Installing Stator Cover

Thread: Installing Stator Cover

Registered User Array
    Bike
    97 GSXR 750 SRAD

Question Installing Stator Cover

Hey guys, I just want to ask if you guys can give me tips on installing a stator cover. things like drain the oil first, tip it over etc etc etc....

also, Is it necessary to add cement when installing the stator? yes, no, maybe so? no need? yes indeed? Thanks Guys and Girls!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    2002 GSX-R 1000K2
    Quote Originally Posted by peteydapooh
    Hey guys, I just want to ask if you guys can give me tips on installing a stator cover. things like drain the oil first, tip it over etc etc etc....

also, Is it necessary to add cement when installing the stator? yes, no, maybe so? no need? yes indeed? Thanks Guys and Girls!
    be watchful of: the dowels that either come out with the cover or stay in the engine case; and any gearing mechanism that might dislodge itself. I wouldn't worry about draining the oil from the oil plug, although some oil will ofcourse drain out when you remove the cover. use a torque wrench to re-install; no need for any sealant.

Bike
    The Mighty One
    There's minimal oil under there. Put a pan under when you remove it. Use a new gasket if possible. I'd blue locktite the stator and cover if possible. On any work where you're opening up the engine, be clean and organized. It's a pretty simple job.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    97 GSXR 750 SRAD
    Ok so no need to put the bike on its side then... Thanks for all your help guys

Bike
    04 Kawi Z1000,
    Oil isn't that expensive. And if you do this job with the bike on the side stand you're going to find that at least 1/2 of it will come out anyway due to the lean angle.

I say drain the oil to save the mess. If the filter is quite new there's no need to replace it.

Other than that it's a pretty simple job. Be careful with the tools around the stator inside the cover and with handling the stator. A slip of a sharp tool or a bump against a sharp corner could cut a winding wire on the stator and if that happens it's a messy repair.
    A backyard mechanic without a service manual is just like a hooker without a lamp pole.... they are both in the dark.