How do I get "power" from my bike

Thread: How do I get "power" from my bike

Bike
    90 CB-1

How do I get "power" from my bike

Question: I'm planning on going on a road trip on my bike, and it'd be really handy to be able to charge my cellphone/Ipod while I ride, since there won't be too many places with outlets on the way.

Is there a way to nab power from my bike as I ride, if so, how do I do it, and will it be easy?

Any help in this regard would be great!

- Joseph

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

contradiction incarnate Array slam's Avatar
    Bike
    TBA
    you can wire-in a "cigarette lighter" outlet in your bike trunk.
    I think I've seen a kit for that on e-bay.
    nobody gets out alive

doug
    install a cigarette adapter across the battery. just don't forget to unplug whatever it is you have charging, or you won't have a battery after.

find a switched line that turns off with the ignition, and you won't have a problem with a dead battery.

either case, put a fuse on the outlet.

Bike
    90 CB-1
    Thanks for the responses guys, yeah I was thinking a cigarette lighter would be the best route.

anywhere local I can buy a kit?

I don't even know the rating on my motorcycle battery, I wouldn't want to kill my electronic devices.

A fuse is a good idea, any idea on the size fuse I should use?

- Joseph

doug
    canadian tire will probably sell kits. your battery will be fine to run an ipod or cel phone charger. don't expect it to run a 400W inverter for a laptop though.

the fuse should be included in a kit. you don't need much more than 2A.

Ridin hard n dirty Array Mr.Sushi ya ha's Avatar
    Bike
    bunch "o" bikes
    if your only gona run a small device....I have in the past used those 1/4" bayonet plugs like a stereo headphone jack but only mono ...the female end is alot smaler than a lighter plug allowing you to mount it in a place out of the weather and they come in stainless so they dont rust like the lighter plugs....they can be found at radio shack cheap...

Bike
    2002 vfr800a 2003 duc ss1000ds
    i've seen cigarette plugs mounted in the top of the steering/head tube. cool.
    when the cap is on you can't even tell it's there.

Registered User Array Commuter Boy's Avatar
    Bike
    Suzuki Bandit
    Start googling for BMW, motorcycle, and "accessory power". You'll find some links to installation advice, hints, and suggestions.

My two cents is that you won't want an ordinary cigarette lighter rig, it won't hold up to exposure to the elements. There are better quality sealed units out there (John Deere?).

Good mounting points would be in the left hand fairing pocket the 250 has, under the seat, and in the tail section. Maybe one in the fairing to wire up something in a tank bag.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    900rr
    a gold plated RCA end works great..
    I use it for my Radar detector and for my kill switch....
    One end is a female... one a male.... The rest of the math I'm sure u can figure out...

DJBXP

Rock bottom here I come Array Dalma's Avatar
    Bike
    2002 Honda VFR800

Bike
    90 CB-1
    Wow thanks for the info guys! The link Dalma posted seems great, however is there anywhere i can get them in BC?

- Joseph

doug
    a trip to canadian tire is all you have to do. $12.99.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/assortmen...=1126819537695

i really should start charging a commission on doing these searches for the lazy

Bike
    04 Kawi Z1000,
    Joseph, unless you are willing to change the plugs on the ends of your car adapter cables or wire up your own you're stuck with something like the ciggy lighter jack. The fact that this sort of stuff appears to be all new to you suggests to me that you should stick to Doug's ciggy lighter plug unless you wish to get more adventerous and learn to solder and other nasty tricks like that.

For my own needs I've settled on plain jane RCA connectors. A female end for the battery supply and male ends for the devices. These work nice up to about 5 to 7 amps. They are also nice and small. While the gold plated ones used by DJBXP are nice the basic silver ones are fine. But they do require some careful wire stripping and soldering along with some heatshrink tubing to do a nice job.
    A backyard mechanic without a service manual is just like a hooker without a lamp pole.... they are both in the dark.