RIP Richard Burns

Thread: RIP Richard Burns

K5 GSX-R600

RIP Richard Burns

For anyone following WRC, it was a sad day....

Richard Burns: 1971-2005

Richard Burns - PeugeotFormer world champion Richard Burns, the only Englishman to have lifted rallying's top crown, has died as a result of the brain tumour that forced him out of the sport at the end of 2003. The 2001 title winner won 10 rallies in a 13-year World Rally Championship career that included stints with Mitsubishi, Peugeot and Subaru.

"From the outset Richard knew the odds were heavily against him, yet he fought his illness with bravery and good humour," said a statement from Burns' family. "Having undergone both chemotherapy and radiotherapy he was able to leave hospital in summer 2004. For a while his health showed signs of improvement, but after six months it once again began to decline.

"Determined not to give up, he opted for surgery earlier this year. This alleviated some of the symptoms of his illness and enabled him to remain active. At Castle Combe in August he attended a parade of the rally cars that he drove throughout his career and was touched by the warmth of the reception he received. However there was to be no miracle and in recent days he lapsed into a coma."

Burns' family are planning a private funeral, although details of a memorial service will be released at a later date. Cards or messages can be sent to either Ecurie Albion, Wheelwright's Cottage, Shilton, Burford, OX18 4AA or

Burns was one of the first of the modern breed of rally drivers - more thoughtful and analytical in his approach than 'flat-out sideways', but always able to put in the stage times and pip his rivals when it mattered. He was also part of the new wave of British talent with long-time friend and rival Colin McRae. Both drivers gained their reputation during stints with Subaru, and Burns became particularly synonymous with the Japanese team and its deep blue colour scheme.

Burns' reputation as one of rallying's rising stars first came to light in 1990 when he won the British Peugeot 205 GTi one-make series. He made his WRC debut at the end of the year in his home event, the RAC Rally, finishing 28th. Burns then joined Subaru's young gun squad in 1993, winning the British title in a Legacy RS and finishing seventh overall in that year's RAC Rally.

After several WRC outings with Subaru, Burns moved to Mitsubishi in 1996, finishing second in the 1997 Safari Rally. He went on to score his first WRC win in the same event in 1998 as part of a full season partnering world champion Tommi Makinen. Burns then returned to Subaru, where he really began to come of age as he narrowly lost out to Makinen for the 1999 title and Peugeot's Marcus Gronholm for the 2000 championship. In 2001 he finally achieved his goal of winning the WRC's drivers' crown in a closely-fought battle with Gronholm that culminated with Burns taking his third win in a row on his home event, the Rally of Great Britain.

A contentious off-season move to Peugeot to partner Gronholm set up the intriguing possibility of a head-to-head between the WRC's established stars. Although Burns failed to get to grips with the 206 WRC in his first season with the French team, he was one of the most consistent finishers in 2003 and was in the thick of a four-way battle going into the season-finale - his last event with Peugeot before a planned return to Subaru for 2004. Sadly, Burns was forced out of the event with an illness that was later diagnosed with an astrocytoma - a virulent brain tumour - that meant an enforced departure from the sport as he underwent treatment.

Everyone at extends their deepest condolences to Richard's friends and family.
    • He who dares not offend, cannot be honest.
    • The whole religious complexion of the modern world is due to the absence from Jerusalem of a lunatic asylum.

A couple of Suzukis

That sucks.

Maybe Mediocre
    BCSB - I hate you

closer than you think
    NONE--911 C2

we dont have a say when and how we leave the life we love... so live it as it was to end tomorrow
    R.I.P. Dan and Cody

Forever in my mind, forever in my thoughts, forever in my heart

The new kid Array Digit Treesloth's Avatar
    New West
    Driving Miss Daisy
    Holy cow! That sucks. I always thought he'd make a full recover, and return to WRC in 2006 and win in spectacular fashion against Loeb. As a native Brit, I secretly enjoyed all of his successes on the WRC tour, whilst cheering on scotsman Colin McRae.

Digital Treesloth

Doc Venture to Mike Soriyama: Oh C'mon! You're gonna kill me because I had fake sex on graph paper with a girl who barely spoke to you in real life?!

California dreamin' Array KatRider's Avatar
    Vancouver Island
    2007 Triumph Tiger 1050
    I was saddened to hear that he passed away. I too was hpoing that he'd make a return to the WRC.

RIP, RB.
    Work sucks -- let's go riding!

2002 SV650S Ghost
    I was also looking for a miracle for him. It's sad to see him pass, but I was expecting it. This is a case of, "no news was good news". I'm sure his spirit lives on in the young blood coming from Britain.

It has been known for quite some time, that Richard has been seriously ill, and our thoughts have often been with him lately. When we now have received the message, that he’s no longer with us, we’re all terribly sad. It feels both unfear and wrong when somebody dies so young. Richard Burns was a great and “dangerous” competitor, because he was a very good driver, and after having been in the same team, he was also a good friend. Even if he’s been away from the WRC for some time, the lack of him will still be felt. Our thoughts goes out to his nearest family and friends in this sad time.
    -Petter Solberg
    Former world champion Colin McRae has led the wave of tributes to 2001 title winner Richard Burns, who died at the weekend as a result of the brain tumour that forced him out of the sport at the end of 2003. The pair were fierce rivals on the stages, but good friends of it, and McRae said that Burns would be sorely missed.

1995 champion McRae has remained closely in touch with Burns during his two-year battle with his illness, and paid tribute to the 34-year-old, who became the first Englishman to life the World Rally Championship drivers' title. "Richard was a friend and at the same time a very fierce rival," McRae said. "We had many great battles together, notably the 2001 Wales Rally GB when he took the title.

"I have seen Richard on a number of occasions during the past two years and the greatest battle he has put up was against his illness. Richard was a true character in the world of rallying and will be sadly missed as a competitor and as a friend to many people. My thoughts at the moment are with Richard, Zoe, his family and all the close friends that have supported him during the last two years."

Subaru team boss David Lapworth had a close working relationship with Burns during his two stints with the Japanese outfit, and said the 10-times rally winner was a valued part of the team. "Richard was one of the key people who brought the Subaru World Rally Team to what it is today and a large part of our success comes from his input," Lapworth said.

"His wins in the British championship in 1993 and the world championship in 2001 brought Subaru to the pinnacle of rallying and his loss leaves a huge gap. Richard will be sorely missed by all at the Subaru World Rally Team, the WRC community and rallying fans across the world."
    On a side note, it's been a sad year in the WRC. First the tragic loss of Michael "Beef" Park, and now the news that Richard Burns lost his battle with cancer, it's been a wierd year...

Registered User Array mikeelliot's Avatar
    Fraser Valley
    RIP driver!