Someone New - Some help for a rider wannabe?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Someone New - Some help for a rider wannabe?

Registered User Array
    Bike
    zzr-250

Someone New - Some help for a rider wannabe?

Oh man, I hope I know what I'm doing. I've decided to take on motorcycling. Any help on what gear and bike to get would be greatly appreciated. After reading the stickys, I guess a Ninja 250 would be a good starter bike? Maybe a 500? Any suggestion on the gear I should get? Don't really care about the cost, as long as it'll last me for quite some time. Hm.. I'm thinking maybe I should post my height and size as well. 5'5" (yah I know, I'm short) and fit a size 30. Hopefully this is sometime I'll be doing for quite a long time. I heard this is quite a dangerous thing to get into, but I'll just slowly build up my skills. Anyways, thanks to whoever gives me any good suggestions/advice. (I'm taking BCSC if that's any help)
    Last edited by jkoneten; 07-22-2005 at 01:09 PM. Reason: changed title.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Yup, bin' on a holiday... Array SkipTkt's Avatar
    Bike
    1 Honda, 1 Suzuki, 1 Yamaha.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by jkoneten
    Oh man, I hope I know what I'm doing. I've decided to take on motorcycling. Any help on what gear and bike to get would be greatly appreciated. After reading the stickys, I guess a Ninja 250 would be a good starter bike? Maybe a 500? Any suggestion on the gear I should get? Don't really care about the cost, as long as it'll last me for quite some time. Hm.. I'm thinking maybe I should post my height and size as well. 5'5" (yah I know, I'm short) and fit a size 30. Hopefully this is sometime I'll be doing for quite a long time. I heard this is quite a dangerous thing to get into, but I'll just slowly build up my skills slowly. Anyways, thanks to whoever gives me any good suggestions/advice. (I'm taking BCSC if that's any help)

Have a look at the New Rider thread topics -go through a few pages to start- and you'll see all the answers [and opinions] to match all of your questions. And good on ya' for asking in the first place. Good luck!
    It's not the number of breaths you take but the moments that leave you breathless.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    '00 Suzuki SV650SY
    yeah look into a course at one of the riding school, and re-ask those questions after the lesson, i bet you won't because after the lessons and a trip to the bike store, you'll probably have a pretty good idea of what you want/need

Registered User Array
    Bike
    zzr-250
    Alright guys, thanks for the help. I'll check up on the forum again and look through some old threads. I'll ask my stuff after that. I hope I can maybe contribute something to this community as well. Wish me luck with my skills test.

Bike
    2004 R1, 2005 DL1000 V-Strom
    Welcome to BCSB!

Don't hesitate to ask any questions you have, even if they seem redundant. That's what this section of this forum is all about. Either a Ninja 250 or a 500 will be great learners bikes. My suggestion is to first take a riders course. The plus is you get to learn on their bikes. After that you'll have a greater understanding of what style of bike you'd like, what kind of riding you'll want to do and what size of bike may be appropriate for you. Plus you will learn valuable skills which will likely save your hide on more than one occasion.

As for gear, buy the best that you can. In some cases this doesn't always mean most expensive, but is more about proper fit. Try to take an experienced rider with you (Someone who's riden long enough and often enough to have gone through several different suits / helmets) while purchasing gear. I'll be happy to meet up with you at a dealership if you need.

Good luck, and let us know how things go!
    Reformatted to fit your screen.

Mr. Sophisticata Array toomuchgsxr's Avatar
    Bike
    05 Gixx 1000
    ohmigosh, someone used the seach option.
    Team Troll - Triple T

Registered User Array Haxornator's Avatar
    Bike
    bike
    you wuss, go get a gsxr1300 today and ride it home, you'll be fine.
    ---------------------------------------------------

All units put out an APB on a car, of some sort. Going in the direction of... you know of that place that sells chili.
    SUSPECT IS HATLESS I REPEAT HATLESS!!!

Registered User Array
    Bike
    zzr-250
    You know what Mighty, I might just have to take up your offer on helping me out with getting gear and such. If I knew someone who rides myself, I wouldn't have to bother you with such. But yah, thanks though. I'll probably be contacting you sometime soon.

Liquid72
    Welcome to the site ..and dont mind the useless idiots who dont want to help ..and write useless info ..instead of offering a helping hand.. trust me there more of them on this site than should be..How easy they forget what its like to be a noob...

Go to a respectable shop ..Imperial ..and they will help you out for sure..good guys..they all ride ..and there prices are fair...buy what you can afford ..good luck and get ready for a highly addictive sport !!

The slow guy behind you Array Brian's Avatar
    Bike
    '97 GSX-R 750
    I'll just add my 2 yen's worth too! Welcome to a sport that will ultimately consume you!!! I got into riding 20 years ago with my first bike, a Kawi LTD 750, and haven't looked back since. It's been a whole lot of learning,riding, falling off (not good btw), and meeting a whole lot of good people that share the same interests. I'll have to echo some of the same things others have said already:

Get a riding course under your belt! The best way to start of right.
    Get the best possible gear you can afford, including a very good helmet (it's your NOGGIN' after all)
    Do as much research online and in stores where you can try stuff on.
    Don't buy the bike you think you'll "grow" into, it'll just get you into trouble.
    Don't listen to all the nay sayers about how dangerous riding is, if you have your wits and head about you, it can be quite safe.
    Best of all, when you do start actually riding, take it slow, learn in parking lots or other places where there is little or no traffic.
    And finally, enjoy the heck out of riding!

P.S. If you're looking for a good learner bike, PM Evelet on this board. She has a Suzuki GS 500 for sale that's pretty much mint.

Brian

Registered User Array
    Bike
    zzr-250
    Is richmond motor sports a good place to get stuff? I dont' really want to go out too far to get my things. Oh yah, does anyone know if there are any discounts if I plan on getting the bike and all the gear at once? (Wishful thinking maybe?). Suzuki GS 500 huh? I'll just do a google on that to see if that's something that will suit me. Thanks guys for the help, appreciate it.

Bike
    EX500
    Quote Originally Posted by jkoneten
    Is richmond motor sports a good place to get stuff? I dont' really want to go out too far to get my things. Oh yah, does anyone know if there are any discounts if I plan on getting the bike and all the gear at once? (Wishful thinking maybe?). Suzuki GS 500 huh? I'll just do a google on that to see if that's something that will suit me. Thanks guys for the help, appreciate it.
    RMS is a good place to go, both in the accesories area (helmets, jackets, etc...) and the bike area. However, shop around. The links section of this site will give you most, if not all, of the shops. When you have that, try different places. For example, Carter Motorsports has two branches, one near Granville Island, and the other in Coquitlam, but each has stuff that the other branch doesn't. Most importent, decide what you want, and don't get pushed into helping the salesperson get a bigger commision. I stopped at a shop on the way home from the road test, and said I was looking for a bike to begin with, something in the range of 500cc, and the salesperson tried to convince me that a 750cc is ok to start with. Some have done so, and quite succesfully, but generaly it is considred a bit too powerfull for a beginer bike...

Lastly, utilize the search function for this site, and get info regarding specific products and/or stores, not to mention bikes.

Good luck!!!
    There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    zzr-250
    I'll have to remember to ask them about the discounts. I suppose I can't just shop around in richmond, and here I was hoping that everything I need would be close to me. Alright, thanks for the tip. I'll be sure to check up on those links.

retired panda racer...~_~ Array HydeNobuyuki's Avatar
    Bike
    It's big and heavy.. must be a sport tourer
    at 5'5" you should be able to put your feet flat on the ground on a ninja250...
    honestly... especially in our early learnings stages... i find being able to flatfoot the ground much easier to handle the bike when moving it around... that and when you come to a stop you don't have to worry about falling over... best of luck to you
    Are you a Dr Jeckyl? or Mr Hyde?

--This vancouverite currently resides in Osaka, Japan--

Julia, Ride In Peace; You've touched our lives ~10 July 2005~

Bike
    she goes vroom vroom!!
    I like Richmond Motorsports. Got good deal on helmet and gloves there. Actually, I've gotten deals everywhere and on everything I got. Just gotta smile, be nice, and ask! I'm usually too lazy to shop around, unless it's something really expensive like a leather suit. In this case, I shopped everywhere and ended up saving over $400.
    As for your bike, I recommend waiting until you at least finish half your bike course before you decide on which bike to get. Your instructor might be able to recommend something to you based on how you do. I bought a used bike. And I'm glad, cuz laid it down once on each side in the parking lot. (whoopsies). I would've cried if it was brand new, but it's not and would lay it down again just to try & practice picking it up! (I can't pick it up, too heavy) :P