Banning Pit Bulls
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19

Thread: Banning Pit Bulls

  1. #1
    Registered User Array Chumly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Vancouver
    Bike
    Honda & Suzuki

    Banning Pit Bulls

    Banning Pit Bulls would be like banning cars because people get killed in car accidents! Who's responsible, the car or the driver/manufacturer? Any car can be deadly in the wrong hands or if built with defective parts. Same thing with dogs... Any dog. Pit Bulls are no more responsible for the way they are bred, raised and trained, than cars are responsible for the way they are designed, built and driven.

    Simply put, the best argument against breed bans is that they are costly and ineffective. Breed bans are often a knee-jerk reaction from politicians who want to say they are "doing something", after a highly publicized dog attack (of any breed). This is a useless exercise. What kind of message are we telling abusive and irresponsible individuals when legislation makes the dogs pay the price for their action?

    Criminals habitually break laws, so having an "illegal breed" may indeed be attractive to undesirable individuals and entice them to breed and sell more "illegal dogs". If their dog is confiscated and killed, they don't care. They will just get another one because BSL punishes the dog, not the owner.

    On the other hand, law abiding and responsible owners, whose dogs love people and have never done anything wrong, can see their homes invaded, often without a search warrant, and their beloved family member dragged away (in front of their children) to be killed. Not because the dog was unstable or mean, but simply because of its breed. Meanwhile, the owners of truly dangerous dogs (of any breed) escape punishment because their breed is not targeted by legislation and therefore believed "safe".

    A 10 Lbs Pomeranian killed a baby a few years ago...
    http://www.pitbullsontheweb.com/petb...gislation.html

  2. #2
    contradiction incarnate Array slam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    BC
    Bike
    TBA
    I've never, in my life, understood how the banning of an animal could make sense to anyone.
    nobody gets out alive

  3. #3
    Registered User Array Chumly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Vancouver
    Bike
    Honda & Suzuki
    I own a Chow Chow and my neighbor (not close) wrote a letter to the City (cc’ed to the RCMP) claiming my dog “charged” after them while “barking and growling”. The actual facts were that my dog trotted down my driveway as she thought I was going to take her for walk (I was behind her on the driveway) and she stopped in front of the people near the bottom of the driveway and stood there.

    I am going to be writing a letter counter to their allegations. There was no “charged”, no “barking” no growling”. They had small kids with them and I gather that Chow Chow’s may have a undeservedly bad reputation. While I was getting my dog this neighbor called me a number of insulting terms and told me how dangerous my dog was.

    Bunch of dickweeds.......

  4. #4
    builder of bikes Array cosworth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    The Island
    Bike
    bah
    BCSB thread #3450986 that has ALREADY been beat to death.

    http://www.bcsportbikes.com/forum/sh...t=pit+bull+ban

  5. #5
    Registered User Array
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Okanagan
    Bike
    nekkid
    Ban the owners.

    I don't have a problem with pit bulls or any other breed.

    It's bad dog owners who screw it for everyone.

    I was terrorized by a few dogs when I was a kid. A couple of those f*ckers would have killed me if they had got off the chain. One used to try and pull me off my scooter whilst foaming at the mouth. Then there was the meanest chiwhawa ... those little suckers can be mean ... take your ankle off.

    Yep. I'm no dog lover. But I don't care what kind of dog anyone owns as long as they keep the f*cker away from me.

    Most dog owners slay me. They figure everyone wants to pet their dog and have it jump up them. Not. Just because you love your dog dosn't mean the rest of us do.

  6. #6
    Registered User Array Chumly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Vancouver
    Bike
    Honda & Suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by cosworth
    BCSB thread #3450986 that has ALREADY been beat to death.http://www.bcsportbikes.com/forum/sh...t=pit+bull+ban
    Yes & no. The feeble neighbors in question are such inane puerile vomit drops plus there is a personal spin on it says Mrs. Chow Chow.

  7. #7
    builder of bikes Array cosworth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    The Island
    Bike
    bah
    What ever happened chumly, don't forget it actually upset someone.

  8. #8
    Registered User Array SpideRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Fraser Valley
    Bike
    ...
    Breed bans are simply not the answer.
    Cry in the dojo, laugh on the battlefield
    -----
    Sparring speed is a matter of simple physics:
    The height of your flight is inversely proportionate to the mass of your ass.

  9. #9
    Registered User Array Chumly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Vancouver
    Bike
    Honda & Suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by cosworth
    What ever happened chumly, don't forget it actually upset someone.
    A fair response, still, at some point I must at least in part dismiss their fears as unreasonable and counter their accusations as untenable otherwise should someone else make a similar claim I can be charged.

    Also I was on the driveway with my dog prior to my dog going down the driveway so there is no question about how the events unfolded.

    Are you familiar with the so-called “first bite free law”?

  10. #10
    Registered User Array
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Nordel
    Bike
    03 SV650S/DR350E
    Quote Originally Posted by Chumly
    I own a Chow Chow and my neighbor (not close) wrote a letter to the City (cc’ed to the RCMP) claiming my dog “charged” after them while “barking and growling”. The actual facts were that my dog trotted down my driveway as she thought I was going to take her for walk (I was behind her on the driveway) and she stopped in front of the people near the bottom of the driveway and stood there.

    I am going to be writing a letter counter to their allegations. There was no “charged”, no “barking” no growling”. They had small kids with them and I gather that Chow Chow’s may have a undeservedly bad reputation. While I was getting my dog this neighbor called me a number of insulting terms and told me how dangerous my dog was.

    Bunch of dickweeds.......
    One reason BSL (breed specific legislation) is becoming more of an issue is because of people's attitudes towards roaming pets and the well documented history of certain breeds and 'incidents', some as frivolous as what you say you experienced.

    The fact is, your dog was not under control at the time the people walked in front of your house (assuming they were on a public right of way) or this 'incident' would not have occurred.

    You had to go and get her - did she not come back to you when you called her?

    One cannot blame those people for feeling threatened by your dog, whether the dog was or was not threatening them. Their complaint stems from their PERCEPTION of your dog as it approached them. Some people are just scared of dogs. Especially black dogs, whose facial expressions are harder to read.

    Can't blame the dog; she's just doing what dogs do, after all.....

    So, looks like you're left holding the responsibility bag for this incident. Must admit that it was low of them to insult you though.

    My hope for your dog is that the municipality doesn't put you on notice that her next "incident" will put her on record as a 'dangerous dog'. It can and does happen.

    BTW, does your homeowner's insurance cover dog incidents like bites or accidents caused by dogs? Do they have breed-specific exclusions?
    I'd make myself aware of that.......just in case.

    An ounce of prevention for next time.....
    RIP Julia, our shining light

  11. #11
    Registered User Array Chumly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Vancouver
    Bike
    Honda & Suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by dizzy
    One reason BSL (breed specific legislation) is becoming more of an issue is because of people's attitudes towards roaming pets and the well documented history of certain breeds and 'incidents', some as frivolous as what you say you experienced.

    The fact is, your dog was not under control at the time the people walked in front of your house (assuming they were on a public right of way) or this 'incident' would not have occurred.

    You had to go and get her - did she not come back to you when you called her?

    One cannot blame those people for feeling threatened by your dog, whether the dog was or was not threatening them. Their complaint stems from their PERCEPTION of your dog as it approached them. Some people are just scared of dogs. Especially black dogs, whose facial expressions are harder to read.

    Can't blame the dog; she's just doing what dogs do, after all.....

    So, looks like you're left holding the responsibility bag for this incident. Must admit that it was low of them to insult you though.

    My hope for your dog is that the municipality doesn't put you on notice that her next "incident" will put her on record as a 'dangerous dog'. It can and does happen.

    BTW, does your homeowner's insurance cover dog incidents like bites or accidents caused by dogs? Do they have breed-specific exclusions?
    I'd make myself aware of that.......just in case.

    An ounce of prevention for next time.....
    I can’t concur that there is a consequential body of scientific, unbiased, accurate, statistically relevant data to suggest that there is well a documented history of certain breeds being more dangerous and hence it's not the owner’s actions towards certain breeds. Can you show me please?

    I would say that the definition of control must take into account the spirit of the word as used in context. This needs to be based in part on considerations such as whether the supposed lack of control poses a danger, whether or not the dog did indeed cause harm, a reasonable definition of harm in context, and perhaps most to the point in this case: many people where I live have their dogs off leash as there are no leash laws, and these circumstances are not considered out of control unless there is a clear indication of a threat/harm.

    I can't see how my dog’s focus on going down my driveway, on my property because she was interested in going for a walk is a threat, irrelative of how the people initially perceived it, and irrelative of the fact that the dog eventually landed on public property.

    I did not call my dog as I figured it was faster and easier to go get her, knowing that when she really wants to go for walk, she can be a bit stubborn.

    I would say that there is no such thing as absolute control over a dog there is only reasonable control over a dog.

    I don’t know what my homeowner's insurance covers but it’s a great thing to look into, and I thank you!

    Good perspectives!
    Last edited by Chumly; 01-02-2006 at 12:10 AM.

  12. #12
    Gangster Of Love Array Gawd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Vancouver
    Bike
    2006 GSXR 1000
    I didnt read all the posts word for word.. but heres my thoughts.
    Pitbulls, Rottweilers and the like in my experience usually are very nice dogs. They can have a very mellow temperment.. but even the nicest ones ive seen can have a vicious side thats not seen in some other breeds. This is in no way a cause for banning a breed of dog, I just think there should be some strict enforcement on the type of people allowed to have these dogs. Alot of people who own them just dont give them the extra attention needed to handle them.
    Only dog i've ever really been attacked by is a Husky, but I rarely ever hear complaints about these dogs.
    I don't see where the chows being vicious comes from.. every chow ive seen looks like it has a hard enough time just moving, lol.

    Just my thoughts on the subject.. I think it's the uninformed or people who have had the one off bad experience that are being bitter about it.
    I've been punched by a russian, many others may have also.. maybe we should ban them?


    Ryan
    “Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence”.

    Don't Get Shot In The Back!

  13. #13
    100%GOON Array Pitdogboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Squampton
    Bike
    dirt pig
    Quote Originally Posted by cosworth
    BCSB thread #3450986 that has ALREADY been beat to death.

    http://www.bcsportbikes.com/forum/sh...t=pit+bull+ban
    Thanks Cos! Punish the deed not the breed !
    Last edited by Pitdogboy; 01-02-2006 at 12:04 AM.
    "Shoot to thrill play to kill
    Too many women too many pills"

    AC/DC

  14. #14
    Registered User Array mikeelliot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Fraser Valley
    Bike
    GSX-R600
    Quote Originally Posted by slam
    I've never, in my life, understood how the banning of an animal could make sense to anyone.
    Same as guns, the criminals dont follow laws.

    Fricken Liberals and their "we know whats best for you crap"

  15. #15
    Moderator Array PUREVIL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    In Your Girlfriend
    Bike
    05 Gixxer 1000 LE Supermoto: 07 DRZ400SM Dirt: 09 Kawasaki KX450F Monster Ed. 07 Custom Chopper
    Quote Originally Posted by slam
    I've never, in my life, understood how the banning of an animal could make sense to anyone.
    same can be said about guns.
    Mayor Of "Poserville"

    <----- Current Avatart Is *NWS*

    Kawi=Junk™, Honda=Boring™, Suzuki=Wannabes™, Yamaha=Posers™, Ducati=Overrated™, Aprilia=Insecure™, BMW=Compensation™, Harley Davidson=Garbage™, Buell=See Harley™

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •