BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

GSXR750 vs 1000

2K views 25 replies 12 participants last post by  VTwinVince 
#1 ·
I want to get one of these new to learn first hand what it is about these GSXRs. Just by reading around I can see how many people consider 750s more fun to ride, easier to control power etc.

Could somebody with direct experience on both give some advice?

My personal abilities to ride are not a factor here. Let's assume I am very experienced on all kind of bikes except GSXRs, street and track.

G
#2 ·
up until the k5, the 1000 was a punched 750 engine with a few extra goodies.

the weight difference is negligible, the power difference is not.

the 1000 has a ton of torque thru the curve. the 750 will be a bit more high strung.

#3 ·
I can't speak directly to the new gsxr1000. But I came from an R1 to an 04 gsxr 750. I find the 750 like a 600 with more power - in my mind its the perfect combination of torque, midrange, and top end. Throw in 600ss handling and you're at the perfect beast.

I found my R1 to be more of a handfull to ride on a day to day basis. Most likely similar horsepower numbers, (R1 was a 98), but the big difference is power application. The 750 is a tad more forgiving as the power is higher up the rev range. The liter bikes let you know QUICKLY if you dont have a steady right hand.

I can only imagine the >K5 1000's amplify this fact.

That being said I would add a K5 1000 to the stable in a heartbeat.

#5 ·
My comparison of a 2001 1K and a 02 750 is that the 750 pull very strong, and when you roll on that throttle it really gets going, kind of like an unlimited amount of power able to push the bike faster and faster.
The suspension is great on this thing and brakes are top notch too.

The 1K has a stupid amount of power that makes me have to consider wheelspin when rolling on the throttle, and the insane amount of power is addicting.
The suspension soaks up the bumps well, but I haven’t had a chance to make any adjustments. For some reason, I feel like the 1k doesn’t seem to change direction as easily as my 750. It feels a bit sluggish to lean over.

The Gixxers can have the rear ends raised to quicken up the steering and the forks can be lowered a bit as well to add to that.

That’s my 2 cents

#7 ·
I personally love my 750. I don't ever take passengers, and I prefer very twisty roads over sweepers (think California coastal goat roads at least twice a year).
One big factor you will face every month is the insurance payments. The 750 is a fair bit less than the 1000. It is in the same category as the 600's.

G
#8 ·
FLAX said:
I personally love my 750. I don't ever take passengers, and I prefer very twisty roads over sweepers (think California coastal goat roads at least twice a year).
One big factor you will face every month is the insurance payments. The 750 is a fair bit less than the 1000. It is in the same category as the 600's.
categories mean little. bikes are not insured by rate class. they are insured by declared value, theft/collision risk...

http://www.icbc.com/insurance/insura_prmset_vehicl.asp

most people claim to be paying upwards of $200 or so a month for a 600. everyone i know that rides a 1000 pays at least $50 less than that.

#10 ·
doug said:
categories mean little. bikes are not insured by rate class. they are insured by declared value, theft/collision risk...

most people claim to be paying upwards of $200 or so a month for a 600. everyone i know that rides a 1000 pays at least $50 less than that.
wrong, bikes are put into cc catagories

0-110cc
111-400cc
401-750cc
751-1150cc
1151cc+

So, the GSXR750 is in the same class as the GSXR600, but if it is the same year, would be more expensive to insure as it would be worth more than the 600.

But...if you have a 2001 750 and a 2005 600, the 05 is going to be worth more than the 750, which will make it more expensive.

Confused???

Basically a $8000 VFR800 is the same to insure as a $8000 ZX10 and is the same to insure as a $8000 KTM Adventure 950.

Not the best way to rate bikes as it should be done by cc amount and hp rating. There is no way a KLR650 should cost the same to insure as a GSXR750, but it is.

#11 ·
You also forgot that when most people quote what they pay for insurance/month, they usually always quote the "after discount" price.

2 people with identical bikes and declared values will pay the same "before discount" price. Some people have optional coverage, some don't, others have higher 3rd party liability, some have none.

#14 ·
DougYou are damn right they are involved. In the last 3 years, I have owned a SV650S, Z1000, and now ST1300.

They are in the 401-750cc, 751-1150cc, and 1151cc+ catagories respectively.

Each year, the difference between the basic insurance was +$300/year. So it is involved.

But you are right, the most difference is with the declared value, I never disputed that, I agree with you, I just didn't type that out, which I am doing now.:drinkbeer

Cosworth: I don't have to prove it, when you initialy register your bike, ICBC asks you for you cc amount, to put it into the right class.

0-110cc - rate class 310
401-750cc - rate class 311
751-1150cc - rate class 312
1150cc+ - rate class 313

Go check your insurance papers, they will say your rate class on them.:)

#15 ·
You're both right.
The "basic," insurance is rated under the cc displacement table posted earlier.
The bigger the displacement, the higher the premium for the "basic," coverage.

Collision/comprehensive or <shudder> specified perils, is based on the "declared value," and has nothing to do with the displacement.

#16 ·
I have ridden both ( an 03 1000, 03 750, and now a 02 750)

The difference between the two bikes is a noticeable increase in top end power and torque for the 1000. At high speeds the 1000 still pulls like a freight train while the 750 still is pulling but not as quickly.

I have confirmed this with a test through Cassiar tunnel that will remain secret.

Another big question is this:

Are you looking at an older GSXR model? i.e an 03 or older?

The reason is that for the K3 750 model, it is still the older generation GSXR with non-radial brakes, and the traditional 1000 frame. The K3 1000 is narrower and comes with superior radially mounted brakes and a 32-bit fuel injection. The new 750's have a very compact frame that is the same as the 600 and are radially mounted with 32bit injection.

I can't say anything about the K5+ but I found the 750 easier to lean at high speeds than the K3. The other thing is that the 750 is much more forgiving if you don't match revs when shifting into a corner. The other thing is wheel spin-since I don't weigh much this was a problem for me if I was too generous with the the throttle.

But given the sheer power and awe-inspiring acceleration of the 1000 any small changes in cornering are completely forgotten.

If you are a highway rider, then a 1000 may be more for you as the 1000 has a counter balance shaft that reduces vibrations. I have found the 750 more "buzzy" on highways.

Overall, if you can afford the 1000 and have the skills to handle this bike, then I would say go for the 1000. I chose to buy another 750 for a number of reasons that are not performance related. On sheer numbers the 1000 is a superior machine

That is not say that you would not enjoy the 750, which in itself is a fantastically balanced and powerful machine, but if you are after sheer adrenaline machine then the 1000 is for you.

Me, I'm happy to have another 750 again :)

#19 ·
doug said:

I agree...I was paying $130 a month last year for my 1000. Size class does a little for price but declared value is the big one. As far as a comparison, well my 02 750 was a blast but there is something about being able to pull the front end up at 120 and carry it past 220. If you like the twisties though, the 750 is sweet. Both have more then enough power.

#20 ·
Dano had a new 600. I had a new 1000. We both had very close declared values. I paid $10 more a month.

Seeing 600s trying to keep up in the mountains and seeing them having to stop for fuel way before we need to, the 750 is a good choice for someone who is light and doesn't need eleventy billion horsepower.

#21 ·
BluNineR said:
Ok I'll be the nerd and ask about cost of ownership. Is the k in the above 1000cc insurance bracket or is it 999cc? Is the 750 noticeably easier on gas and tires?
Somebody correct me if I am wrong but the insurance brackets are: 0-400, 401-750, 751-1100, 1101-1400, 1401+

As far as tires, the 1000 went through more backs(on it more then the front). Gas is better for me on the 1000, no dancing through gears.

#24 ·
Thanks everybody who took his time to answer. Let me try to make my question more clear:

1 - I only consider brand new '06 models.

2- Straight line power is not important for me really. I already have '04 R1. What I suspect after reading here and there is that GSXR750 sacrifices some power for MUCH better controllability on the road and track. Is it true? Can somebody who had both late model GSXRs confirm that?

Let me explain again; riding R1 on many occasions I would hesitate to open the throttle fully, turn exit etc even on the track. On the street especially the power is really too much. I would gladly trade some of it for something like my SV650 in handling and confidence department. I am trying to figure out if Gixxer 750 will make it significant enough to be worthwile. Otherwise i will just buy a 1000 and have it done with.

3 - The insurance costs and class mean nothing to me.

#26 ·
I tried the K5 1000 going up the canyon last summer, followed by my 04 750. I found the litre to have insane power, which is delivered very smoothly and in a linear fashion. The 750 is more high strung, but I find it a more reassuring ride. At one point I was overtaking traffic, looked at the speedo, and realized I was passing at over 200 in second gear, on the 1000. It didn't feel like it was even breaking a sweat. That's scary power.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.