Laptop Disappearing Partitions
Some whys about my ACER AS1694 WLMi. What 'cha think?
Why did it come formatted with FAT 32 instead of NTFS?
Thanks everyone for the explanation about Pqservice. Here is another http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=11584
Why don’t the ACER OEM recovery disks that came with the laptop give you C, D & PQservice?
Why don’t the ACER recovery disks that I was prompted to burn the first time I turned on the laptop right out of the box give you C, D & PQservice?
Can you explain this scenario?
1) When I first looked at the HD configuration on my new ACER 1694 it had three partitions all FAT32. These were C, D & PQservice. I did not want FAT32 for XP and I did not want three partitions, so I set about changing to NTFS and reducing the number of partitions.
2) I used Partition Magic 7.0 to merge all three partitions and change to NTFS, but when the system rebooted it failed to restart due to corrupted boot files. I did a Goggle search and the Eldergeek has experienced this with Partition Magic http://www.theeldergeek.com/hard_drives_05.htm
4) I then used the ACER OEM recovery disks that came with the laptop. This disc set gave me a couple of small Windows XP error prompts at the end of the install, but otherwise seemed to work. But when I looked at the partitions there was now only C & D and no PQservice. Why?
5) I then used the ACER recovery disks that I was prompted to burn the first time I started the laptop right out of the box. It worked fine with no error prompts. When I looked at the partition configuration this time, there was still only C & D and no PQservice. Why?
6) Again I used the four ACER recovery disks that I was prompted to burn the first time I started the laptop right out of the box. Again it worked successfully with no error prompts but now when I looked at the partition configuration there was only C. There was no D or PQservice. Why?
7) I then used Partition Magic 8.0. This successfully changed the HD from FAT 32 to NTFS.
P.S. I always turned off all unneeded applications like anti-virus, automatic updates and system restore and defragmented the HD before and after.
all the why don't acer questions can be answered by acer. email or call their tech support.
most people here wouldn't buy an acer anything.
I have, but I thought there might be a bored super-brain at this end of the planet with a similar ACER.