Can't get knees down!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Can't get knees down!

Bike
    2000 ZX-6R - black and silver

Unhappy Can't get knees down!

ok, here's the deal. I bought my leathers last year and I still haven't scuffed the knee sliders. I've tried to get as low as i can in turns, usually a turn about like when getting on to the queensboro bridge or the nordel exit off of alex fraser and so on. i'm looking well ahead, using decent speed but just can't seem to get my knee down. what am i doing wrong. i don't want to be a loser and scuff them with sandpaper and i am getting a bit sick of them looking new. any tips please.....
    Ride long and prosper.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    2000 R6 RaceBike..
    well its probably your entry technique. you sound like your carrying speed into the corner but are probably entering to early which causes you to brake earlier and get on the gas later to set it up the way your trying now. Try practicing comming in deeper on the outside of the corner and really quickflicking the bike into the apex at the last moment but be carefull the street isnt really the best place to learn this.. get on a track..that being said..yada yada yada.. also try comming in later and faster under braking and trail brake into the apex of the corner..harder at first and gently letting the brakes off as you begin to apply gas..getting on the gas earlier in the corner will make the bike handle not run wide as you may think..a smoothe roll on will track you line and hold you tight. take a look at your body position on the bike aswell. If your hanging off and are entering right you wont need as much lean angle on the bike as you think allowing more contact patch area on your tires wich is always a good thing..

But the most important thing is technique..DONT RUSH IT..it will come with time..practice carefully and be smoothe with gas and brakes especcially trailbraking its an advanced technique. This works for me and may for you..but its just theory and dont rush anything..you must go slow to go fast
    Life is like a beautiful woman, you just thinks its a bitch cuz it wont give you any.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    pinto
    take it easy..one of the best ways to crash is to only think about, "get the knee down, get the knee down"..

if you consistently work on your cornering technique, pushing your limits a bit at a time.. you'll get your knee on the deck sooner or later.

a good place to start is to make sure you're not fighting the bike through a corner.. I've seen many newer riders go through corners.. and what they do with their body's actually helps to pull the bike off line.. not a good thing

hang off with the outside leg against the gas tank..

do not use the inside leg to push against the peg in an effort to steer.., handlebars are for steering, pegs (unless you dirt ride) aren't

keep your outside arm loose and relaxed

use the inside arm to apply pressure to the bar to steer into the turn

bend the inside arm (outside arm extends) to help pull your torso forward on the bike.

course everyone has their own style on how to make it work, take this with, as with anything else.. a grain of salt.

Pick up the keith code books.. they'll go a long way to helping you understand the mechanics of controlling a bike

Bike
    A couple of Suzukis
    Go to the track...or even just try it in a clean, large parking lot (beware: this is the poser knee down, not the make you faster knee down). Once you do a corner over and over again...you know how clean it is, the best line to take, and you can begin taking it faster and faster. Best accomplished at the track...but you can get the same basic idea in a parking lot with some cones, or sidewalk chalk. Or even the switchbacks up on Cypress or Seymour...you can just keep turning around and doing the corners over and over again. Not the safest thing...but probably better thna doing it on the Nordel offramp.
    Last edited by Harps; 08-18-2002 at 02:54 AM.
    Maybe Mediocre
    BCSB - I hate you

Bike
    A couple of Suzukis
    If all else fails...HANG OFF LIKE A MONKEY!
    Maybe Mediocre
    BCSB - I hate you

Registered User Array
    Bike
    pinto

Bike
    1198 S 999R 990 superduke

Re: Can't get knees down!

Originally posted by Ninja 6
    ok, here's the deal. I bought my leathers last year and I still haven't scuffed the knee sliders. I've tried to get as low as i can in turns, usually a turn about like when getting on to the queensboro bridge or the nordel exit off of alex fraser and so on. i'm looking well ahead, using decent speed but just can't seem to get my knee down. what am i doing wrong. i don't want to be a loser and scuff them with sandpaper and i am getting a bit sick of them looking new. any tips please.....
    I don't want to come of in a harsh way here........but
    getting your knee down DON'T MEAN SHIT!
    and to complain that you don't touch down ON THE ROAD is beond me. Come on buddy, if ya really need to touch down ,go to the track,you can touch down all freekin day long,and no busses,no car's,no pedestrians,no dog's,no oil spill's and everyone is going the same way. To touch down on the street is a little beond me,and I will save it for the track. Be safe out there.if your tryin to touch down on the street,you probably will........along with the rest of your body.......hope theres no buses,cars,truck's comming when your tryin.

"Perfect example" EG spend's all day on his knee,just wastes those knee sliders like they givin them away at seven eleven.

I touch down at turn 2 and 6 and maybe if Im in the hunt on 11 but that's it . ask EG how much faster he is than me with his knee down in every corner.

A buddy of mine won the Alberta superbike championship last year...........and didn't touch his knee to the track till the verry last race.
    Getting married is like stickin your hand in a running lawnmower.....if you are smart..you'll only do it ONCE !
    (by S Whiting)

I took the "Short Bus" to school....only kuz they told me it was faster......What did they tell you ?

Bikeless in Coquitlam Array davet's Avatar
    Bike
    1999 Suzuki TL1000R

Re: Re: Can't get knees down!

Originally posted by PH-Q2

and to complain that you don't touch down ON THE ROAD is beond me. Come on buddy, if ya really need to touch down ,go to the track,you can touch down all freekin day long,and no busses,no car's,no pedestrians,no dog's,no oil spill's and everyone is going the same way. To touch down on the street is a little beond me,and I will save it for the track. Be safe out there.if your tryin to touch down on the street,you probably will........along with the rest of your body.......hope theres no buses,cars,truck's comming when your tryin.

"Perfect example" EG spend's all day on his knee,just wastes those knee sliders like they givin them away at seven eleven.

I touch down at turn 2 and 6 and maybe if Im in the hunt on 11 but that's it . ask EG how much faster he is than me with his knee down in every corner.

A buddy of mine won the Alberta superbike championship last year...........and didn't touch his knee to the track till the verry last race.
    Amen on that, the street is no place for it, but if you insist on doing it, I'm sure Darwin's theory will prevail. Some of the fastest streeetriders I know have perfectly unscuffed knee sliders.

David

Re: Re: Can't get knees down!

Originally posted by PH-Q2

Bike
    Canon 1ds3 1d4
    as i understand it you get your knee down to judge how much further you can get the bike down.
    If you are taking the corners hard as is w/out your knee, why stress to much over it?
    no

Registered User Array
    Bike
    I'm not telling, but Atom isn't allowed near it.
    In all honesty man, scraping sliders has no place on the street, take it to the track.

See This Post and this Post and finally this Post

I'm not trying to pick on the guys in the post, my point is that there are too many variables on the street to ride aggressively, we've had way too many members go down this season. Let's start riding a little more responsibly on the street and start getting more track days lined up for next season.

Jim.

Bike
    i need a new bike.
    drag your knee pucks at cypress and seymour

Bike
    2K9 ZX-6R
    doesn't knee dragging slow you down? it may be cool, but
    i think the knees, if set up properly, should be used as a guage for lean angle maximum relative to your pegs. i usually scrape pegs before i do knees, and trust me, you don't want to scrape pegs for long... i can attest turn 4 at Spokane.
    darn it!
    Your Anguish Sustains Me

whatchulike?
    i agree with all the guys that say keep knee draggin on the track ...but if u don't want to or can't get to the track find someone with a ysr and drag ur knee in a parking lot.....looks the same and u can tell everyone u did it on the street

Bike
    Canon 1ds3 1d4
    ysr?
    no