NHRA Drag Races at Mission Raceway Park - July 16/17, 2005
For all of you who are interested in the drag races at Mission Raceway Park here's the information from the website (maybe we should go out & support them). There's still time to get out there because the Alcohol Dragsters and Funny Cars have qualifying sessions at 9:00 pm tonight.
· JULY 16 & 17 NHRA LUCAS OIL CANADIAN NATIONAL OPEN
Sponsored by Boston Pizza
· SEE Alcohol Dragsters and Funny Cars race side-by-side!
· Featuring: Summit ET Bracket Race B1 and Feature Classes: Junior Dragster Gold Crown Race Event, ALL NHRA Sportsman Classes.
Sponsored by Automotive Training Centres
· PLUS NOSTALGIA FUEL ALTEREDS Fresh off their 2004 World Tour! You'll see four of the greatest nitro cars in the world today! Nanook, Rat Trap, Randy Bradford and Bob Hankins' "Blue Blazer"!
· There's never been a nitro line-up like this at MRP!
· And don't forget the NORTHWEST PRO STREET SHOWDOWN of all time! Devier's bringin' that bad black bird back with thoughts of six sixties! See what could well be the first six second pass by a street legal truck in the history of the sport! The Mustangs'll be here too, maybe even Don Murray in a brand new car… all running for an NHRA Wally!
Mission, B.C. – It’s become a mid-summer tradition at Mission Raceway Park, and the NHRA National Open Presented by Lucas Oil Products of Canada this weekend will have something for every taste in drag racing.
Heading up the program is the first appearance at Mission of the nitro-fuelled AA/Fuel Altereds, vintage race cars with their roots in the 1960s. Based on a chassis with a very short wheelbase and high centre of gravity, and with a Ford Model T or similar old body style, these cars are inherently difficult to drive. Add a fire-breathing 3,000-horsepower Chrysler hemi engine to them, and stand back! Their antics, as they wheelstand and slide around barely on the edge of control, are the stuff of drag racing legend.
Western Canada is a hotbed for the modern alcohol-fueled dragsters and funny cars, and a dozen of B.C. and Alberta’s fastest cars will be on hand in a unique racing format that will see the quickest of each type of car face off for all the prize money and a coveted NHRA “Wally” trophy on Sunday afternoon.
The best field ever assembled at Mission is expected to be on hand for the Street Car Shootout. The fastest, the Pro Street cars, all street-legal, can run deep into the six-second range at over 200 mph. Local stars Rash Dhaliwal and Dal Sangha will pit their Mustangs against American invaders like Jeremy Devier, Brian Lane and Garrett Richards, and the racing should be the most intense yet seen at Mission.
For the hardcore fans of the local Mission racers, all the regular NHRA classes will be running for trophies as well, including those wheelstanding Super Stock muscle cars and the wickedly fast Top Comp dragsters.
It’ll be an action-packed weekend, with something for every racing fan.
· Gates open Saturday and Sunday at 8:00 am.
· The Fuel Altereds run five times over the weekend – at 2:00, 7:00 and 9:30 pm on Saturday, and at noon and 4:00 pm Sunday.
Note that the racing program extends into the evening Saturday, so that fans can watch the nitro-powered Fuel Altereds after dusk, when the flames can be seen shooting out of their exhausts.
The Alcohol Dragsters and Funny Cars have qualifying sessions at 4:00 and 9:00 pm Saturday, and their first round of eliminations goes Sunday at noon followed by all the other classes.
Admission on either Saturday or Sunday is $15.00, plus $5.00 for pit pass. Children under 12 are free with an adult.
Mission Raceway Park is located on Highway 11 between the Mission Bridge and the Lougheed Highway.
Looks like the qualifiers will be running until about 11:00 p.m. Saturday so there’s still time to get out there!!
Here’s the link so you can check some upcoming events: http://www.missionraceway.com/
or in french,le steekmon!
I wonder if they blow over 90db's?
if you get a chance, go on Sunday...man, those fuel altereds put on a show...noise, sideways,smoke... just like the good old days..
BTW...it was a great day..sun was shining, beer was cold
Addicted to two wheels
Nitros ran from 9:30 pm to 11:00! So much for city Noise by-laws.
headed out just after 5 today and stayed till the end.. friggin ridiculously fast cars. Mercedes group top alcohol running 5.53 and 5.57 @ 257 MPH. The altered cars are something everyone needs to see and hear in their life time.