GSXR750 vs 1000
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: GSXR750 vs 1000

Registered User Array
    Bike
    yes

GSXR750 vs 1000

I want to get one of these new to learn first hand what it is about these GSXRs. Just by reading around I can see how many people consider 750s more fun to ride, easier to control power etc.

Could somebody with direct experience on both give some advice?

My personal abilities to ride are not a factor here. Let's assume I am very experienced on all kind of bikes except GSXRs, street and track.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

doug
    up until the k5, the 1000 was a punched 750 engine with a few extra goodies.

the weight difference is negligible, the power difference is not.

the 1000 has a ton of torque thru the curve. the 750 will be a bit more high strung.

Bike
    K3.1K
    I can't speak directly to the new gsxr1000. But I came from an R1 to an 04 gsxr 750. I find the 750 like a 600 with more power - in my mind its the perfect combination of torque, midrange, and top end. Throw in 600ss handling and you're at the perfect beast.

I found my R1 to be more of a handfull to ride on a day to day basis. Most likely similar horsepower numbers, (R1 was a 98), but the big difference is power application. The 750 is a tad more forgiving as the power is higher up the rev range. The liter bikes let you know QUICKLY if you dont have a steady right hand.

I can only imagine the >K5 1000's amplify this fact.

That being said I would add a K5 1000 to the stable in a heartbeat.

builder of bikes Array cosworth's Avatar
    Bike
    bah
    The K5 gixxer 1000 weighs less than the K5 600. And has 50 more horsepower. The 750 is a good safe balance.

Any litre bike is insane. 929s don't count.

:) you'll live longer Array rockshoxbiker's Avatar
    Bike
    Yamaha
    My comparison of a 2001 1K and a 02 750 is that the 750 pull very strong, and when you roll on that throttle it really gets going, kind of like an unlimited amount of power able to push the bike faster and faster.
    The suspension is great on this thing and brakes are top notch too.

The 1K has a stupid amount of power that makes me have to consider wheelspin when rolling on the throttle, and the insane amount of power is addicting.
    The suspension soaks up the bumps well, but I haven’t had a chance to make any adjustments. For some reason, I feel like the 1k doesn’t seem to change direction as easily as my 750. It feels a bit sluggish to lean over.

The Gixxers can have the rear ends raised to quicken up the steering and the forks can be lowered a bit as well to add to that.

That’s my 2 cents

Mr. Sophisticata Array toomuchgsxr's Avatar
    Bike
    05 Gixx 1000
    The K5 will tear the 750 a new ass..like Cos said "its insane" try the 750 ..more than enough for the street.

But the K5 can do some neat-o shit. ie 4th gear wheelies.
    Team Troll - Triple T

Bike
    pedal commuter & gixxer
    I personally love my 750. I don't ever take passengers, and I prefer very twisty roads over sweepers (think California coastal goat roads at least twice a year).
    One big factor you will face every month is the insurance payments. The 750 is a fair bit less than the 1000. It is in the same category as the 600's.

doug
    Quote Originally Posted by FLAX
    I personally love my 750. I don't ever take passengers, and I prefer very twisty roads over sweepers (think California coastal goat roads at least twice a year).
    One big factor you will face every month is the insurance payments. The 750 is a fair bit less than the 1000. It is in the same category as the 600's.
    categories mean little. bikes are not insured by rate class. they are insured by declared value, theft/collision risk...

http://www.icbc.com/insurance/insura_prmset_vehicl.asp

most people claim to be paying upwards of $200 or so a month for a 600. everyone i know that rides a 1000 pays at least $50 less than that.

Bike
    bah
    Quote Originally Posted by toomuchgsxr
    But the K5 can do some neat-o shit. ie 4th gear wheelies.
    Mine has rasied its nose in 6th over crests at full chat. I'm not light either...

Bike
    2007 BMW G650X-Challenge
    Quote Originally Posted by doug
    categories mean little. bikes are not insured by rate class. they are insured by declared value, theft/collision risk...

http://www.icbc.com/insurance/insura_prmset_vehicl.asp

most people claim to be paying upwards of $200 or so a month for a 600. everyone i know that rides a 1000 pays at least $50 less than that.
    wrong, bikes are put into cc catagories

0-110cc
    111-400cc
    401-750cc
    751-1150cc
    1151cc+

So, the GSXR750 is in the same class as the GSXR600, but if it is the same year, would be more expensive to insure as it would be worth more than the 600.

But...if you have a 2001 750 and a 2005 600, the 05 is going to be worth more than the 750, which will make it more expensive.

Confused???

Basically a $8000 VFR800 is the same to insure as a $8000 ZX10 and is the same to insure as a $8000 KTM Adventure 950.

Not the best way to rate bikes as it should be done by cc amount and hp rating. There is no way a KLR650 should cost the same to insure as a GSXR750, but it is.
    Dan
    2007 BMW G650X Challenge

Bike
    2007 BMW G650X-Challenge
    You also forgot that when most people quote what they pay for insurance/month, they usually always quote the "after discount" price.

2 people with identical bikes and declared values will pay the same "before discount" price. Some people have optional coverage, some don't, others have higher 3rd party liability, some have none.
    Dan
    2007 BMW G650X Challenge

Bike
    bah
    Quote Originally Posted by Bora20
    Prove it....

doug
    Quote Originally Posted by Bora20
    you obviously failed to read the link posted where it says bikes are not in a rate class but a declaired value class.

of course displacement is involved, but not as much as you think.

Bike
    2007 BMW G650X-Challenge
    DougYou are damn right they are involved. In the last 3 years, I have owned a SV650S, Z1000, and now ST1300.

They are in the 401-750cc, 751-1150cc, and 1151cc+ catagories respectively.

Each year, the difference between the basic insurance was +$300/year. So it is involved.

But you are right, the most difference is with the declared value, I never disputed that, I agree with you, I just didn't type that out, which I am doing now.

Cosworth: I don't have to prove it, when you initialy register your bike, ICBC asks you for you cc amount, to put it into the right class.

0-110cc - rate class 310
    401-750cc - rate class 311
    751-1150cc - rate class 312
    1150cc+ - rate class 313

Go check your insurance papers, they will say your rate class on them.
    Dan
    2007 BMW G650X Challenge

Bike
    Honda. Still. Again.
    You're both right.
    The "basic," insurance is rated under the cc displacement table posted earlier.
    The bigger the displacement, the higher the premium for the "basic," coverage.

Collision/comprehensive or <shudder> specified perils, is based on the "declared value," and has nothing to do with the displacement.