What do you think of painted bikes

View Poll Results: Do you like painted bikes?

Voters
277. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

142 51.26%
  • No

67 24.19%
  • Don't care

68 24.55%
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you think of painted bikes

streets belong 2 us Array Incantation's Avatar
    Bike
    f4i, 50(was stolen), k7 750

What do you think of painted bikes

I'm curious. I've always been one to customize vehicles i own.. including paint. Before I sent one of my bikes to the shop I had numerous objections:
    1. people pay less for painted bikes (if you want to sell)
    2. people will think you dropped it if you paint it
    3. you won't get as much for your bike if you want to sell because people prefer used bikes that are as close to stock as possible

personally i don't like most stock-looking bikes; too flashy.. i don't like all the brand/model stuff etc on there, and most colours i don't find appealing..

what's your take? do you care if it's been painted? prefer? prefer not? thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Lightly seasoned... Array wolfnadrid's Avatar
    Bike
    Ninja 650R
    I personally think painting a bike is all fine, just for the love of bob don't spray bomb it Custom paintwork is a great thing as bike color selection is often akin to the classic 'you can have any color you like so long as its black' Ford quote, as mfgs only ever have 3 colors max for a given year bike and sometimes their paint selection seems to be chosen while under a bad batch of drugs.

Though then you run into the law of Murphy and the more money you put into making it pretty the more likely it is to be wrecked or stolen.

Bike
    V-Strom DL1000
    It seems all of your quoted objections have to do with resale value. Who cares! You're spending a load of cash to have it painted in the first place so if your only concern was "money in/money out" you're already hosed.

And sure, a certain percentage of people are going to like it less because it's been repainted, but not all. Personally I think most repaints are unsuccessful because most riders' taste is even WORSE than the manufacturers! But you may be an exception.

I remember some guy on this forum trying to sell what to my eye amounted to a butter colored Busa!

So I say paint up! You either have "popular" taste or not.

Learning the hard way. Array skroonk's Avatar
    Bike
    N/A
    Do what you want and make your bike YOURS. You'll be happier in the end and that's worth the slightly higher depreciation.

c.
    WLF
    Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube ~ Hunter S Thompson.
    RideInPeace #48 Shoya Tomizawa (December 10, 1990 – September 5, 2010) ~ First Moto2 Legend.

Fast Pack Slow Guy Array Tattoodles's Avatar
    Bike
    A privileged sufferer settling for an Italian motorcycle
    Custom paint is a great way to express yourself and if it's done right, it can garner a lot of attention from not just fellow riders but from folks who don't normally look at motorcycles. It's a cool feeling riding a motorbike that you know is completely unique looking and is also a statement of your individuality.

But keep in mind that you're doing this for you and you only. If you ever decide to sell, it can hinder the sale, not improve it as your unique statement will not be someone else's.

Want the best resale value? Keep your bike completely stock.

But getting back to the question - most guys seem to custom paint their sport bikes after they crash 'em. So when I see a custom painted sport bike, I assume they've crashed and I'm looking at replacement bodywork.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    it's green but it's not a Kawi
    Question #
    1 - yes
    2 - yes
    3 - yes

I would likely never buy a painted bike for the reasons listed unless it was a steal. I find very few painted bikes look as good as stock HOWEVER there are hundreds of excellent examples of custom painted bikes in magazines and bike shows that are awesome. The problem is it takes a talented individual and usually a pocket full of green to make a bike look really good. I think most paint jobs are done for the reasons you listed. A quality CUSTOM paint job is a different story. Resale value will depend not only on the quality of the paint job but also on a smaller population of potential buyers.

Bike
    50th Anniversary R6
    Quote Originally Posted by Tattoodles
    But getting back to the question - most guys seem to custom paint their sport bikes after they crash 'em. So when I see a custom painted sport bike, I assume they've crashed and I'm looking at replacement bodywork.
    Now that's a pretty strong misconception that paints a huge black mark on the whole custom bike community. If that's the way someones going to be looked at for trying to be unique and original then screw everyone with those one tracked minds. Paint on!!!
    Bart: What's Santa's Little Helper doing to that dog? Looks like he's trying to jump over, but he can't quite make it.

Registered User Array audiophile's Avatar
    Bike
    04 Yamaha R6
    painted bikes are fine, but bikes with no decals and one solid colour look terrible.

with no decals and no two-tone, the side fairings just look like this massive expanse of colour, brutal i think.

Bike
    ZX10r
    I think repainting a bike is not like a car. Its alot harder to make it look good, especially colour choices, patterns etc. I repainted my old 400cc GSXR and it was tougher than I thought. The manufacturers pick really smart lines and striping to accent certain profiles/parts of the bike and to hide others. I personally think 90% of repainted bikes look crappy. My .

Bike
    04 Kawi Z1000,
    If it's a nicely done paint job I think it can actually add a little to the bike's market intrest and sale price. It's the cheapie jobs that seem intended to hide some crash damage that devalue the bike.

Some bikes look good in one color and some are great in multi. My old 9R looked great in it's candy lime green over gold. The gold realy highlighted up in the sun and gave it a truly 3D look and the fairing had enough complementary accent lines and flow to the details that it looked good without any painted or stuck on decoration. But of course that's all in the eye and mind of the beholder.
    A backyard mechanic without a service manual is just like a hooker without a lamp pole.... they are both in the dark.

WMRC Past Prez three time Array NFG's Avatar
    Bike
    Yamaha RD350LC Race Bike (Sold!)/ Yamaha XS1100 /YSR 50 Street and Race / Two 50cc Pocket Bikes / Honda Z50/ Yamaha BWS 50 (Sold!) /Yamaha MX100/ Yamaha YZ250/ Husqvarna 430 / a few projects in parts....
    Do what you like but someone will always slag it. That's life. What do you care? It's yours and you like it so that's all that counts.

What's that old saying? "I might not know art but I know what I like." Now for me it's old school race replica paint jobs all the way. Marlboro Yamaha all the way....
    Stefan Medlicott
    NFG Racing

"I guarantee that it will start, and I guarantee that it
    will blow up. I cannot guarantee the time between those two events."

"....those who go for broke often get there...."

"Buy in Haste, Repent at Leisure."

Rad Rad Robotank! Array irishalcoholic's Avatar
    Bike
    1984 Interceptor 500
    I think it also depends on what bike you're painting... for example, my interceptor was originally red, white & blue.... last winter i spray bombed it black (I had little-to-no money and the stock paint was faded anyways) but just a couple weeks ago i had it proffesionally repainted metallic black w/ metallic clearcoat..... and the bitch looks fuckin sweet... i met a girl who's mom has a mint condition miniceptor, and i have to say, mine looks so much better
    The Ages Of Women
    1. Between the ages of 16 and 18, she is like Africa, virgin and unexplored.
    2. Between the ages of 19 and 35, she is like Asia, hot and exotic.
    3. Between the ages of 36 and 45, she is like America, fully explored, breathtakingly beautiful, and free with her resources.
    4. Between the ages of 46 and 56, she is like Europe, exhausted but still has points of interest.
    5. After 56 she is like Australia, everybody knows it's down there but who gives a damn?

Bike
    McKinley 12-Speed
    If I were shopping for a bike, as soon as I see a custom paint job/re-paint on a sportbike, I am turned off and would not buy it.

For someone else's bike that I'm not buying - go for it, I have no vested interest in it; whatever. If it's a cool paint job; all the better to look at. I just wouldn't buy the bike.

Fast Pack Slow Guy Array Tattoodles's Avatar
    Bike
    A privileged sufferer settling for an Italian motorcycle
    Quote Originally Posted by g_spyder91
    Now that's a pretty strong misconception that paints a huge black mark on the whole custom bike community. If that's the way someones going to be looked at for trying to be unique and original then screw everyone with those one tracked minds. Paint on!!!
    ...hey man, I custom painted and chromed my last bike and it wasn't a crash victim:

I'm just sayin'

Registered User Array sprinter 27's Avatar
    Bike
    Ducati-gasgas-beta-ktm
    i have seen more "awful" painted bikes than nice,but a well done original idea can take mosts breath away.seen some drop dead looking bikes out of europe,but pleeesse no more skulls and iorn crosses ,they been beaten to death.