opinions on gear

Thread: opinions on gear

granny in training Array spinster's Avatar
    North Vancouver
    suzuki dr650 motard

opinions on gear

it seems we are getting more and more sad news about accidents, and so I want to update my gear to keep me safer.

any opinions on where is a good place to go for selection and advice? do you have a preference in brands? do some offer more than others in safety and in value?

I'm thinking one-piece leathers. But i'm on a supermoto, do you think that will look dumb? lol, maybe I should stick to a two piece, but what are the real differences in safety when it comes to one-piece vrs two-piece? When it comes down to it, i'd rather be safe than sexy, but if possible- do both!?

I'm 5'9 about 120lbs. I'm wondering if there are any tips on fitting into leathers that other women riders could give me pointers on. For example, what should I look for, and try to avoid.

lots of questions here, huh... thanks for your input, gals!
    broken cookies = broken dreams

2. Remove Advertisements

A couple of Suzukis
    Well, I'm not a 'gal' but I'll give you my input Katie...

As far as the Supermoto with the 1pce leathers... Do it. That's typically what I wear. Throw some mx boots and a dirtbike helmet on with the leathers and you'll look the tits. (err...so to speak)

But a 2-pce may be better. Especially if you do a lot of street riding, and you want to sit down and have lunch or a coffee half way through your ride. Or just so you have the jacket to wear seperately with jeans if you want to.

When I was street riding more, I really liked the 2pce. But as I started doing more trackriding, and less street duty, the 1pce has been better. Your call.
    Maybe Mediocre
    BCSB - I hate you

Yup, bin' on a holiday... Array SkipTkt's Avatar
    1 Honda, 1 Suzuki, 1 Yamaha.
    I don't know enough about SuperMoto but I can tell ya:

[Press PLAY for rant here ]: I bought a 2-pc Joe Rocket suit ["GPX" model], along with the matching gloves... and both suck. Threads are already coming loose in various places in the suit; the 'wind channel' air in-takes on the shoulders are already pulling back off the glue [looks like I must be ridin' at 400kph all day] and the snaps at the waist came off twice already. And the low-ish collar is suede like... rough on the skin. The gloves: palm area re-inforcements are sewn across the upper palm in such a way so as to guarantee blisters. Every time. My other Joe Rocket stuff in the past was good - but this suit -IMHO- isn't. That said, I've seen a lot of these suits out there and their owners tell me they're happy with it. Maybe mine was made on a Friday afternoon [?].

Lesson learned: I'll never again factor the "price-point" so high on my list of considerations. Yes, price IS always a consideration ...but ought not be too high on the list of priorities. My bad.
    It's not the number of breaths you take but the moments that leave you breathless.