Two Of Six Lanes On Burrard Bridge Closed Next April...
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Two Of Six Lanes On Burrard Bridge Closed Next April...

Bike
    Konker KPX 125

Two Of Six Lanes On Burrard Bridge Closed Next April...

Vancouver city council voted Tuesday to turn two of six lanes on the Burrard Bridge into dedicated (pedal) bike lanes -- a one-year experiment set to begin next April.

http://www.canada.com/vancouver/soun...c-a55d20ccd5b0

City Council members are clearly insane.

Make sure you read the sound offs...
    Last edited by VTR_Rider; 07-21-2005 at 10:48 AM.
    WMRC #20
    TwinBrosRacing.com
    Busting ours to kick yours

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    Street:SV1000S Race:Ninja 250R, CBR600 F3, DRZ125
    Whatever they're smoking..please pass it to the right.
    Some people are like Slinkies ...
    Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TwinBrosRacing <-click
    WMRC & PCMRC #19
    WMRC President

Bike
    Rhubarbed.....RIP GPZ
    Who's going to re-elect these jackasses? Not me.

Vancouver will be forever known as the City of No fun and Burrard St bridge road rage.
    A bad day of riding is, still better than a good day of work.

I'm hungry... Array tackle_me_2's Avatar
    Bike
    BMW F800ST
    I'm all for bike lanes...but closing 2 lanes on the Burrard bridge sounds insane to me. Traffic in and out of downtown is brutal as is...

Bike
    05 R6
    This is a bunch of crap...why don't they put more HOV lanes around town, rather than putting bike lanes...putting HOV lanes around town would encourage car pooling and taking the bus. People who ride bikes already ride, and giving them extra lanes on bridges won't make anyone who DOESN'T ride to ride...its pretty dumb...

ridenrain
    The bicycle nazi's are at it again.
    Bicycles are 5% of the traffic only on the nicest days.
    These retards are so entrenched in city hall, it's almost hopeless.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Team Green
    Quote Originally Posted by gti303
    This is a bunch of crap...why don't they put more HOV lanes around town, rather than putting bike lanes...putting HOV lanes around town would encourage car pooling and taking the bus. People who ride bikes already ride, and giving them extra lanes on bridges won't make anyone who DOESN'T ride to ride...its pretty dumb...
    "people who ride bikes already ride"...uhm, same thing can be said about people who carpool. Besides, I doubt HOV even encourages people to carpool. You might save 5 mins Vancouver to Surrey in a carpool. It's the high gas prices that are getting people to carpool.

Vancouver is so compact as it is. It's stupid to see people who live and work in Vancouver drive a car to work.

lupinz
    We Shoudl All Demend Motorcycle Only Lane Around The GVRD As Well, Cus Bike Is Small, TakinG less Road Space, Parking, And Less Polution..and way more sustanable than huge ass SUVs ...blah Blah...so The Burrard Bridge Should Have 1 Hov Lane, One Motorcycle Lane And A Bicycle Lane On Both Ways

FYI ....and by the way...the 2 bicycle lane will cost 1 MIIIIIILion DALLAR to Reconfigure the existing traffice pattern ont he bridge.........
    Last edited by lupinz; 07-21-2005 at 11:50 AM.

doug
    this was experimented with a few years ago and failed dismally. traffic jams for miles. drivers wanting to run over riders.

just shows that vancouver loves failure.

if anyone had any brains, they'd engineer a suspended bike lane under the bridge. it would probably cost the same as what they propose to do.

lupinz
    Quote Originally Posted by doug
    if anyone had any brains, they'd engineer a suspended bike lane under the bridge. it would probably cost the same as what they propose to do.
    actually they cant built the underpass..cus the heigh clearance above the water...for the boats..and it belong to federal juristiction......the other option is widening of the bridge which will cost 13million..

and by the way,,,the decision was so sudden...did they do any study..or public hearing?

Bike
    The Mighty One
    Critical mass is a joke. Only about 30% of those bicycle nazis commute in the rain. I have NEVER seen bicycle traffic having the trouble that cars do on that bridge even on the nicest of days and I commute on the bridge on a bicycle regularly. Burrard Bridge is gridlock daily both ways. All other major ways out of downtown aren't much better. It's like Skytrain and public transit. You can't force people out of their cars or to carpool by making driving inconvenient. People don't think this way. You need to make convenient, affordable alternatives.

doug
    Quote Originally Posted by lupinz
    actually they cant built the underpass..cus the heigh clearance above the water...for the boats..and it belong to federal juristiction......the other option is widening of the bridge which will cost 13million..

and by the way,,,the decision was so sudden...did they do any study..or public hearing?

the underpass can be built within the existing structure with little or no change to the clearance under the bridge. and considering the boat traffic that goes into false creek (and the depth of it), they don't need a ton of clearance.

like i said, they tried blocking off one lane for bikes for a weekend a few years ago and it caused chaos. it must be the right thing to do then.

as stated elsewhere, this is not the solution. if transit is to work, it has to be as convenient as driving, not driving made inconvenient. why punish those (delivery, service vehicles) that cannot possibly use alternative methods?

Bike
    It's red
    Quote Originally Posted by jay_bo
    Whatever they're smoking..please pass it to the right.
    You always pass it to the left man!
    Groovy baby

Registered User Array Jester666's Avatar
    Bike
    1966 Honda Dream305 1976 Honda CB550
    Quote Originally Posted by ridenrain
    The bicycle nazi's are at it again.
    Bicycles are 5% of the traffic only on the nicest days.
    These retards are so entrenched in city hall, it's almost hopeless.
    the fact that it's only 5% is one of the problems. We should encourage bicycle riding as much as we can. Bump that percentage up to 50%
    It's good for you,good for the city, good all around.
    However, closing 2 full lanes at this point is just plane idiocy.
    They could take away 1 lane and EASILY convert it to 2 bicycle lanes with room to spare.
    If 2 motorcycles can legally fit side by side, I'd imagine a bicycle can fit in 1/2 a lane, can't it?

Bike
    Street:SV1000S Race:Ninja 250R, CBR600 F3, DRZ125
    You always pass it to the left man!
    Isn't it the right hand rule? Plus doesn't the song say pass the dutchie to the right..I think..LOL.

You can't force people out of their cars or to carpool by making driving inconvenient. People don't think this way. You need to make convenient, affordable alternatives.
    Yep..Too bad the people in charge don't think that way..
    Some people are like Slinkies ...
    Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TwinBrosRacing <-click
    WMRC & PCMRC #19
    WMRC President