Surface Scratches

Thread: Surface Scratches

Surface Scratches

Anybody have a magical product they know of that can take out surface scratches on fairings? I tried polishing compound but it makes it worse . I'm guessing factory paint on plastics isn't base coat/clear coat....which might be why the compound didn't work. I did and it doesn't say much...any suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements

Langley, BC
    None right now...
    I used a Meguiar's "Cleaner Wax" on the wife's Ninja, it made the fairings look like new (well, apart from the road rash). I think it has a very fine polish compound in it, but is mostly just a wax. The polish does a little bit, the wax fills the rest of the voids, and when you buff it out it looks smooth and shiny.
    My Picasa Album

Out to pasture in the 'Wack
    04 Kawi Z1000,
    Ditto for Eagle brand Wet One wax. Removes or fills swirl marks from the paint in a wonderful manner. But if it's more than swirl marks then something a little more aggresive may be better.

You're not using a buffing wheel and power drill are you? If so then cut back the speed to just 50 to 100 rpm. Anything much higher and it will tend to burn and soften the paint and all sorts of bad things will happen. The times I've seen autobody guys wet sanding or buffing the pads were so slow you could count the tie string going around.
    A backyard mechanic without a service manual is just like a hooker without a lamp pole.... they are both in the dark.

Flieger sind Sieger! Array
    04 Supersquid 750
    Be careful with ABS fairings, as alot of them will lose paint if polished too vigorously. Meguiar's cleaner\wax is always a safe bet, or you can try a paint cleaner first, then wax. Just remember to do the work by hand for best results.

Registered User Array sprinter 27's Avatar
    if you can feel it with your fingernail,you can't polish it out.that said "brasso" metal polish is a good (fine grit) cut polish that is hard for a newb to polish through with .finish off with a good wax to restore the shine and your good to go

In Your Girlfriend
    05 Gixxer 1000 LE Supermoto: 07 DRZ400SM Dirt: 09 Kawasaki KX450F Monster Ed. 07 Custom Chopper
    After the polishing compound you should follow up with a swirl remover or even good wax.
    Mayor Of "Poserville"

<----- Current Avatart Is *NWS*

Kawi=Junk™, Honda=Boring™, Suzuki=Wannabes™, Yamaha=Posers™, Ducati=Overrated™, Aprilia=Insecure™, BMW=Compensation™, Harley Davidson=Garbage™, Buell=See Harley™