Newbie rules for GROUP riding

Thread: Newbie rules for GROUP riding

Newbie rules for GROUP riding

I put this together (with help) on and thought someone over here may learn something from it.

1. Don't ride beyond your comfort zone

Just because you bought a high performance bike, don't assume that you can make the corner the guy in front of you just carved on his beater. That person may or may not have: years of riding and racing under their belt, carved that corner a million times, rode that bike since childhood.

2. Hold your line

If your going to change lanes ALWAYS signal and then take a good look (shoulder check) BEFORE you change lanes. (lanes = regular lanes and positions within a lane).

3. Passing

a) Passing another rider:

Never pass on a corner as the person in front of you owns the road - GIVE THEM ROOM.

b) Passing a vehicle:

When a group is que'd up to pass a slower vehicle, the rider in lane position 1 (left side of the lane) has the right of way, do not try to pass as this rider might pull out. That said, don't occupy position 1 if you don't intend on passing as soon as it is safe keeping in mind Rule 4.

c) When passing a vehicle DO NOT slow down after you pull out. Instead continue accelerating until a safe distance past the vehicle and then pull in front and over to the right side of the lane so who's ever coming behind you has room to pull in.

4. Don't hold anyone up

If someone is riding close behind you or you suspect even slightly that the person might want to go faster than you, don't go faster, let them pass. Move to the right side of the lane (after you've checked to make sure its clear) and wave them past.

5. Stay away from the front of the pack

Until you have at least a few group rides under your belt its best to stay at, or near, the back of the pack, observe and learn. Riders at the front tend to go faster and ride much closer together. Its not a place to be when all aspects of riding are not second nature.

Ride in staggered formation. If the group exceeds the speed limit, then go single file, giving the rider ahead plenty of room.

Don't worry about trying to keep up with the group. Someone, or the whole group, will wait for you either down the road, or at the next turn off. Someone will stay at the turn to make sure you know they've turned. In other words don't feel bad or guilty for not keeping up. Group rides are about meeting new friends and and enjoying the sport with other people, fast and slow.

Use arm signals to supplement your bikes turn signals if you feel comfortable doing so.

If you see debris on the road, point at it with your foot if you feel comfortable doing so.

NOTE: Don't assume that other riders in the group will abide by the above rules and tips so do your best to always be aware of your surroundings.

2. Remove Advertisements

dirt pig
    good one...
    "Shoot to thrill play to kill
    Too many women too many pills"

I do all my own stunts Array boarder's Avatar
    only 1 bike now, '02 gsxr750
    reminds me of an old thread we put together last year, I updated it abit.

this is for the newb rides, for the experienced riders too

as for telling newbs to alert other riders of debris, how about they concentrate on riding, and the experienced riders alert everyone of debris? Also, pick your groups, ride with people who will give you feedback, ask about your body postion, feet positions on the pegs, remebering downshifting before corners to hold a proper rev range, holding a constant throtle in corners, when to relax, getting caught up in your mirrors...all sorts questions you should be asking.

As an experienced rider, you're not here to teach someone how to ride, that's what lessons are for, only go over tips for safety, and make sure you cover your ass on group rides. There's been inceidents in the past where someone has crashed and blamed the group leaders.
    Last edited by boarder; 02-16-2006 at 03:34 PM.
    anyone wanna lend me a bike ?

Kawasaki Land Rover and a liter-twin
    New riders should always make sure they let other know they are new. Some may disagree with me, but they need to speek up.

All too often a ride "just happens", noone communicates or discusses how it should happen. IMO, new riders should at that point not join the group.

I know when Phil was putting on the newbie rides a couple of years ago, we had detailed discussion with the groups as to what to expect. IMO, this is really essential.

For you new riders: There is no shame in not having alot of experience. Let people know. Ask if someone is willing to ride with you. Ask where folks are meeting. And get a sense of the ride. It may not be new rider appropriate. One of the biggest mistakes you can make is try and 'keep up'.

Just my $0.02.