BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Sept 10/11 -- MOUNT ST. HELENS

1K views 20 replies 4 participants last post by  r1100s 
#1 · (Edited)
Cancelled due to weather ... again ....... FACK!

WHERE TO
Sat: Helens twisties (Randle-Yale, Windy Ridge, Curly Creek, etc.) via Washington backroads, motel in Woodland.
Sun: Retrace steps.

MEETING PLACE AND TIME
Hills Chevron, Blaine.
6:00am :eek
depart 6:15 sharp.
MIGHT CANCEL AT LAST MINUTE due to weather so if you're interested PM me with your phone number, otherwise you might be the only one waiting in Blaine.

PACE
Quick in the twisties, no hurry on the straights.

EXPERIENCE
It will be solid riding from sunup to sundown on both days. Lunch will be the only rest stop. Tricky roads + fatigue = trouble. So I'll discourage all but the most experienced riders. I hope some of you old hands that have never been come down to see what all the fuss is about ... whatcha waitin' for? :happysq

Bring proper gear, ID (and some $US cash, you'll need it for one gas stop).
Weather permitting (both days have gotta be lookin' rosy, or I'm out).

See less See more
#2 ·
dog44 said:
WHERE TO
Sat: Helens twisties (Randle-Yale, Windy Ridge, Curly Creek, etc.) via Washington backroads, motel in Woodland.
Sun: Retrace steps.

MEETING PLACE AND TIME
tba (it will be EARLY :eek).
Or, you could I-Five-it straight to the motel.

PACE
Quick in the twisties, no hurry on the straights.

EXPERIENCE
It will be solid riding from sunup to sundown on both days. Lunch will be the only rest stop. Tricky roads + fatigue = trouble. So I'll discourage all but the most experienced riders. I hope some of you old hands that have never been come down to see what all the fuss is about ... whatcha waitin' for? :happysq

Bring proper gear, ID (and some $US cash, you'll need it for one gas stop).
Weather permitting (both days have gotta be lookin' rosy, or I'm out).
Wayne, I swear one day I will do this ride with you, but not this weekend.

I have 3 good reasons:

at Mission on Saturday
working on Sunday
and.....errrrrr, oh yeah, no bike yet :banghead

Have fun, you shameless poseur!

#5 ·
Old hands indeed!

We've got non-member Mike (aka "The Old Guy") and his Blackbird coming out to make me look slow :firemad ... but young! :D

So I guess now I gotta get serious about planning a route, I'll endeavour to do that tonite.

#8 ·
Crap, I was gonna do the whole thing on MapPoint this morning but I couldn't get outta bed. Tonite fer sure :rolleyes. But basically ...

GOIN' DOWN
90% DHs and TEs from Bellingham to Randle (via Arlington, Monroe, Enumclaw, Elbe). A relaxed ride, to stay fresh.

THE FUN PART
Randle to Woodland, with excursions on the way to Windy Ridge, top half of the road to Carson, 503 to Chelatchie.

SATURDAY NITE
Collapse in Woodland.

SUNDAY
Retrace steps. We'll end up doing the best roads 4 times each. A relaxed ride back after Randle, we'll be toast by then.

#10 · (Edited)
Sounds like we're in the same boat, who knows what the weather's gonna do. Plan at the moment is to meet at the Campbell River Store 7am sharp (fed, gassed, ready to roll). That may change a bit, but not much. Mike and I are booked into the Econo Lodge, Woodland.

#11 · (Edited)
Just got back from a trip on DH1 (Cascades), DH2 (Windy Ridge), DH4 (White Pass?) and DH7 (to Carson).

Windy Ridge road has some construction delays near the top of the mountain lookout, with waits of up to 20 min., well signed with lots of warning.

The road from the bottom of Windy Ridge to Carson was some of the best twisty riding that I've done, spectacular road (with a bit of rougher sections), little or no traffic, no LEO's and consistent speeds. Posted speeds in most corners is 20-30 mph, but is easily done at posted +20 (legal escape clause here.....). Riding through the forested area with a lot of overhead canopy and constant right-left-right was fabulous. The corners were free of gravel, just be aware of some sloughing of the road on the right side in spots. Of my trip, this road was the most fun, but also very intense and uses all your concentration. You will feel like you've had a workout after you get it done. :thumbup

#12 ·
flyfishinwoman said:
constant right-left-right was fabulous
Yep, it's the only road I've been on that makes me work as if I was on the track. You didn't complain about Curly Creek Road so I can assume the new pavement is down? Thanks for the tip about Windy Ridge, sounds like we won't miss too much.

#13 ·
FYI: the Route Nazi is gettin' nervous!

Mike, it's looking MUCH tighter for time than I thought. With the route I've chosen the sun will set on us (7:30pm) at Cougar with another hour and a half to the motel. This is assuming were already across the border by 7am and there are no delays. And of course there are always delays. We can't risk missing the good stuff due to darkness, so we either gotta leave earlier, or sacrifice Chuckanut + Arlington + ???, or skip lunch, or something.

So ... you pick the meeting time and place, as early as you can stand it, whatever you choose will be the final word. Is there a gas station open early in Blaine? Anyway, your call.

BTW, I am Mr. Punctual!
Dog.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.