Any Canadians out there own property in the U.S.?

Thread: Any Canadians out there own property in the U.S.?

Fast Pack Slow Guy Array Tattoodles's Avatar
    Lynn Valley represent WHAT?
    A privileged sufferer settling for an Italian motorcycle

Any Canadians out there own property in the U.S.?

My wife and I are thinking about buying some property in the U.S.

I'm wondering if any of you all have had experience w/ this. How long can you live in the States for without a work permit or visa? Are there restrictions as a foreign national for buying property.

I'm going to be talking to an immigration lawyer this week, but I'd very much like to hear some people's experiences.

In Your Girlfriend
    05 Gixxer 1000 LE Supermoto: 07 DRZ400SM Dirt: 09 Kawasaki KX450F Monster Ed. 07 Custom Chopper
    Well Im an American living in canada..... but Im also a dual citizen. The biggest problem we had was trying to buy a place.... cuz our credit history didn't/couldn't work in canada so it was like we had no credit, it was like starting over. So that made buying a place tough. One thing I found out now is when you move down declare everything you... even if its stuff you dont plan on bringing right away but stuff you may bring in the future too. When I first moved here I didn't think guns were allowed in canada. But I got my license and bought a few toys... so I thought well I'll get my desert eagle imported but the importer said I had to pay taxes on it, im like why I have paperwork that shows I bought it 5 years ago? He said well you didnt declare it when you moved. SHIT so im going to have to pay taxes on it again.

One other thing.... never take anyones word on things like importing exporting. I called customs a few times on bringing my car over... I was told to do this... I was told to do that... when I got to the border they didn't tell me I had to export it first from the states. Luckily for me I had my title so I was able to leave the title at the border instead of the car like your supposed to do. Just make sure you keep in mind both countries.. chances are if you have to import something someone will want it exported. I guess I didn't think about those things. I just packed up and tried to get across hahaha.

Sorry that Im not much help here with specifics but hopefully I helped a lil. If I think of more I will post up again.
    Mayor Of "Poserville"

<----- Current Avatart Is *NWS*

Kawi=Junk™, Honda=Boring™, Suzuki=Wannabes™, Yamaha=Posers™, Ducati=Overrated™, Aprilia=Insecure™, BMW=Compensation™, Harley Davidson=Garbage™, Buell=See Harley™

there aren't much restrictions on foreigners purchasing real property in the US. the main problems come when you try to sell the property - then there's all sorts of withholding taxes and special reporting in the US (i.e. FIRPTA rules).

Heres an interesting site re: travelling/working in the US
    Chuck Norris can win a game of Connect Four in only three moves.