Vancouver to Fairbanks AK

Thread: Vancouver to Fairbanks AK

Rock bottom here I come Array Dalma's Avatar
    Bike
    2002 Honda VFR800

Vancouver to Fairbanks AK

Has anyone riden from Vancouver to Fairbanks? What are the roads like in the summer? Are their fuel stops every 300 kms?

My buddy and I are tossing around the idea of this trip in 06.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

As Cool as I dare to be Array Kithelbec's Avatar
    Bike
    1980 CX 500
    Check out www.advrider.com They have a lot of folks who make the big rides up north and back.

Try either the Ride reports section, http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2

or the Regional section, Great White North, http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30

Good Luck, and have a great time.

Bike
    Honda. Still. Again.
    Do it.
    Buy fuel when you can, where you can.
    From Vancouver to P.G, there is no trouble finding fuel. North of there (depending on what route you take) you may have to be a little more careful. I'm not saying you're going to run out between service stations, just be aware of the distances between towns/fuel stops. I've been north on 3 occasions, and never worry about fuel during daylight hours. (ignoring for a moment, my 11.28 US gallon capacity)
    The roads are great, except when they use the short season for repairs/refinishing. You may run across 10km, 20km or even longer stretches of gravel, in preparation for resurfacing. I've never seen "bad gravel," up there. I have seen motorcyclists travelling at 120 kph on the good gravel, with no ill affects, so it can be traversed. (he says, looking at the ground, scuffing the dirt in front of his riding boot) If stopped by a flag person, wind your way up to the front of the line, 4 ways flashing, and slowly. No sense pissing off the motorists/RV'ers.
    If you can traverse some of the nastier back alley asphalt in Vancouver, you can ride up north.
    I recall with fondness, one year, I was following a truck driver, in a Super B, who was giving me a heck of a driving lesson, around Kluane Lake. We chatted on the CB. He was so adept at keeping all his wheels in the right spots, he had to hail me over the radio, and *let* me pass him.
    I can't say the tourists were that skilled or courteous in their driving.

Registered User Array Commuter Boy's Avatar
    Bike
    Suzuki Bandit
    Quote Originally Posted by michael
    I can't say the tourists were that skilled or courteous in their driving.
    The flip side is, of course, that you don't want to be the person holding up the traffic either. The truckers are NOT amused with someone pussy footing their way along the gravel.

If you can't run with the big dogs for any reason, my best advice is to sit back, and wait for the dust to settle before moving forwards.

Vmax racer
    I went last year and it was awesome! Such a good trip, besides from being in Smoke from Whitehorse to Anchorage. The roads aren't too bad, but they do have some squirly spots. I went up the Casear Conecctor so I was on and off gravel on that strech. Other than that the roads were nice. I would highly recommend that trip to anyone. As for gas, don't worry about it, Like was said earlier Daytime travel= gas, Nighttime=sleeping at gas station. It wouldn't hurt to take a small Jerry can if you can fit it on.
    Cheers and enjoy the ride, it's a long way up there and you are closer to Russia than Vancouver when you get there.

Registered User Array Commuter Boy's Avatar
    Bike
    Suzuki Bandit
    You took the VMax?

docholiday
    if you're headin up there for sure. stop into fairbanks motorsports. a good mate of mine works there. he'll help ya out with any bike issues you suffered along the trip.