Can anyone here convert a Pal format DV to NTSC?

Thread: Can anyone here convert a Pal format DV to NTSC?

User And Abuser Array alternateimpact's Avatar
    Bike
    2004 CBR 600 F4i

Can anyone here convert a Pal format DV to NTSC?

I have put this off too long. My brother inlaw filmed our wedding on his camcorder which is from Japan and records in Pal format. I wann convert it to NTSC so I can load it on to my hard drive, and edit it with adobe premeir.

doug
    japan's standard is ntsc.

what tape format is it?

Bike
    2004 CBR 600 F4i
    its a DV. it was recorded in Pal

Bike
    VTR1000
    Check out www.videohelp.com

It will have everything you need there.

. Array
    Bike
    bike
    whats the diff between ntsc and pal, besides the fact theyre used in different regions? why cant it all just be made a standard format?

Bike
    2002 SV650S Ghost
    First off, answer to the question, here is an alternative to videohelp.com. http://www.afterdawn.com/
    If www.videohelp.com seems cryptic, this may be better... or worse... search their guides and forums for help. Many people have asked the question before and there are tons of answers.

Regarding the diff, try google Too lazy as always?

The simple is this:

PAL = more lines on the screen (higher resolution)
    NTSC = more frames per second (less flicker)

There are two TV video standards, PAL (Phase Alternating Line) and NTSC (National Television System Committee). NTSC is used mainly in North America, Japan, Mexico and Canada, and PAL is used almost everywhere else in the world including Australia and NZ. NTSC has a resolution of 352 x 240, and PAL has a video resolution of 352 X 288. PAL generates 25 full frames per second with 635 lines per frame while NTSC produces 30 frames a second with 525 scan lines per frame. Due to screen interlacing (in which all the odd lines and then all the even lines of the frame are presented), the vertical scan frequencies for PAL are 50Hz (50 scans per second) and 60Hz for NTSC. This basically means that the NTSC system sacrifices video clarity to minimize flicker, while PAL accepts more flicker to gain an improvement in clarity.

A PAL signal can not be replayed on an NTSC TV or Video, and conversely an NTSC signal can not be replayed on a PAL TV or Video. However many current TV’s and Video Players are both PAL and NTSC compatible. If you try to play back a video recorded on a non compatible system it may play back in B&W or not at all.

http://www.everythingav.com.au/tip.asp?id=9

Registered User Array Jester666's Avatar
    Bike
    1966 Honda Dream305 1976 Honda CB550
    Quote Originally Posted by dothedr3w
    whats the diff between ntsc and pal, besides the fact theyre used in different regions? why cant it all just be made a standard format?
    well, I think it's pretty much just a way of keeping products local, making it more difficult to import/export, supporting the local economy .
    just like different power plugs in different countries and so on..
    I can't see any other reason for it.

The Comedy is in the Back Array Saturnin's Avatar
    Bike
    bro, do you even ride in a straight line? #1 asshole
    dude...dont do it on your own, there are ton of little shops that can do it for 8bux an hr or somthing ridiculous. by the time u figure it out and its shitty results if u do it on the pc u could have spent that time on somthing productive.
    Throttle Trauma 3 - Stunt riding documentary - digital download - visit Asphaltjunkiez.com
    The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.

Bike
    vtr1000
    Quote Originally Posted by Saturnin
    dude...dont do it on your own, there are ton of little shops that can do it for 8bux an hr or somthing ridiculous. by the time u figure it out and its shitty results if u do it on the pc u could have spent that time on somthing productive.
    Yeah thats right... my old workplace used to do that. If you live in Van, try: AS Video 3905 Fraser Street. 604-876-8320

Tell him "big ed" sent you
    Chuck Norris can win a game of Connect Four in only three moves.

Bike
    2004 CBR 600 F4i
    both sites gave useful info thankss...Sat is right though, I could do it myself, with a possible crappy end result. I decided to take "BIG ED'S" advice, and will get his former workplace to convert it. Its cheaper than I though.

Bike
    tehre is a reason why the call him "big ed".... for some reason he dropped the "THE" in front of the "BIG ED"..makes me wonder
    Throttle Trauma 3 - Stunt riding documentary - digital download - visit Asphaltjunkiez.com

G4Rider
    On a similar topic, I've been trying to convert PAL 8 mm mini tape of an 16 year-old recording from Canon video camera to something I can view now (VCD or DVD or even mpg/wmv). Those tapes contain recordings of the first 2-3 years of my kids, and I'd hate to lose it.

Anybody know of such a place that can convert them? I asked London Drugs and some photo stores in MR but none of them know.

Thanks

Bike
    yz250f
    u can all try that lee place..in surrey... lee productions or somthing.. he might be able..i know lots of east indian stores do conversions in abby....call round.... if u can get it transfered from 8mm to mini dv ..i can throw it on a dvd for ya...but i'm also sure a place that can transfer can also do dvd so.

Bike
    go itno the back of your yellowpages and u'll find plenty of places that do video transfers..lees will be one of em i'm sure