Please help!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Please help!

creamsoda

Please help!

I dont know what to do! My good friend it set on buying a GSX-R600, for a first bike. I've tried to talk him out of it, but with no luck. He means alot to me and I really dont want to see him get hurt. What do I do?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Been there, Wrecked that! Array CrashTested's Avatar
    Bike
    - unknown
    Buy him some riding lessons with one of the many great schools we have in Vancouver & area!
    There are old bikers, and there are bold bikers, but there are no old, bold bikers.
    BCSB Member #XXXX

2 Wheeled History:
    '02 F4i (RIP, damn guardrail)

'87 TZR 250 (piston ate itself)
    '99 SV650s (RIP, damn Jeep)
    '79 250XR
    '81 500XT

Insanity Is Insane Array graphix007's Avatar
    Bike
    1999 CBR F4 now being borderlined. Ready in a couple months!!!!
    I started on a 600 with no problems at all. As long as he realizes what he is getting into and takes the proper instruction he will be fine.

Bike
    i think so...
    And make sure he gets some good gear!!!

Bike
    03 600RR
    i started on a 600, and i was just fine. just tell him to take a class. totally worth the money.

Bike
    2006 GSXR 1000
    Im learning on a GSXF 600.
    Doesn't seem like too much power to me, easy to handle.
    I havent really had any problems yet.

Although, im a fairly big guy, dont know how it would be for someone smaller.

Ryan
    “Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence”.

Don't Get Shot In The Back!

return of the Kneedragger Array warp9racing's Avatar
    Bike
    07 zx6r
    i started on a 750cc ninja.
    Its all about trusting yourself and not riding beyond your limits.
    tell him to take his time,be patient, take a course, learn the skills, dont do anything stupid and he'll be ok
    07 Monster Kawaski zx6r -"Dorothy"

Akra-PCIII-CW-CA-KR-Puig-Galfer-Vortex-HID-AMA Monster SS Rep-jumper-pazzo-Bstones-techspec-attack-gpr-drive systems

Berik-Shark-Astars-Sidi-Icon-Teknic-UnderAmour

Bike
    2006 Honda CBR 600RR
    Gauge the rider, not the bike. Does your friend have reckless tendencies? Is his personality such that he would be likely to get himself into trouble with a more powerful bike? Or is he a level minded person who is responsible and mature?

Is he serious about riding or does he just want to have fun and get chicks? Is he willing to invest in proper training and proper gear? If you can answer these questions then you will have a good idea of what to expect.
    .()_()
    (o'.'o) Thanks to Twinbros Racing for my avatar!

Registered User Array savagebovine's Avatar
    Bike
    '06 GSXR 750
    hmmmm,

yes he can learn on it, and figure out how to corner, brake and accelerate smoothly with some time. but most of his first few months will more likely be spent finding out how much fun he can have at the fastest pace he can go. he wont learn as quickly(so they say), and he's definately more likely to get himself in trouble. f*** i could have learned on a litre. i didnt find it hard to learn to ride gently and slowly, but i didnt have enough sense to keep my right hand under control at the appropriate times. that only comes as a factor of age and experience, ie.25yrs old x 2 yrs in the saddle = 50pts. of sensibility on a bike

EDIT: what he said is better

KYjelly
    Gixxer6 would be a great first bike...

...shoosh you.

Ridin hard n dirty Array Mr.Sushi ya ha's Avatar
    Bike
    bunch "o" bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamui
    Gauge the rider, not the bike. Does your friend have reckless tendencies? Is his personality such that he would be likely to get himself into trouble with a more powerful bike? Or is he a level minded person who is responsible and mature?

Is he serious about riding or does he just want to have fun and get chicks? Is he willing to invest in proper training and proper gear? If you can answer these questions then you will have a good idea of what to expect.
    Great advise...listen to this guy and either buy him a safe rider course or see if his parents would like to help out with the cost...in the end it's not so much the bike that gets you in trouble...it's your lack of experience/skills....fortunatly we have some great people willing to teach new riders life saving skills...your next post should be who to take a course with...

Registered User Array cyclestarter's Avatar
    Bike
    Blue Sport Tourer
    let 'em buy it and when it's parked in the driveway, AcCidEntAlYy run over it with the biggest 4x4 you can find.

Remember to say sorry after so you're still friends.
    ~
    I love the sound of an idling bike early in the morning

Bike
    04 Kawi Z1000,
    We all have to walk in our own shoes. I'm the first to suggest that a new rider go smaller and safer but if they insist I try to suggest that they take it easy. Being an airplane nut my favourite comparison is "do they toss a guy into an F18 right off the bat? NOOOOOOO! They start them on a much slower and less powerful trainer so their mind can learn the skills at less than superhuman speeds". The new 600's are the land based equivalent of that F18.

If he insists and you know he's not the type to only play where appropriate then just keep your fingers crossed that the eventual accident only involves healable injuries. That's about all you can do.
    A backyard mechanic without a service manual is just like a hooker without a lamp pole.... they are both in the dark.

DPT Downtown Poser Team Array Bluepill's Avatar
    Bike
    beater piece of shit
    get him some life insurance, that's more direct

Bike
    2006 BMW K1200S
    I started with the K1200S...so far so good. Tell him to get some lessons and gear for sure.