I haven't seen this on here so I thought I should let folks know in case anyone wants to get involved. (Searching causes a fatal error meltdown.)
Anyhow, according to this organization, Wednesday July 20, 2005 is Ride To Work Day.
Anybody planning to promote/participate in this? Here's an excerpt from their website www.ridetowork.org :
Press Release: For Immediate Release
Subject: Ride To Work Day 2005
Motorcycle and Scooter Ride to Work Day is Wednesday, July 20, 2005
This year’s fourteenth annual motorcycle and scooter commuting demonstration will increase the number of riders on the road, according to Ride to Work, a non-profit advocacy organization. “Riding to work on this day shows the positive value of motorcycles and scooters for transportation. For many people, riding is an economical, efficient and socially responsible form of mobility that saves energy, helps the environment and provides a broad range of other public benefits,” states Andy Goldfine, the event organizer. Motorcycle and scooter enthusiasts and rider organizations worldwide encourage their members to ride to work on this day.
According to the United States Census Bureau and the Department of Transportation, over eighty million cars and light trucks are used for daily commuting on American roads, and about 200,000 motorcycles and scooters are a regular part of this mix. On Ride to Work Day the practical side of riding becomes more visible as a larger number of America’s 8,000,000 cycles are ridden to work.
Ride to Work Day helps demonstrate how these vehicles make parking easier and help traffic flow better. Studies have shown that across equal distances commuting motorcyclists reach their destinations in less time than those using automobiles, that motorcycles and scooters consume less resources per mile than automobiles, and that they take up less space on roads. Motorcycle and scooter riders seek improved employer recognition and support for this form of transportation, and more public and government awareness of the positive value of riding.
- Ride to Work Day can be reached at: POB 1072, Proctor, Minnesota, 55810 USA, or
<http://www.ridetowork.org> or 218 722 9806
- Ride to Work Day Mission Statement: To advocate and support the use of motorcycles for transportation, and to
provide information about transportation riding to the public.
- Participating Ride to Work Day Countries: Germany, Philippines, England, Germany, Israel, Turkey, Ecuador,
United States, and many others.
- Sample issues of ‘The Daily Rider’ newsletter are available at
- A brief history of Ride to Work Day is available at <http://www.ridetowork.org/docs/2004history.html>
- A transportation motorcycling and scootering fact sheet is available at
- Motorcycle and scooter commuting photos, illustrations and RTW Day artwork is available at