BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Kill switch versus ignition key

2K views 28 replies 21 participants last post by  treefinder 
#1 ·
Several of us had a discussion today regarding how we turned our bikes off. The motorcycle schools all seem to recommend using the kill switch; some owner's manuals seem to recommend using the key.

Can this be a poll? How do you guys turn off?

#13 ·
Kill switch, then key... cuz I usually take one last glance at the instrument cluster (while the power is stil ON) for any unusual readings before I put down the stand (ie: do I need gas, is the bike too hot, etc).

G
#16 ·
I was taught that you only use the kill switch in an emergency.

It is like an emergency stop button on a big industrial machine. The reason why the instructor said is that a switch only has a limited life. If you flick it on and off all the time to stop your bike... the ONE time when you really need it ...in an emergency...it may fail.

So therefore, only use it for emergencies.

Just what I was taught.

#17 ·
I thought the kill switch was for making me look foolish on a group ride when I can't start my bike.

96ZX7R said:
Just curious, why would you use the kill switch unless you're gonna bail? Did the school give a reason?
Is anybody gonna answer this? I assume it's to get familiar with the switch so you'll be ready when the time comes. Any other reason?

#20 ·
The instructors at the schools give us this logic for using the kill switch to shut off our bikes. "If you never use the kill switch, and you all of a sudden need to use it, it is not an instantaneous reaction (or something); therefore if you use it all the time to turn off the bike, you are used to using it, and in the event of an emergency, you are faster to react"

#21 ·
REVELATIONS said:
I hit other ppl's kill switches....sometimes they are moving.... :p (I'm sure I'm not the only one)
Nope your not the only one who does it, my buddy smacked mine when I was doing like 70.......bastard.

I rewired my kill switch to my new ejection seat, so I don't use it.

I throw my bike over on its side and the engine usually stops right away, then I pick it up and park it.....its good practice for when I start racing, cuz ima have to do it alot probably :thumbup

#22 ·
gti303 said:
The instructors at the schools give us this logic for using the kill switch to shut off our bikes. "If you never use the kill switch, and you all of a sudden need to use it, it is not an instantaneous reaction (or something); therefore if you use it all the time to turn off the bike, you are used to using it, and in the event of an emergency, you are faster to react"
All true, but the kill switch is not really necessary any more. In the old days (1970's and previous), throttles would sometimes stick wide open and you needed a kill switch to quickly shut down the engine...but that never happens any more.

Like R6-gun says above, the kill switch is not designed to be used everyday, it is not a robust piece of equipment, and the contact points will get worn down and one day will no longer make contact. And when that happens, the engine will *not* run, stranding you wherever you happen to be at the time.

I know people who got stranded, and some who couldn't get the bike started in their own driveway and only thought of a faulty kill switch after spending two days checking everything else in the electrical system.

Use the key, that's what it's for.

#25 ·
96ZX7R said:
Just curious, why would you use the kill switch unless you're gonna bail? Did the school give a reason? I've only ever used the key.
Exactly... I can't think of many situations that you would use a kill switch while riding. Sure if your motor starts gurgling and howling and complete mechanical failure seems imminent but what, gramma decides to pull left in front of you and you think "Hell, I'll just kill the motor and then I'll be okay"

What are these emergencies schools are telling people to be ready to hit that kill switch??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.