BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Inspections for Used Bikes

943 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Enger 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi guyz just a question,

I was planning on buying a used bike, but i was wondering where i can go to do an inspection on the bike? Can i like just take it to RMS (or anywhere else in richmond) and have them inspect it? (and pay them for it of course :) )

and also how do i do lein checks? like what info do i need and where do i go to do it?

thxs everyone
Keiichi

G
#2 ·
Well most people won't allow test rides but I'm sure if they still have insurance or a truck would bring it down to the shop of your choice. people have been calling me and just askin for the vin, so I guess there is an online search you can do. Ive never bought used so i can't give you the info on that part. I guess this is a good time to promote my bike click the link in my sig.

#3 ·
Keiichi said:
Hi guyz just a question,

I was planning on buying a used bike, but i was wondering where i can go to do an inspection on the bike? Can i like just take it to RMS (or anywhere else in richmond) and have them inspect it? (and pay them for it of course :) )

and also how do i do lein checks? like what info do i need and where do i go to do it?

thxs everyone
Keiichi

If you search the threads, you will find the answers to most of your questions, but in any case, I looked up a previous answer I gave on this topic:

Three checks you can do before buying a used motorcycle:

First check if it is stolen. For this you need the VIN, and then go to the website: http://www.cpic-cipc.ca/

This is the Canadian Police Information Centre (CPIC), and you can check if the bike has been reported stolen. This is free (your tax dollars at work).

Second, go to a ICBC branch, and ask to check if the bike has any lien's against it. Again, you need the VIN. This costs $10.

Third, call ICBC (you cannot do this at the local branch), to check if there have been any claims regarding the bike (a vehicle damage report), i.e., has the bike been in an accident. BE AWARE that if the previous owner was in an accident, and did not notify ICBC, then ICBC cannot know. Can't really blame them. The number is (604) 661-2233. Once again, you need the VIN. This costs $20 + tax. The will send you the report by mail, fax or e-mail, whatever you want.

Lastly, if you want the bike inspected before you buy, to make sure that you aren't being taken advantage off, Simon's (255 East 7th Ave) will do it for free. One assumes that they hope for return business from a happy customer. Haven't done it yet (but I plan to), cannot say how good they are from personel experience, but they have been recommended to me. Also, Imperial will check your bike from top to bottem, and advise you if the bike is good, and if more work needs to be done, and how much it should cost. Last I heard, they charge $75 for this. I imagine that most any dealership/garage will do the same.

Good luck.

#4 ·
BC Lien Search Ltd.
604-833-5436 www.bcliensearch.com
BC Gov Lien Search : $26
ICBC Accident Searches: $26
Lien & Accident Combo: $47

I got the above info from my insurance dealer after I bought my bike so I haven't used their service yet. They do their service all over the phone in guaranteed 10 min or less. I think that's why they're pricier than going into ICBC.

For inspection, I asked the seller to take the bike and meet me at Imperial for a general inspection. It was about $70 - 75.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.