I am scared shitless.. Ever since joining BCSB
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: I am scared shitless.. Ever since joining BCSB

Bike
    Ducati Monster 750

I am scared shitless.. Ever since joining BCSB

Well since I've join this Board.. All i've heard are horror stores or people crashing, killing themselves or hurting themselves really badly...

Kinda make me want to reconsider getting my licence. I knew there were some risks I had to take when getting on a bike, but I never thought it was this dangerous. It really freaks me out.

I guess taking a riding course is probably the best thing for me to do, but I still have doubts. I mean.. I 've only heard great things about these courses but how much can you learn for a course where you don't get and street experience. Oh all the accidents I heard here, most of them were not the rider's fault. That is what bothers me the most. No matter how much you try.. there is nothing you can do about what someone else is doing. I understand there are hting that you can do to avaid those people (defensive driving to teh max) but I'm still worried. In a car my main concern was to be cautious and drive with courtesy and continue to watchout for jackass drivers on the road.

I'm 20 years old now.. have had my DL for 4 years am very areful on the road and went accident free for 4 years until last year when someone hit me (not my fault) really badly. My car was a write off and I was in the hospital for 2 days. But when I think of the same situation on a bike .. it would have been 10 maybe 20 times worse.. there is no doubt in my mind, that I would have been dead.

I'm really worried I won't even make it through my first season of riding.

Any words of Advice? Have Any of you more experienced riders been in similar situations.
    Last edited by padraf; 08-21-2002 at 02:07 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    2001 R6 Red
    You should take a riding course for sure. Then you will learn from experience. You'll make mistakes when you start but after awhile you will correct yourself (hopefully) and can anticipate things around you. Also, ride within your limits. Don't let others push you to go faster.

blade929boy
    it's just an information highway...if you look at it there is a car accident every few minutes in this country,you just don't hear about them.with the board being so tight,you are going to hear of a lot of events i.e. the accident just posted happened in ontario,he just knew people here,maybe was from here.
    riding is your choice but just keep that in mind.over 800 members,there's tons of info to be had!

builder of bikes Array cosworth's Avatar
    Bike
    bah
    Remember that if you were not here you would not hear of almost ANY accidents. There are enough people here who are networked enough to know of almost ANY accident around the province.

Ride easy and don't stunt. Stay in a cat-like state of awareness and don't drink or smoke weed before riding. You almost triple your chances of staying alive following those rules.

Bike
    It's red
    Like GTI says, take an MSF course. I did and I would strongly recommend it to anyone. They will teach you everything you need to know to properly ride. After that it is up to you to be alert of what's going on around you and to be safe. As you get more km's under your belt you will become more confident on a bike but never forget that you are still on only a bike and that one mistake can turn deadly.

If after taking a course and you still don't feel comfortable on a bike then don't ride. It's your decision to make and some people just aren't cut out for riding. You only have 1 life to live and you should live it how you want. For me that means riding. I love it and would be hard pressed to find a reason for giving it up.

One last thing I have to say is that generally, you only hear about bad news because both the way our society exists today as well as an important reminder and/or lesson about what can happen to you out there on the road. That's the way I look at it at least. (No one has to agree with me on that point)

Ride safe everyone!
    Groovy baby

Wanderer of the Wastes Array DNAspark99's Avatar
    Bike
    MONSTEROSITY
    fear is your ally.
    fear can keep you alive.
    however, on a bike, fear can also kill you.
    damned if ya do, damned if ya don't: you know the paradigm.

you make the call.
    "I dread beyond all else the growth of the petty tyranny of restrictive legislation, the transference of disciplinary authority from the judiciary to the constabulary, the abandonment of every constitutional safeguard of individual liberty."

Bike
    bah
    DNA nails it. Read my sig line below. If you are profoundly scared will increase your chances of going down I swear.

drinking&riding
    totally agree.....haven't seen much crashes in my group, but been some close calls.....usually from guys trying to catchup, have to know ur limits. from what i seen, guys try to catch up in the straights, and gun it. then all of sudden there's a hard right, and then ur comin in with too much heat and hit the dirt.

Bike
    2014 FZ-09
    Originally posted by redDevil
    Like GTI says, take an MSF course. I did and I would strongly recommend it to anyone. They will teach you everything you need to know to properly ride. After that it is up to you to be alert of what's going on around you and to be safe. As you get more km's under your belt you will become more confident on a bike but never forget that you are still on only a bike and that one mistake can turn deadly.

Ride safe everyone!
    I fully agree with Red Devil. For me the riding coarse didn't only teach me how to ride a bike but it also made me a better and way more aware driver in my car/truck. Nothing in life is a given and there is nothing to say that nothing bad cannot happen to you but you can learn from your own experiences, others experiences and common sense how to minimize the risks. Ride within your limits, the limits of your surroundings and try and to anticipate what everyone around you might do.

Registered User Array omega red's Avatar
    Bike
    2000 rc51
    all info are true.. but honestly.. once you get on your bike you will love it. alertness will come in time.. lost to learn, almost overwhelming. but it will become a secondary action. and then all you will be doing is enjoying the freedome on a bike.
    ride to last not fast.

Registered User Array omega red's Avatar
    Bike
    2000 rc51
    personally, i think the leader should wait, quit riding so hard when there are new riders around.. teach them! be a friend!
    limit is something to be learned, not shown.

Originally posted by drinking&riding
    totally agree.....haven't seen much crashes in my group, but been some close calls.....usually from guys trying to catchup, have to know ur limits. from what i seen, guys try to catch up in the straights, and gun it. then all of sudden there's a hard right, and then ur comin in with too much heat and hit the dirt.
    ride to last not fast.

Bike
    There's risk involved in almost everything...people get killed falling off a toilet...

You can't go through life worrying about what MIGHT happen. Be aware of the risks, take the proper precautions (take a course, wear proper gear, etc.) and know/ride within your limits.

If to you, the risk outweighs the satisfaction you get from riding, then that's your decision. Whatever makes you happy, right?
    BCSB - Moderator

Bike
    Ducati Monster 750
    thanks for all your input guys..

I have taken almost all the precautionary actions so far. I have bought a small very affordable bike, I have some gear lined up for me as soon as I get back (I'm in Philly, but bike is in Van and gear is to be picked up), and I will be either taking a course before the end of this season (not sure if there is enough time this season) or at the begining of next season.

I'm very excited about riding and I look forward to it, i'm just being careful. I think being worried is okay for me .. for it keeps me on edge. I don't wat to just relax and not be aware. I guess I am still shaken up from my last accident.

I've riden a few times and rode a drit bike all of my childhood, but I understand I have much to learn about riding.

I guess I should be a little more possitive. I have to take some risks ,which is why I'm ready to take up this sport/hobby...just one thing..

Did any of you guys feel this way when you first got into riding?

Bike
    bah
    I had some "moments" learning. Hell I even put her down at low speeds. In the end you'll see that doing stunts or riding at your limit is not affordable nor is it smart. I just ride around super mellow now and laugh at all the stunt crashes that happen.

KawBoy
    If you thought riding was safe because you didn't hear about too many accidents you were definitely wrong. Motorcycle accidents don't get a lot of coverage in the news. Even the ones that cause death. So being in our little community you will definitely hear more. It's just a reality check. I see guys all the time that are dressed and ride like they are invincible. That's far from the truth. It sounds like you're make a very responsible decision and taking all the necessary precautions to have a safe and thoroughly enjoyable experience. Welcome to Living!!!