To date BCCOM has not received word from the City of Vancouver on our proposal regarding motorcycle parking, so at the December 7th BCCOM meeting many of the people who attended wrote letters to Mayor & Council and so far we have sent 27 letters.
If you live, work or spend your hard-earned dollars in the City of Vancouver, we encourage you to write a letter to the new Mayor & Council making them aware that motorcycle parking in Vancouver is something that you need and ask them for an update on the status of BCCOM's proposal. Your voice can make a difference so please put it to good use! If you want to see this happen you have a responsiblity to let them know.
HAND WRITTEN LETTERS ARE 50 TIMES MORE EFFECTIVE THAN AN EMAIL. PLEASE TAKE THE TIME OUT OF YOUR DAY TO REALLY MAKE A DIFFERENCE.
Your letter can be mailed to:
City of Vancouver
Attn: Mayor & Council
453 West 12th Ave
Vancouver BC V5Y 1V4
Here are some important points that you may wish to include in your letter:
- The city of Toronto is has passed a motion to allow free motorcycle parking for motorcyclists (see our website at www.bccom-bc.com for more details)
- many forward thinking cities across the world recognize motorcycles as a viable alternative and encourage their use by allowing motorcycles to park for free
- motorcycles take up less space and help reduce congestion/gridlock
- motorcycles use less fuel (motorcycles, as defined in the Ontario Highway Traffic Act, use up to 90 percent less gasoline than a regular car or truck)
- motorcycle operators currently experience significant parking problems because other motorists often steal their "pay and display" parking receipts and the theft of their receipt often results in the rider receiving a parking ticket
- motorcycles have lower greenhouse gas emissions than cars, making them more environmentally friendly
- motorcycles create less wear and tear on our roads
- if you live in Vancouver feel free to add the fact that you are a voter
Make sure to include your contact address so that they can reply to you.
One of our BCCOM members has set up an on-line petition regarding the Vancouver parking situation. You can check it out at: http://www.ipetitions.com/campaigns/...cycle_parking/