How to Clutch-Wheelie a 600cc?

Thread: How to Clutch-Wheelie a 600cc?

Yamaha FZ1 '10

Question How to Clutch-Wheelie a 600cc?

I have a question about "clutch wheelie" on my FZ6. As you guys may offer comments, please bare in mind that my bike has less torque than full supersport 600's. This bike is 600cc with 90 Hp and 43 ft-lb torque; I weigh 180 lbs.

I have previously done "power wheelies" with general easy on the FZ6. Now, its time for clutched wheelies.

I have read a good write up on clutch wheelies at:

What I have done is:

Method A
    - Cover rear brake, in case needed.
    - Sit upright with arms near straight (dont jerk bars).
    - Roll along in 1st gear at 25 kph, at low rpms.
    - Pull in (disengage) clutch, and rev engine up to 10,0000 rpm.
    - Then, dump clutch (abruptly let go of lever), and add a bit more throttle.
    - Suddenly, bike rises but only 6 inches - poor.

Method B
    - Sames as Method A but ...
    - Pull in (disengage) clutch, and rev engine up to 9,0000 rpm.
    - Twitch the front brake to get the suspension to bounce.
    - Simulaneously, as the front is bouncing up,
    dump the clutch (abruptly let go of lever), and add a bit more throttle.
    - Suddenly, bike rises up 2 feet - good.

My questions:
    1) My implementation of Method A seems to earn feable results (6 inches). I suspect that I can get higher results if I rev'd it higher before dumping the clutch - but I don't for fear of looping it. Is more rev's what is needed?

2) My implementation of Method B is better results however it is far less consistent. The effectiveness depends on perfectly synchronizing the up bounce with the clutch dump. Is my method correct?

3) Is the FZ6 engine (stock sprockets) adequate to use Method A, or is Method B really needed?

4) For my clarification, is "dumping" the "sudden and abrupt release (let go) of the clutch lever"? This seems to be a very "uncontrolled" maneuver.

5) I don't know if it is possible with the FZ6, but I would prefer to have more control on the clutch lever: such as rapid but controlled release of clutch lever, where my two fingers stay wrapped around the lever even when releasing. Can this be done?
    Last edited by Skeleton; 07-10-2005 at 06:12 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements

RC-51, KX250
    grow some balls an giver shit

the fzr6 is a wheelie machine just crank the throttle today in deep cove i just throttled my cbr900 and up up up and away it goes... Non stop.. Just learn the balance point its an expensive learn when you pitch a bike!

Registered User Array
    1999 CBR F4
    Its not so much dumping the clutch, as briefly slipping it while applying power. Once you get the hang of it, it will be one smooth motion of accelerating from a stop, and once you reach a speed you are comfortable popping the wheel up - slip the clutch JUST past the friction zone, and gas it, then right away release the clutch. It should be one smooth, quick motion.

It sounds to me like your puling the clutch all the way in, then revving your engine, and dumping the clutch - this is why it feels to jerky and uncontrolled.

I used to wheelie a Ninja 250 by popping it up with the engine @ 10,000 rpm going maybe 15kph (with no bouncing), and my current '88 Hurricane will come up at considerably less RPM (also with no bounce). So you should easily be able to pop yours up at that RPM.

Keep in mind that the slower you are going, the less RPM needed to come up. I started learning clutch wheelies from a stand-still on a '83 GPZ350 - definitely not the recommended way to go, however I learned quickly, and managed never to dump the bike (had some close calls though!).

A proper clutch wheelie will be smoother, and more controlled then a power wheelie.

Go to Boundary Bay on tuesday and by the time you leave, you'll be clutching it up.

GOLF STUNNA Array Slightly Insane's Avatar
    White Rock
    Quote Originally Posted by VanDave
    Go to Boundary Bay on tuesday and by the time you leave, you'll be clutching it up.
    exactly. that bike should be a wheelie machine.
    golf is the game of gentlemen and ya'll can't fuck with this bwahahahaaaa

The Mighty One
    I'm not going to stop the torpedo wheelies but am starting to learn clutch wheelies. A few things I've learned so far might help. The front comes up faster when you're going slower. You don't need to do anything with the front brake. It's all in your coordination between that gas and clutch. More gas and/or faster release picks up the wheelie faster. Body position is key. The last thing that your body wants to do is lean back even when your mind is telling it's wheelie time. Keep working on it. Use technique A and pay less attention to a formula with exact RPM to do it. Just keep practicing and get a better feel for the bike.