Warm tires, cold tires

Thread: Warm tires, cold tires

glowing ghostie! Array gordopolis's Avatar
    I have kids

Warm tires, cold tires

Two questions about tire temperature:

1) How far/fast should you ride before you can safely consider your tires are up to temperature?

2) How long does it take for the tires to cool down after a ride?

We're talking street tires here, not race tires. (In my case, BT020's.)

I know that tire pressure will play a factor here too.

2. Remove Advertisements

builder of bikes Array cosworth's Avatar
    The Island
    I ride about 7kms before I lean it over. And this is from an underground. In the summer heat.... I lean after about 1km. To cool down? I assume any 15+ minute stop warrants a feeler lean or some distance to get the heat homogenous in the tires.

Beware painted lines on cold tires. Beware tire hot spots too. Just cause the bike is sitting in the sun and the tire is warm/hot... assume that the shaded part of the tire isn't nearly as warm. And this all goes out the window when you get new tires. You have to feel for their warm up.

Get in tune with the bike and you'll "feel" the tires warm up under you...

Out to pasture in the 'Wack
    04 Kawi Z1000,
    Certainly the time to full grip varies for each brand and model. On my F2 with the D207's I find that one lap of Mission as a "street sport" pace is enough that I can bend 'er over to full lean on the second lap. By street sport I'm talking about riding as aggresively as I ride my 9R in the twisties when I think the tires are actually warm. But then the F2's mission in life is to see how far I can push the hardware so I know better on the street when riding the shiny Green thing.... So far my warm up laps have not produced any slides so I get the impression that street tires work VERY well even from cool.

But I always allow for a lack of tire heating early or late in the season when it's very cool and the roads are cold. Or late in the evening in the summer when it's cool. I've seen and read about more than one accident at the edge of the season when the rider thought he had warm tires but they weren't.....

If I've been riding for a while in straight up position (as in touring) I consider my tires as cool and don't hit that first sharp hairpin at the end of the 20 minute straight at full lean either.
    A backyard mechanic without a service manual is just like a hooker without a lamp pole.... they are both in the dark.