BC Sport Bikes Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Where the F*ck do I find a 22mm hex wrench?

6K views 34 replies 17 participants last post by  flowrider 
#1 ·
As the title states. Where the f*ck do I find a 22mm hex wrench today? I've tried in no particular order: Lordco, Home Depot, Princess Auto, Carter Coq.

RMS - closed
Pac Yam - closed
Imperial - closed
BK - closed

Any other suggestions? I need to remove the front axle off my Kawi(=junk now) so I can do a front end switch over.

Help.

#6 ·
Muhahahahha kawi = junk is always funnier when its said by a kawi owner.

#8 ·
I like those motion pro tools. I saw one or something similar at BK before Xmas and should have picked it up when I had the chance but noooooooo. I though for some reason a 22mm would be easy to get. I'm kicking myself now.

ss I've pm'ed you. Pureevil, jajajajajaja. Bill hope he bought you a bunch of beer and a new one.

#9 ·
flowrider said:
I like those motion pro tools. I saw one or something similar at BK before Xmas and should have picked it up when I had the chance but noooooooo. I though for some reason a 22mm would be easy to get. I'm kicking myself now.

ss I've pm'ed you. Pureevil, jajajajajaja. Bill hope he bought you a bunch of beer and a new one.
Yes,I was in the same situation myself once trying to take a axle off.I made up one out of a bolt and nut and a little welding.:)

#11 · (Edited)
I believe your Kawi tool kit has a handle with hex head on one end - not sure if its 22mm.

You can also get creative. I can't remember for sure but I used the 5/8" spark plug socket, the drive end is very close to 22mm, the last time I took the front axle off. The trick is to be able to insert the extension bar through the open end and some brand may not allow this.

#14 ·
Ditto for looking in the tool kit. I don't remember how many bits need to be fitted together (it's a real Mecano set in there) but it works.

You HAVE figured out how to get the rear seat of by now I trust.... :evilgrin

#17 ·
flowrider said:
As the title states. Where the f*ck do I find a 22mm hex wrench today? I've tried in no particular order: Lordco, Home Depot, Princess Auto, Carter Coq.

RMS - closed
Pac Yam - closed
Imperial - closed
BK - closed

Any other suggestions? I need to remove the front axle off my Kawi(=junk now) so I can do a front end switch over.

Help.
Bit the bullet and bought it from Snap On....ooch.

#20 ·
For kawi axle, from your socket set, take spark plug socket, flip and insert extender through the back so hou can get your ratchet on there. most if not all spark plug sockets have the hex head machined into them. instant axle tool.

next time try asking this on a kawi forum and you'll get the answer faster. :D

#21 ·
fish_antlers said:
For kawi axle, from your socket set, take spark plug socket, flip and insert extender through the back so hou can get your ratchet on there. most if not all spark plug sockets have the hex head machined into them. instant axle tool.

I've tried this with about a half dozen spark plug sockets. All of them did not have the 3/8" socket portion machined all the way through. I tried ALL the options but for me none of them worked the way I wanted them to. I just don't like screwing around and like to use the right tool for the job. Anyway I found a Motion Pro hex tool at Carter and they gave me a nice little discount!:thumbup

#22 ·
fish_antlers said:
For kawi axle, from your socket set, take spark plug socket, flip and insert extender through the back so hou can get your ratchet on there. ...
I found this doesn't work for me either. On the last few bikes I've worked on none of the sparkplug socket options I have (about 4 of them) were large enough to fit in the hex of the new generation of bikes. This applies to the Duc 900 I had as well as the FZ1, ZX-9R and the new Z1K. I think this used to work but the larger axles found on the new bikes got large enough that we're out in the cold now.

I've got a 7/8 allen wrench that I lightly ground down so it fits the 22mm axles. Not a common tool to find though.

#23 ·
fish_antlers said:

I mentioned the 5/8" plug socket at the start of the thread but like I said..not all brands allow the extension to go through to the drive end. 22mm allen key is the thing to have for all Kawi owners. :thumbup

#26 ·
SS, it doesn't reallly show in the pic clearly but does the outer two larger sizes slide on the inner core by any chance? Seems like the outer hexs are long enough that they would prevent the larger inside ones from engaging on blind recesses properly unless the larger bit slides. Or are the two outer ones short enough that it's not an issue in actual use?

Oh, and I should have mentioned that while some of the hexs on my plug sockets did fit with an interference fit they were wobbly enough that I did not want to force them and cause any serious marking or deformation in the axle recess. As far as I'm concerned if it's not fitting to within about a mm then it's too loose and will cause some damage to the recess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.