question for propane powered vehicle owners:

Thread: question for propane powered vehicle owners:

Registered User Array Jester666's Avatar
    Bike
    1966 Honda Dream305 1976 Honda CB550

question for propane powered vehicle owners:

I've heard that there are engine oils specifically designed for LNG,CNG,LPG engines.
    Does anybody have any experience with this?
    What oil do YOU use in your propane car?

Bike
    Street:SV1000S Race:Ninja 250R, CBR600 F3, DRZ125
    I work for an oil refinery. I've never heard of or made any oil that is specifically designed for a natural gas or propane engine. You've got me thinking tho, so I'll see If I can't pass this along to our lab tomorrow and see what they have to say
    Some people are like Slinkies ...
    Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TwinBrosRacing <-click
    WMRC & PCMRC #19
    WMRC President

Bike
    thanks dude!
    this is what I found:
    http://www.exxon.com/USA-English/Lub...XGEO15W-40.asp

but I think that's for bigger vehicles, bigger motors.
    Perhaps those diesel to LNG conversions or something...
    Mine is just a V6 chevy..

doug
    can't see there being a special oil, as most natural gas style engines are conversions of existing gasoline powered mills.

shell rotella conventional single grade oil is recommended for lp engines.

there was something about needing a low ash oil so there would be less maintenance, but that was a development for a non mobile engine, such as a generator.

Bike
    Street:SV1000S Race:Ninja 250R, CBR600 F3, DRZ125
    The labs guys are gone right now but I was digging through our tech sheets. I used to make an actual natural gas oil but it was a straight 40w, i'm sure it was designed strictly for a industrial application.
    I looked over your link it looks pretty much like regular up15w40. I don't see any difference between that oil and regular 15w40, I didn't see the api grade listed anywhere so I can't actually tell you. The newest grade of UP15w40 is CI-4/SL. I don't really see any reason why you would need a specific oil for a regular vehicle engine that is running ng/propane.. I'm pretty sure that you could simply run regular up15w40 which is basically a diesel engine oil. Again I'll see if I can't get more specifics from the lab..
    Some people are like Slinkies ...
    Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TwinBrosRacing <-click
    WMRC & PCMRC #19
    WMRC President

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo
    The labs guys are gone right now but I was digging through our tech sheets. I used to make an actual natural gas oil but it was a straight 40w, i'm sure it was designed strictly for a industrial application.
    I looked over your link it looks pretty much like regular up15w40. I don't see any difference between that oil and regular 15w40, I didn't see the api grade listed anywhere so I can't actually tell you. The newest grade of UP15w40 is CI-4/SL. I don't really see any reason why you would need a specific oil for a regular vehicle engine that is running ng/propane.. I'm pretty sure that you could simply run regular up15w40 which is basically a diesel engine oil. Again I'll see if I can't get more specifics from the lab..

well that's just it...
    I have a friend at work who run his LNG/Gasoline van from new on regular 10-30 for 700 000 kms with no problems at all on engine or tranny.But he changed it at 5000kms ON THE DOT(he's that way with his cars).

I've read that LNG and LPG give run at higher temperature, so it's better for them to run different oil, hence my question..
    I run Quaker State full-synthetic in all my cars anyways, so I guess if push comes to shove I'll just use that.

doug
    the recommendations i found were to pay very close attention to viscosity and temerature.

http://www.shell-lubricants.com/prod...RotellaTSG.pdf

seems single grade oils do the trick.

questions: what does the car/conversion manual say? what car is it? factory conversion option?

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by doug
    the recommendations i found were to pay very close attention to viscosity and temerature.

http://www.shell-lubricants.com/prod...RotellaTSG.pdf

seems single grade oils do the trick.

questions: what does the car/conversion manual say? what car is it? factory conversion option?
    1992 chevy G10 V6
    Converted by Jimmy Pattison dealer propably in first couple years of existence...

Unless I see some good evidence I shouldn't, I think I'll just run my tested and trusted 10w30 Penzoil full-synthetic advanced formula on it.
    after all, it's still basically a gasoline engine.
    I'm not sure if single grade would be a good idea, I'd think they're for diesel engines,but perhaps.Someone more knowledgeable and experienced than me needs to chime in here.

builder of bikes Array cosworth's Avatar
    Bike
    bah
    Use the oil rated for the motor, not the fuel system.

LP runs so much cleaner and fuel blow by contaminants are so greatly reduced that changing oil types is a waste of time, money and effort. Changing oil on an LP engine every 5000kms is wasting the above as well. You'd probably get 10,000kms from a change with minor long chain polymer loss.

Oil lubricates the engine. Use what the engine specs like you've chosen.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by cosworth
    Use the oil rated for the motor, not the fuel system.

LP runs so much cleaner and fuel blow by contaminants are so greatly reduced that changing oil types is a waste of time, money and effort. Changing oil on an LP engine every 5000kms is wasting the above as well. You'd probably get 10,000kms from a change with minor long chain polymer loss.

Oil lubricates the engine. Use what the engine specs like you've chosen.

true but with changing the fuel type, the heat exchange characteristics change as well, (or so I imagined), hence my question.
    As for the oil changes, 1.it's a business expence, 2.I'd rather change it too often than not often enough
    I think You're right though. General concensus seems to be that oil TYPE is not nearly as important as general maintenance habits to make your vehicle run well for a long time.