Anyone buy a car in the U.S. and bring into Canada?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Anyone buy a car in the U.S. and bring into Canada?

Registered User Array
    Bike
    2007 KTM Superduke, 2008 KTM 300XCWe

Anyone buy a car in the U.S. and bring into Canada?

Hey, I'm getting pissed off at my Toyota dealerships take it or leave it attitude. They already lied to me about the delivery of my new truck and told me to cancel my order. I kind of knew the truck would be late because of high demand etc. but the sales manager told me one thing and then told me he never said such thing. So anyway I noticed that people in the states are getting way better deals than us canadians on Toyota's anyway. We are stuck with MSRP where they get it a few hundred above invoice. Has anyone ever bought a car from the states and brought it into canada? Was it much trouble? Is it worth it price wise?? Any info. appreciated.

Team Squampton Mascott Array atr911's Avatar
    Bike
    Fireblade
    I've done it on a 1980 Porsche. Here's what you need to do:

Make sure car CAN actually be imported, some cars can't even be brought in for a multiple of reasons.

Buy car and drop title off at the specified border crossing at the US office. You'll need to determine what crossing provides this service, they don't all. Also the original title needs to be dropped off or fedexed, not faxed or anything like that. You really have to purchase the car before gettng this title because possession is 9/10ths of the law in the US.

Wait 48 hours for the US side to check agains leins and thefts on the vehicle.

REturn to the border with the vehicle, pick up title and paperwork from the US office, proceed to Canadian side to pay fees and taxes on purchase price of the vehicle. On a new vehicle this could be rather pricey. $125 for A/C tax, $100 for import docs and then the 7% GST.

Proceed to ICBC centre to pay the registration fees and 7% PST

with the current exchange and our proximity to the border this may be worth your while. When I imported my car it didn't have an engine so it had to be trailered. was a 12 hour drive each way and I had to do it twice because I didn't have anywhere to leave the car for the forty eight hours. I think my total cost was about $1000 but I declared the car at $500 b/c it was only a shell, no interior or engine and minimal exterior.

Gluck!

Adam
    We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle

Team Squampton Mascott Array atr911's Avatar
    Bike
    Fireblade
    Oh, how could I forget, you still need to AirCare and have an import inspection done (Canadian Tire does these and there is no fee to you for the inspection). They will have to sell you a child seat teather bolt and may have to wire up daytime running lights if the car doesn't already have them (universal unit costs $40 + install)
    We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle

Bike
    V-Strom DL1000
    48 hours? I've been told three days, minimum. Um, work days, of course. There is a reasonable storage yard in Blaine that I used when "exporting" my Suzuki. Mind you, I had to walk a mile back to the border to get a ride home. And I also did have to pay an "inspection fee" at the border that I assume is what funds the Canadian Tire inspection that Adam said was free? In any case, under no circumstances should you cross the border with this vehicle before jumping through all the *US* customs hoops or they may have the ability to take it outright if you ever cross the border and get pulled over.

Fuelled by rice Array racerboy88's Avatar
    Bike
    Derbi
    better contact a brokerage firm to get the lowdown on all fees since it is a new truck
    02 R1- stolen Nov 24/02

Hang Thieves

Happy Camper Array BlackScorpion's Avatar
    Purgasurrey Sportbike: GSX-R750, 2001 F4i, 2002 RM-9, 2003 Derbi SuperMoto Xtreme Posts:1,000,016!!
    Bike
    GSX-R750, 2001 F4i, 2002 RM-9 Posts:1,000,012!!
    I naively brought in a Countach replicar. I trailered it up to the US side. They took 3 hours to look over the title and had a drug dog go inside and out of that car. During that time, I was not allowed to go anywhere near the car and had to watch from a distance while this German sheppard walked all over the inside and outside of the car...ugh.
    On the canadian side, they made me pay taxes and duties and told me I had something like 30 days to get it safety inspected. That took another couple of hours.

Nobody wanted to safety inspect the car because it was highly modified, so I started getting letters in the mail saying the car was in the country illegally and the government had a right to come into my property, repossess my car and "deport" it.

Fortunately for me, the third-party company that was contracted by the govt to do the importations of cars lost their contract and decided to close any open cases from the previous 3 months....so my car could stay, but I couldn't register it until I got it safety inspected. But at that point there was no deadline.

So something to keep in mind, if it's a highly modified car with body kit parts, or modified chassis or motor, you may have a hard time keeping it in the country. It doesn't have to be something crazy either. Try bringing in a VW Golf R32 into the country, they're not allowed even though it's a factory performance car.

Bike
    I wish.
    Ok, I've got to see pictures of this Countach replicar. Share!
    BCSB- Administrator

User And Abuser Array alternateimpact's Avatar
    Bike
    2004 CBR 600 F4i
    I bought a chevy S10 pickup from a relative in Seattle years ago. by the time I paid taxes, duty, and exchange rate, it was way more than I would have paid for the same truck in Canada.

Unregistered User Array greenboy's Avatar
    Bike
    Knobbies
    Sounds like a lot of work to do the importing route.

As for the Toyota dealers they do that because they can, they have no problems moving their inventory. If you don't buy it someone else will. Look at it another way: it's worth it once you have your new Toyota, they're basically bomb-proof and that's the price you pay.

Good luck.

Bike
    05 Gixxer 1000 LE Supermoto: 07 DRZ400SM Dirt: 09 Kawasaki KX450F Monster Ed. 07 Custom Chopper
    I did it when I moved to Canada. Go look up the vehicle registars website you can see all the details there. The one thing the canadians dont tell you is that you have to EXPORT the car outta the US. WHich means the customs guy stamps a piece of paper before letting you take the car outta the US. Its ghay and takes 5 min to do, but they require the car to stay in the US for 72 hrs for processing. So you have to rent a storage unit during this time. FOR ME I got lucky cuz I owned the car so I left himi the title. I came back 72 Hrs later, stamped it and I was done. Go to the customs on canadian side and pay your duties and fees and your done. Then off to do the govt and provin. inspections.

Now can anyone tell me how to import a handgun from the US legally?
    Mayor Of "Poserville"

<----- Current Avatart Is *NWS*

Kawi=Junk™, Honda=Boring™, Suzuki=Wannabes™, Yamaha=Posers™, Ducati=Overrated™, Aprilia=Insecure™, BMW=Compensation™, Harley Davidson=Garbage™, Buell=See Harley™

Registered User Array DoubleAim's Avatar
    Bike
    08 ZX10r
    Doesnt the car have to be 15 years and older to be allow to be imported to canada?? If not, then all the cars in the states is like 5k cheaper when converted to canadian dollars

Bike
    05 Gixxer 1000 LE Supermoto: 07 DRZ400SM Dirt: 09 Kawasaki KX450F Monster Ed. 07 Custom Chopper
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleAim
    Doesnt the car have to be 15 years and older to be allow to be imported to canada?? If not, then all the cars in the states is like 5k cheaper when converted to canadian dollars
    That applies to vehicles not sold in NA or that are on a list which is on that website as well. My car was sold in NA so it could be allowed in.
    Mayor Of "Poserville"

<----- Current Avatart Is *NWS*

Kawi=Junk™, Honda=Boring™, Suzuki=Wannabes™, Yamaha=Posers™, Ducati=Overrated™, Aprilia=Insecure™, BMW=Compensation™, Harley Davidson=Garbage™, Buell=See Harley™

Supporting Sponsor/Vendor Array
    Bike
    03 RC51,03 ZX6RR
    Check Riv.ca to make sure your car is importable.
    the us side needs the paperwork for 72 hours, they say it could take longer but it generally isnt any longer than three working days, at which point they will call you and tell you its ready then, you bring the car by there, they will have a quick peak and stamp the paper.
    Some of the vehicles may seem so much cheaper than they are here, but most of the imports are subject to 6.1% duty (i know porsches and mazda's are for sure) so that sure does make a difference.
    If the vehicle is less than 15yrs old you have to pay RIV $182, which gets you the form 2 to get your vehicle inspected at canadian tire, if it is more than 15yrs old you dont have to deal with RIV, which is a VERRRY good thing, so im actually not sure if you have to pay for the ct inspection or not.
    Aircare is also waived for the first year.

Happy Camper Array BlackScorpion's Avatar
    Purgasurrey Sportbike: GSX-R750, 2001 F4i, 2002 RM-9, 2003 Derbi SuperMoto Xtreme Posts:1,000,016!!
    Bike
    GSX-R750, 2001 F4i, 2002 RM-9 Posts:1,000,012!!
    Quote Originally Posted by adamantium
    Ok, I've got to see pictures of this Countach replicar. Share!
    Ask and ye shall receive...
    This was about 6 years ago, so the quality of digital cameras was a little poopy. Makes the car look that much better in low-res. :O)

I bought the car sight-unseen from over the internet...what a nightmare. Turns out the car was more of a project than it appeared in the pics. Needed the interior done, bodywork and paint. I was lucky to get it into the country by fluke, as there's no way this thing would have passed any kind of safety inspection. Fortunately, I was able to get rid of it locally soon after.

It was really wild towing it home from the border on an open trailer. I remember EVERYBODY looking at it, honking, giving me thumbs up, and I even had some girls come out of their car at a red light and take pictures of it. For me the Countach is THE definition of the first real exotic car. Everything since then is just an imitation...mid-engine, gull-wing doors, big wing, I think the Countach was the first to have all that. :O)

doug
    ah yes. the fiero kit car. blocked in the jackstand race prepped charger for ages.