Ducking out for a quick fag...

Thread: Ducking out for a quick fag...

Ducking out for a quick fag...,10117,17320819-2,00.html

Ducking out for a fag at 39,000ft
    November 22, 2005

AAP A WOMAN passenger tried to open the emergency door of a plane at 39,000ft so she could step outside for a cigarette.

Fellow passengers on the Cathay Pacific flight from Hong Kong to Brisbane were alarmed to see French tourist Sadrine Helene Sellies, 34, get up from her seat, holding a cigarette and a lighter, and grab the emergency door handle, Brisbane Magistrates Court was told yesterday.
    Commonwealth prosecutor Anthony Gett said passengers were convinced she was trying to open the door.

Sellies, an aged care nurse who was flying to Brisbane with her husband for a three-week holiday in Australia when the incident happened about 8.15am on Friday, pleaded guilty to a charge of endangering an aircraft.

Mr Gett told the court the offence carried a maximum penalty of seven years' jail.

But magistrate Gordon Dean released Sellies on a $1000, 12-month good behaviour bond after her bizarre behaviour was explained by defence counsel Helen Shilton.

Sellies was apparently sleepwalking when she tried to open the door as the plane flew over north Queensland, Ms Shilton said.
    She said Sellies was on her first trip outside France and was terrified of flying.

Before leaving for the trip, she had obtained prescriptions for sedatives and sleeping pills.

During the Hong Kong-Brisbane leg of the flight, she did not take any sedatives.

But she drank several glasses of whisky and took several sleeping pills, not realising their effect "would be compounded by alcohol".

The court heard that at 6am, more than two hours before she tried to open the door, Sellies ordered a glass of whisky but the request was refused by a cabin attendant who believed she was drunk.

"She has absolutely no recollection of this event," Ms Shilton said. "She has a history of sleepwalking.

"It may well be that in the state she was in, she was looking for somewhere to have a cigarette, possibly not realising she was still in an aircraft."

Mr Gett said the prosecution conceded that it would have been impossible to open the door while the plane was in flight.

Ms Shilton said Sellies was extremely remorseful.

She said the incident would have been regarded less seriously a few years ago, before the world became gripped by fears of terrorism.

"Had it not been for the events of September 11, perhaps the courts may not have seen this as such a terrifying offence," she said.

dirt pig
    ahh..pills 'n' booze
    "Shoot to thrill play to kill
    Too many women too many pills"

Becoming Insane Array CorvetteBoy's Avatar
    On the run...
    Nagasaki XXRR
    You may want to change the title as I thought this thread was about you coming out.

Not that there's anything wrong with that....

Registered User Array Krazy_j604's Avatar
    turbocharged scooter
    well i'm guessing this would be a B747 since most of cathay pacific fleet is made up of 747. It would be very difficult to open the doors since the doors are the plug type you would have to be really strong to open it up at 39000ft

Portstewart Northern Ireland.
    2000 Honda RC51, 2010 Husaberg 450FE 2015 Kayo MiniGP
    i'm with jimmy. i thought it might be someone we knew.

Náisiúnaithe na hÉireann.

'07 BMW K1200R
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy_j604
    It would be very difficult to open the doors
    Difficult? I was hoping it would be impossible. Isn't there some kind of lock mechanism when in flight? I doubt they'd take the chance on somebody actually managing to open it if they took the trouble.
    What was it all about?

In Your Girlfriend
    05 Gixxer 1000 LE Supermoto: 07 DRZ400SM Dirt: 09 Kawasaki KX450F Monster Ed. 07 Custom Chopper
    When i started reading this and i saw it was a flight from Hong Kong I thought oh noes. Then I read it was a french lady and then I thought doesn't surprise me.
    Mayor Of "Poserville"

<----- Current Avatart Is *NWS*

Kawi=Junk™, Honda=Boring™, Suzuki=Wannabes™, Yamaha=Posers™, Ducati=Overrated™, Aprilia=Insecure™, BMW=Compensation™, Harley Davidson=Garbage™, Buell=See Harley™

Doesn't register Array Mutate Now!'s Avatar
    "Focus on the journey, not the destination. Joy is found not in finishing an activity but in doing it.”
    It runs...
    The doors all have special rotating bolts that latch into place to prevent it from 'popping' out of the fuselage under pressure. At 39,000 feet, the cabin of the aircraft is pressurized so you don't have to use oxygen masks to breathe. I don't remember what the pressure differential is, but suffice to say, there is enough force created so that it is pretty much impossible to manually force a door open at altitude.

This post is simply the opinion of the poster and is not to be construed as instructions or advice. Your mileage may vary.
    I rode Deal's Gap / The Dragon in September 2007 and I visited Yellowstone in August 2010. Where have you been?

2005 CBR 600RR
    Holy lame excuses Batman !!!!

Can't they just call it for what it is :$1000 fine for the attempted opening
    $10000 for being the stupidest human ever

. Array
    ive said it before and ill say it again, The French.... *headshake*

Registered User Array Jester666's Avatar
    1966 Honda Dream305 1976 Honda CB550
    I don't know about this lady, maby she was lying, I doubt it.. Good on her to living up to her mistake, pleading guilty and all.
    It's ridiculous that shit like this gets a full-out court case and press coverage nowadays lol

It got me to thinking though..See, what I do for 8hr+ flights, is I pop a few motion sickness pills and have me 2 or 3 of those little bottles of wine they give with dinner..
    Effect: I sleep for 6 to 7 hours of the flight.

But this lady's experience got me thinkin' maby it's not such a hot idea...

Quote Originally Posted by CorvetteBoy
    You may want to change the title as I thought this thread was about you coming out.

Not that there's anything wrong with that....
    Sorry to break your heart.

Mission, BC
    2004 R1, 2005 DL1000 V-Strom
    Quote Originally Posted by KYjelly
    Sorry to break your heart.

Just what I was thinking.
    Reformatted to fit your screen.