Shop Mark-up

Thread: Shop Mark-up

3rd matt

Shop Mark-up

Hey all, does anyone have an idea what a typical shops Mark-up for OEM parts are. My guess is 40%.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    HAMMER OF THE GODS
    30-40% is about there...

Bike
    2010 BMW F800 GS, 2008 Yamaha R1, 2006 Harley Sportster Custom
    500% and thats a good deal... :P

Registered User Array
    Bike
    saving for a Bimota
    100% on retail stuff

Bike
    S
    I think the shops are gonna hate me for telling you this. If I buy mark up stuff, I buy brand name products not generic brands. Generic brands mock brand name products and most of the the generic brands are cheaper which inclines people to opt for it andthey make a lot more off you than buying a brand name product. Plus the quality you get from a brand name product is tottaly seen after years of using it.

Liquid72
    I used to work for a pressure washer manufacturer ..used Honda commercial engines..we got 50% off Hondas list price for parts...Im sure its around the same maybe even more if its a busy dealer.......

Bike
    2005 FZ6
    I think it really depends on the part, and that the market is much more competitive these days than it has been in the past.

In the "old" days you could get away with 50-100% markup but with all the competition from various dealers, most of them will discount the part for "regular" or "good" customers so the actuall markup is quite a bit less.

I know for fact that with BMW the difference between dealer cost and retail on the majority of the products is 15%-25% that is why they don't discount a lot. Clothing used to be marked up big time but now a days it is around 30%-50%, and most shops/dealer will offer 10%-20% discounts so the actual markup is really only 10%-30%.

Due to buyers being much better educated, and the internet, you will find margins getting smaller and smaller. The one thing that I have noticed is that lower priced items have a larger margin than higher priced items.

For further market study look at the car industry. A fully loaded Mazda 3 goes for approx $24000, dealer invoice is $22200, so you have an $1800 margin on a $24K car, which is less than a 10% margin before you start to negotiate...
    WMRC #749

THE WORLD IS GOING CRAZY
    "You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the US of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the 3 most powerful men in America are named 'Bush', 'Dick', and 'Colon'"

-Chris Rock

doug
    Quote Originally Posted by coolio
    I think the shops are gonna hate me for telling you this. If I buy mark up stuff, I buy brand name products not generic brands. Generic brands mock brand name products and most of the the generic brands are cheaper which inclines people to opt for it andthey make a lot more off you than buying a brand name product. Plus the quality you get from a brand name product is tottaly seen after years of using it.
    thanks for stating the obvious.

Bike
    2004 R1, 2005 DL1000 V-Strom
    40% is fairly standard. It's what the manufacturer suggests, but final pricing is up to the shop. That's how they pay their hydro, leases, employees etc.
    Reformatted to fit your screen.

Fuelled by rice Array racerboy88's Avatar
    Bike
    Derbi
    my buddy needed a battery for his bike, rms quoted $150, pacific yamaha $160. A wholesaler on boundary battery world quoted $80 and 5th gear was the closest with $88. sale went to 5th gear
    02 R1- stolen Nov 24/02

Hang Thieves

Bike
    2005 GSX-R600 - Orca Bay Suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by doug
    thanks for stating the obvious.
    No shit

Bike
    2005 CBR 600RR
    Most aftermarket parts around 30% . OEM varies between shops. Alot of the big shops put on an extra 20 to 15 % on top of suggested retail and then give you a discount.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    ??
    Quote Originally Posted by coolio
    Not as obvious as you think. A lot of grocery store generic products are actually made by brand name comapanies. For example: Superstore Ketchup is actually bought from Hienz; Western Family Coca Cola is bought from Coke. Why do they do this? Grocery stores buy the products in huge volume and then re-package them with their name on it. This gurantees sales for the brand name product. Advantage for the brand name company: Higher sales volume and revenue to start off with. Some brand name companies tell the retailer to set the price of the brand name at a certain dollar amount, usually fairly close to the generic price. I have noticed once in a while the generic brand is more expensive than the brand name procuct. Generic is not always inferior.

Bike
    1999 VFR 800
    15-30% jobber (shop to shop) retail 50-80% thats for truck shit..