Pay pal and ebay

Thread: Pay pal and ebay

Registered User Array Good old Pete's Avatar
    2010 Z1000

Pay pal and ebay

I'm getting familar with ebay and paypal and something caught my eye reciently.
    Its a warning regarding paypal and how some ppl have lost thier money, pls realize that I understand some of the ppl are crooks and that is why thier accounts may have been suspended indeffiantly.

What i was wondering is why ppl would not simply use credit cards per payment compared to transfering money into a paypal account.

I was also wondering how frequent has paypal been known to hold ebay users money for appearently unlimited lengths of time?

pls discuss
    When speeding run from the cops, it's a lesser infraction.

paypal allows sellers to have their customers use a credit card without having to get a merchant account. ebay doesn't provide this function directly, they are merely the auctioneer. seller makes the payment requirements, buyer abides by them. ebay just enforces the wishes.. so to speak.

big hassle for a seller to get a merchant account just to accept credit cards. paypal does the dirty work for you. unfortunately, paypal is not a bank, so they try to get away with things out of the ordinary.

there are lots of sites on the net pertaining to how evil paypal is. the most notable is

since ebay purchased paypal, they get the best and worst of dealing with the users

rain? whats that! Array REVELATIONS's Avatar
    SV 1000s
    Dont use a bank if at all possible with paypal.
    Everytime you make a purchase on eBay paypal will DEFAULT to your bank for payment information. You have to tell paypal each and everytime to use a CREDIT card for real purchase protection.
    If you are a seller, set up a SEPERATE bank account (not simply 'savings' instead of chequing) at your local bank for this in case somehow your bank info gets hacked (unlikely event).

Paypal is getting too big for its own good. In time there will be more choices (Bidpay etc.) but its a teetery monopoly at best right now.

Registered User Array Good old Pete's Avatar
    2010 Z1000
    Thanks for the advice.
    When speeding run from the cops, it's a lesser infraction.

pete i have been doin both for almost 4yrs now,no problems.i use my cc as my payment choice and accept credit cards/echecks etc...then deposit into my account.easy.takes around 3-4 days to get the money transfered.

paypal has refunded me on 1 fraud occasion.have any questions just ask!

1981 Honda CB650 on the east coast :(
    i've used pp on lots of stuff as a buyer, but then when i sell shit, it goes in my account and i just buy more stuff with it!@!! (instead of 'cashing out')

not a scam per se...

I wish.
    I've also used paypal for ages with no problems, but I have heard the odd horror story. I've had no problems using it with BCSB for payments of stuff for the site, and for t-shirt sales, etc.
    BCSB- Administrator

Registered User Array
    I sell stuff worldwide and you have to be careful who you accept payment from. Charge backs could be a bitch. I am still not sure about accepting paypal because you are not able to verfiy there billing address for the credit card used. Anytime I am unable to verfiy the card billing address I will only accept wire transfer or they must wait 4-6 weeks before I will ship the product.

Yellow Power Ranger Array Furious Fiero's Avatar
    The Autobahns
    '01 Yellow ZX-6R (sold)
    Ive been using ebay and paypal for about 5 years now. Have had minimal problems. I have heard a lot of bad stories, but you just have to be smart about what you do. When you sell things on ebay...always ship express/registered, that way you have a tracking #. People can file a paypal fraud case against you if you didnt send it tracked, and therefore there is no record it been sent. This way, paypal can refund the money from your account, back to the buyer. I have been burned like this before. I am a lot more careful now.

builder of bikes Array cosworth's Avatar
    The Island
    I recently sold my digital camera. The guy who bought it had no idea where he was and couldn't find a bank machine.

He logged into interac pay from my laptop and sent the money to me for $1.50 as opposed to the 4% paypal charges for Canadians. Unless you are sending to an American, use interac.

Paypal works great otherwise.

First of all - if you are buying always use a CC to pay ... if for some reason PP sides with the buyer you can always go back to your CC company ... check to see what their time limitations are.

PP will always try to stretch out the procedure so you can't kick in your CC company. Give them an x day window before you file with your CC company.

I've had 1 chargeback in about 12K transactions with PP. FedEx f*cked up and never delivered. The amount was on hold for about 2 weeks on my account ... it was not frozen or anything else. I had my money from FedEx in that 2 weeks time. Big deal.

In all the time I have been selling on eBay (before there was an eBay Canada and before PayPal was available to CDN's) I have lost about $200 US to 2 customers in the UK. They say they never got the goods ... I don't care if they did or not ... I can afford a couple of bucks a month to ignore it.

I had 1 cheque that bounced ... guy paid my bank fees and the total amount pronto ... no big deal.

Having said all that I got an email a couple of days ago from from a guy that got ripped off buying a bike from a guy that bought some stuff from me. From what I can see he didn't use a CC or PP.

To lighten up a bit:

The words are:

A used ... pink bathrobe
    A rare ... mint snowglobe
    A Smurf ... TV tray
    I bought on eBay

My house ... is filled with this crap
    Shows up in bubble wrap
    Most every day
    What I bought on eBay

Tell me why (I need another pet rock)
    Tell me why (I got that Alf alarm clock)
    Tell me why (I bid on Shatner's old toupee)
    They had it on eBay

I'll buy ... your knick-knack
    Just check ... my feedback
    "A++!" they all say
    They love me on eBay

Gonna buy (a slightly-damaged golf bag)
    Gonna buy (some Beanie Babies, new with tag)
    (From some guy) I've never met in Norway
    Found him on eBay

I am the type who is liable to snipe you
    With two seconds left to go, whoa
    Got Paypal or Visa, what ever'll please
    As long as I've got the dough

I'll buy ... your tchotchkes
    Sell me ... your watch, please
    I'll buy (I'll buy, I'll buy, I'll buy ...)
    I'm highest bidder now

(Junk keeps arriving in the mail)
    (From that worldwide garage sale) (Dukes Of Hazzard ashtray)
    (Hey! A Dukes Of Hazzard ashtray)
    Oh yeah ... (I bought it on eBay)

Wanna buy (a PacMan Fever lunchbox)
    Wanna buy (a case off vintage tube socks)
    Wanna buy (a Kleenex used by Dr. Dre, Dr. Dre)
    (Found it on eBay)

Wanna buy (that Farrah Fawcett poster)
    (Pez dispensers and a toaster)
    (Don't know why ... the kind of stuff you'd throw away)
    (I'll buy on eBay)

What I bought on eBay-y-y-y-y-y-y-y-y-y