BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Comfort for long distance riding.

2K views 19 replies 15 participants last post by  michael 
#1 ·
Does anyone wear padded bicicle shorts under their gear? Have you heard of anyone doing this? After about 4 or 5 hours of riding I feel like I've just been released from prision:surrender I am seriously considering getting a pair. I repeat, does anyone wear padded bike short under their gear? Thank-you

G
#3 · (Edited)
most people that do long distance riding would probably go for an aftermarket gel seat.

unless cycling shorts have had a major breakthru in padding technology, that thin layer of foam, leather, or whatever else they use for the padding is not gonna do a whole lot.

#10 ·
I always wear running tights (shorts) under my leathers. Pretty much the same as cycling shorts but without the padding in the butt. The fabric stays in place and won't bunch up at all. Also the seams are thin and should be located in an area that will not be uncomfortable.

I also tried cycling shorts with the butt-pad but didn't notice any advantage to the pad. Actually didn't like it because it felt like there was something in my shorts (that didn't belong there!)

#12 ·
Riding lots and lots will toughen you up.

I hate that last 50 klicks till the next gas stop near the end of a long day's ride. Everything hurts. You try to stand up, squirm, straighten legs out one at a time, lean from side to side, and ride one handed. And I always speed up to get there quicker.

There's no life like it.

#13 · (Edited)
I bought a Corbin seat this winter (can't wait to try it out), but could already go +4 hours in my stock seat.

Some of us have a bit more padding then others, but bike design helps lots. Mine is upright and comfy, supersports are not.

Edit: It also helps if you pull a Silence of the Lambs and "tuck it up". LOL. Of course, then you have to play that song on your MP3 player.

#14 ·
I think the main thing (at least for me) is to avoid clothing (underwear, pants) that has seams between where I put my weight on my butt and the seat. That seems to help a great deal.

#19 ·
I got a corbin for my bike... I find it to hard and it locks your butt in one postion... went back to the stock seat.. lots of room to move around...tried the bike shorts...not the best...a very small pillow will help a lot..no joking..it works, just leave it in your tank bag on long trips and use it when needed.

#20 ·
Bicycle shorts have a couple of advantages.
No seams in the pressure spots.
Moisture wicking capability.
I will ride with either bicycle shorts, or moisture wicking, boxer type of shorts.
Of course, the ultimate, and yes, I have a pair, is:
http://www.ldcomfort.com

The other advantage of the newer, moisture wicking materials, is easy cleaning. When running hard and long cross country, I can wash 'em in the tub of the motel, hang them up to dry and put them on after a 4 hour nap.
Packing is now reduced too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.