn your handlebars a bit to the right, that way the bike will lean TOWARDS rather than away from you when you push it off the center stand.

Bike
    i think so...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester666
    the easiest way to get it back down would be to sit on it and push forward.
    can i do this if my feet don't touch the ground? i'm on my tippy toes already when the bike isn't even up on the stand.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester666
    Else you just push it by the handlebars, just make sure they're turned just a hair AWAY from you-i.e. if you're on the left side of the bike, turn your handlebars a bit to the right, that way the bike will lean TOWARDS rather than away from you when you push it off the center stand.
    ...and i'm not going to get squished doing this, right? hmm...then again, maybe the fire dept would have to come...firemen...ooooh!

seriously though, thanks for the advice. i'll have to give it a try. worst that'll happen is some scrapes, dings and a bruised ego.

Bike
    '92 ZX6-d
    Quote Originally Posted by jinxed
    ok, not so new to bcsb since i've been lurking for a while. been riding since march (what a rush!!!) and i thought i'd post up now.

i have a lowered gs500 and i want to get it up on the center stand so i can try cleaning/lubing the chain myself. i hear it's a weight transfer thing...what does that mean?!!??! any suggestions/instructions on how to do this safely without hurting me or the bike? or am i SOL b/c i'm short and weak?
    Took me a few tries to figure it out -- and people still laugh at me because I have to put my whole weight on the centre stand -- but yeah, basically what other people have said. Once you get the hang of it, it's easy as pie. Push down with your feet, pull up with your hands, it'll go.

I always have the side stand down when I do this, just in case something goes terribly, terribly wrong. (In fact, if I'm not sitting on it, I have the side stand down anyway. Dropped it once many years ago when it would have been saved if the side stand was up, learned my lesson.)

Getting down: I sit on the bike, can reach the ground with my toes, and have to sort of rock it back and forth a little until it just rolls right off, and off we go!

Bike
    DRZ-SM
    Make sure the bike is in neutral as well. The rear wheel will roll back a tiny bit and if it's in gear and there's already pressure on the gears, the back wheel won't roll.

;D